Autoflowers & Trichome Colour

PsyCLown

Hey all,

I've got a question regarding auto flowers, something I've been wondering about.

Autoflowers are often advertised as seed to harvest in 12 weeks (3 months). Although with photoperiod plants, when you flip to flower you normally have to flower for 8 to 12 weeks and you use the colour of the trichomes to tell when the plant is ready.

Now I believe autoflowers also change to amber but does the change in trichome colour happen quicker with autos? Hlor how is it possible to harvest within 3 months?

For example let's say a photoperiods trichomes turn from clear to milky after 7 weeks of flowering.

Would an autoflower turn from clear to milky after say 3 weeks?

I know it can be strain specific, but let's say its the same strain which was bred with ruderalis to make it an auto.

Does the extra hours of light which autos get help speed up the process or what's the story? How does it work?

I've been pondering this particularly for my project where I'm spraying some autos with STS to reverse them and get seeds, but also just in general.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Edited by PsyCLown

• 3 weeks later...

So I dont have much, or any experience myself on the subject yet but im half way through my first autoflower grow and I had many of the same questions before I popped these seeds.

I can tell you so far these plants of mine are 12 weeks old now from seed and they still have some way to go before they are ready for harvest, however the breeder says 10 weeks from seed. (probably been about 6 weeks in flower)

Though ive seen some tiny autos that flower from like week 2 and end up done at week 10.

Personally when it comes to trichome maturity though, I think its more dependent on the strain and/or pheno you end up with than Auto vs Photo

I too am curious to know more though...

On 7/27/2019 at 12:33 PM, PsyCLown said:

does the change in trichome colour happen quicker with autos?

Would an autoflower turn from clear to milky after say 3 weeks?

Strain/pheno specific but yes.

Does the extra hours of light which autos get help speed up the process or what's the story? How does it work?

Ruderalis need no darkness to perform their duties, I run mine 24/0 from seedling to harvest (places do get natural 24h days), which could explain why it may seem faster.

So 30 days of 24/0 flowering = 720 hours of light as opposed to a photo being 12/12 for 30 days = 360 hours of light.

As an example, I had one veg for 30 days and was ready to harvest at day 70.

EDIT : My Blue Cheese I just moved into darkness was the same. 30 veg and moved her on day 70.

Edited by AcidAlice

21 minutes ago, AcidAlice said:

Strain/pheno specific but yes.

Ruderalis need no darkness to perform their duties, I run mine 24/0 from seedling to harvest (places do get natural 24h days), which could explain why it may seem faster.

So 30 days of 24/0 flowering = 720 hours of light as opposed to a photo being 12/12 for 30 days = 360 hours of light.

As an example, I had one veg for 30 days and was ready to harvest at day 70.

EDIT : My Blue Cheese I just moved into darkness was the same. 30 veg and moved her on day 70.

Oh, this is interesting. Ready to harvest after 40 days of flowering, that's 5 weeks basically.

I run mine 18/6 as they're in my veg area.

In essence, taking a photoperiod and vegging it for 4 weeks then flipping to flower could take the same amount of time as growing an auto?

That's what I do if I want to have an auto. Want to try again but with my math history and all......

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk