New grower, first attempt (indoors)

zolrooker

Interesting. With regards to percentages usually referred to like@TheUltimateNoob just also mentioned. Do those talk about RH or AH?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

I speak of RH... Because of the VPD chart and the fact that cannabis is affected by temperature as well, not just humidity.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Oh definitely, VPD chart is RH and to follow that you follow the RH, no other way.
I had thought his 2 units read differently and was trying to explain it, as I understood them before asking, so essentially my bad.
Haha, no worries. As long as@zolrooker gets what we're saying.

There's just too much of info on everything honestly... As soon as you learn about humidity, you hear of VPD... Once you know VPD, you learn you can push limits if you're using CO2...
It just keeps adding on top of the old information...

But whenever I mention humidity, I mean RH unless I state otherwise.

Thanks for the clarification between the 2 though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah, my 2 hygrometers for the clone domes, are around my room, and then my HTC2 hygrometer, and they all read differently, but have different temp and RH on them, but my dehumidifier has the actual, so it switches off and on at the actual. So it's getting used too also and fine tuning, too little humidity and the plant cant absorb CO2 and that was my issue now, but with my light being too close it was also getting too hot at that, it gave fox tails and bad buds on top.

Edited by StickyD420
Spelling
  • Like 1

Hi guys, just need some advice again please.. Im a bit worried about my temps. My temps are constantly running at around 30deg when lights are on.. Im a bit concerned on what is going to happen when i tirgger floweing as ive read that anything above 26deg is bad... plus Spring/Summer is not even here yet. Any ideas on what i can do to control it? Putting an A/C in the room is out of the question. Perhaps i can try an air evaporator (but this will increase humidity.. my humidity is low though...) or  should i just invest in bigger and better intake and exhaust fan? My current fans already should theoretically exhange the air 1.5 to 2 times a minute

Hi guys, just need some advice again please.. Im a bit worried about my temps. My temps are constantly running at around 30deg when lights are on.. Im a bit concerned on what is going to happen when i tirgger floweing as ive read that anything above 26deg is bad... plus Spring/Summer is not even here yet. Any ideas on what i can do to control it? Putting an A/C in the room is out of the question. Perhaps i can try an air evaporator (but this will increase humidity.. my humidity is low though...) or  should i just invest in bigger and better intake and exhaust fan? My current fans already should theoretically exhange the air 1.5 to 2 times a minute

I did research on ways to combat heat as I was worried about running my HPS during peak of summer , but what I found is that plants like warm temperatures of 30-35 degrees if you are supplementing high levels of CO2 ,so if you build a big version of those diy CO2 generators (talking like 2 5l bucket of fermenting yeast and sugar to release CO2) I’ve seen people claiming to have really high ppms of CO2 this way. Kinda out of my depth but thought could be really useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I did research on ways to combat heat as I was worried about running my HPS during peak of summer , but what I found is that plants like warm temperatures of 30-35 degrees if you are supplementing high levels of CO2 ,so if you build a big version of those diy CO2 generators (talking like 2 5l bucket of fermenting yeast and sugar to release CO2) I’ve seen people claiming to have really high ppms of CO2 this way. Kinda out of my depth but thought could be really useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks bud. I probably don't have space for 2 5l buckets though but I could put in whatever fits.. If it'll help. Also, I think@StickyD420 mentioned to me before that the light also needs to be at a certain PAR if supplementing c02, if I'm not mistaken

17 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

I rekon just get another fan to move more air around inside and get another or bigger exhaust fan.

As long as there is good movement of air u will be fine.

@TheUltimateNoob will tell u how hot his HID lights were in a very small space. But coz he had big fans moving air for that space. The plants were fine.

I did add a second fan yesterday for circulation and positioned it in the area between the light and the plants.

I also just went to get a small evaporative cooler (I just couldnt sit still lol) . Will hook it up and check if it cools the area without sending the humidity out of control. Might kill 2 birds with one stone since my humidity seems low anyways...

• Like 2

I rekon just get another fan to move more air around inside and get another or bigger exhaust fan.
As long as there is good movement of air u will be fine.
@TheUltimateNoob will tell u how hot his HID lights were in a very small space. But coz he had big fans moving air for that space. The plants were fine.
On the right track here bro.

And yeah,@zolrooker , my small HID lights would literally burn your fingers if you held it for more than a few seconds, but because my fans pulled air over the light and then exhausted it, the temps inside the enclosure never went above 26-27C.

I'm pretty sure I could pull off a full grow in it, will do so in a few months... But yeah, circulation is very important...

Also, if you could find any fan (even a pc one) and hook it up so that it cools your light, it will make a noticeable difference... You could even run 1 of the fans you have for circulation and the other just to cool your light.

Since your humidity is low anyway, and evaporative cooler might fix your issue, but once spring sets in the humidity will go up - and you're most likely going to be flowering not long after that - so I would find a way to drop the temps now first, and use the cooler only in veg due to the extra moisture it would add.

Cooling down your light and circulation will go a long way, and so will a bigger exhaust, as A.B mentioned in the comment I'm quoting.

• Like 2

On the right track here bro.

And yeah,@zolrooker , my small HID lights would literally burn your fingers if you held it for more than a few seconds, but because my fans pulled air over the light and then exhausted it, the temps inside the enclosure never went above 26-27C.

I'm pretty sure I could pull off a full grow in it, will do so in a few months... But yeah, circulation is very important...

Also, if you could find any fan (even a pc one) and hook it up so that it cools your light, it will make a noticeable difference... You could even run 1 of the fans you have for circulation and the other just to cool your light.

Since your humidity is low anyway, and evaporative cooler might fix your issue, but once spring sets in the humidity will go up - and you're most likely going to be flowering not long after that - so I would find a way to drop the temps now first, and use the cooler only in veg due to the extra moisture it would add.

Cooling down your light and circulation will go a long way, and so will a bigger exhaust, as A.B mentioned in the comment I'm quoting.

Hey bud, yes I've got a fan blowing directly on top and under the light since last night.
Would I need to get another intake and exhaust fan? Or only exhaust will suffice?
I don't have any passive air intake

Hey bud, yes I've got a fan blowing directly on top and under the light since last night.

Would I need to get another intake and exhaust fan? Or only exhaust will suffice?

I don't have any passive air intake

Okay cool let us know if the temps get any better.

I found that having a stronger exhaust will help a lot with lowering overall temperature because you're able to vent the space more often, giving the hot air less time to accumulate, since hot air rises and the exhaust generally sits above your light.

I don't run intake fans.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Okay cool let us know if the temps get any better. 
I found that having a stronger exhaust will help a lot with lowering overall temperature because you're able to vent the space more often, giving the hot air less time to accumulate, since hot air rises and the exhaust generally sits above your light.

I don't run intake fans.

I'm considering maybe cutting out a hole at the bottom or at the back of my cabinet. Would it make a big difference in the right direction?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

I'm considering maybe cutting out a hole at the bottom or at the back of my cabinet. Would it make a big difference in the right direction?

A hole would help. But if u making a hole and end up getting another fan. I suggest u use the hole as an exhaust.

But in the mean time. Make sure u cover the hole with a nice kinda net. To precent unwanted dirt and insects.

20200629_140916.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zolrooker said:

My friend is considering the same thing right now because of the same problem. It will work, but wherever you're making it, just make sure that there isn't excess dust that is going to be sucked up through the gap.

But it will definitely make a difference for the better as there will be free, cool air available for intake at a less restrictive airflow.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

A hole would help. But if u making a hole and end up getting another fan. I suggest u use the hole as an exhaust.

But in the mean time. Make sure u cover the hole with a nice kinda net. To precent unwanted dirt and insects.

20200629_140916.jpg

The idea to have more exhaust is better, but with the problem @zolrooker is having with regards to high temps, it would be better to intake from below the trees and exhaust out the top, I feel it's more efficient at keeping the air around the trees a bit cooler than the air at the top of the grow space, waiting to be extracted. (I tested this with my tent by placing thermometers in the grow space at plant level, almost all the way up, and in the exhaust line)

• Like 2

If below the plants canopy, or more past the plants green zone, then it wouldn't matter at all, bigger the better, obviously within reason and without light leaks, possibly as suggested you close it with a netting for hairs and fluff and dust.

Added, one 200mm or bigger each side, opposed at that. Will be best.

Edited by StickyD420
Spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, StickyD420 said:

If below the plants canopy, or more past the plants green zone, then it wouldn't matter at all, bigger the better, obviously within reason and without light leaks, possibly as suggested you close it with a netting for hairs and fluff and dust.

Added, one 200mm or bigger each side, opposed at that. Will be best.

This

Edited by TheUltimateNoob
  • Thanks 1

Maybe by removing the buckets at bottom, it won't as stuffy in there..? Here's how it looks in there currently. Excuse the wires and the bad pics. Was moving things around, hence the loose wires everywhere (plus I can never work neatly haha) and I sealed the left door from the inside, so the angle I have take pics is limited lol

It seems to me like the temp under the current pot height is slightly lower than pot height...

IMG_20200812_210548.thumb.jpg.147e5739b501acda2a4f76746ebcbb0f.jpgIMG_20200812_210934.thumb.jpg.729c7ed39417297bcc2dc31bcc72214e.jpgIMG_20200812_211012.thumb.jpg.4c1009d95b222cd40c405d56ee689a3a.jpg

3 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

Definitely it would let you drop the light, and get more space above it, for holding the heat before extraction. 

Fans blowing on a fabric pot, at a constant, will dry it out quickly

If I see correctly there is a heater, do you use it just for air flow?

Thx bro, I think I'll drop it first and see if things improve. If not, I'll make some holes.

I use heater to sustain temps when lights off.