Anyone have any experience with Hortimix powder

On 5/30/2019 at 5:16 PM, RedEye said:

So this is a table Iv been using for a couple grows which has been working with no issues for me. Note that the res used in the table is 150L, so just divide by 150 to get ml per L, then work according to your sizes res.

1185A60B-C0F5-4748-BF1C-B8288C852A35.jpeg

On 5/30/2019 at 6:14 PM, highchome said:

Thanks @RedEye, I'll use that as a starting point for mine.

Me too. Thanks @RedEye

On 5/30/2019 at 6:14 PM, highchome said:

FWIW I've converted it to excel and attached: 2019-05-30_17-21.xlsx You can customise by changing the 150L value. I'll fiddle more and upload again if I think it may be useful

Thank you very much.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:14 AM, PsyCLown said:

how do the schedules work as it has week 1 to 9, but a grow will take longer than 9 weeks

If I read it properly 😅 it's for the 12/12 period. I presume Week 1, 0.6 EC carries over from the veg schedule?

• Like 1

When I tried Hortimix I kinda just did my own thing and used their chart as a rough guide.

Used my EC pen to get more accurate dosing as well, it works and it's cheap... But it is a bit of a hassle to be honest.

I'm happy to spend a bit more and use different nutes to make life easier.
I'm using GHE now and don't see myself moving away anytime soon. It's effortless, just works and oh so easy to dose.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 3

14 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

When I tried Hortimix I kinda just did my own thing and used their chart as a rough guide.

Used my EC pen to get more accurate dosing as well

Yeah, same. I found using an EC meter was simpler and more accurate that trying to stick to their schedule. 

14 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

I'm using GHE now and don't see myself moving away anytime soon. It's effortless, just works and oh so easy to dose.

That sounds like its worth looking at then. Thanks

Perhaps this needs a new thread... but I'll ask here for now.

1. Are you using the FloraCoco range?
  2. Just the three (grow + bloom + micro?) or did you go with the six?
  3. Are you mixing just enough for a day's watering or do you keep a small res? 
  4. Are you following their chart or again using that only as a guide?
  5. I assume that the FloraCoco ones follow the Flora series chart https://edge.generalhydroponics.com/www/uploads/20210121184300/FloraSeries-Basic-Feed-Charts.pdf, I don't see a coco specific one. Seems like they should
Edited by highchome
  • Like 2

Perhaps this needs a new thread... but I'll ask here for now.
  1. Are you using the FloraCoco range?
  2. Just the three (grow + bloom + micro?) or did you go with the six?
  3. Are you mixing just enough for a day's watering or do you keep a small res? 
  4. Are you following their chart or again using that only as a guide?
  5. I assume that the FloraCoco ones follow the Flora series chart https://edge.generalhydroponics.com/www/uploads/20210121184300/FloraSeries-Basic-Feed-Charts.pdf, I don't see a coco specific one. Seems like they should

I use the 3 part Flora series. I follow the chart on the bottle (hydro / coco, as I grow in coco).
It has a chart for soil on the bottle, but never tried it.

I will occasionally supplement with a few things or add a bit of my own concoctions but nute wise pretty much follow their chart and may taper down towards the end of flower due to the nute build up.

If I water by hand, I mix enough for the watering.
If I'm using my automatic watering, then I mix and keep it in the res with air stones and the plants get their nutes as required.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

I'm happy to spend a bit more and use different nutes to make life easier.

2 or 3 bottles is easy and GHE is also more concentrated than hortimix. It lasts a long time and is good value for money. If I can mix the 5 litres hortimix into a 1 litre then it will be less hassle to work with. A B and Bloom is all I plan to use for this round.

Another guide to EC strength for hydro and soil.large.xtableau-EC-blog-DNF_blog_cdn.jpg.pagespeed_ic.8trdzvCADP.jpeg.c044fdde2a3a36553f981c0a47bc7b9f.jpeg

https://www.dinafem.org/en/blog/how-adjust-ec-cannabis-growing/#post-comments

3 hours ago, highchome said:

Its uncomplicated and easy to follow.  I want to simplify the hortimix, so it's just as easy to use. GHE isn't specific to cannabis, it's a universal blend so there's room to tweek any of these brands to suit what we do.  

I use the spreadsheet and play around with the ratio till I find something that works well.

I tripled the strength, so now I will use 1 ml instead of 3.large.IMG_20210628_184210.jpg.00c7ddaa11659d5fd5195ca011403cf8.jpg

Then worked out what the grams per litre for each element and the npk ratio for the diluted solutions. 

large.IMG_20210628_184003.jpg.c477c919a1c618ae9e961e8bff5f6670.jpg3:1:5 for veg. 3:2:7 when you begin adding MKP, in 1:1:1, along with the A/B 

R60 for a concentrated, 3 part nutrient blend. I will play around with similar ratios to the GHE Flora and crunch some more numbers.

• Like 4

GHE uses Calcium EDTA, so it won't precipitate out of solution like normal calcium and wont bond with other nutes as easily.

Hortimix I am sure is normal calcium, so there are some thing which will prevent you from getting it the same but for the price and if someone is on a budget you can get pretty good results from Hortimix - does require a bit of effort and tweaking though.

Making the mixes stronger and more concentrated is a must IMO. Cannot use a single bag into 5L of water - waaay too weak.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

GHE uses Calcium EDTA

I didn't know that. I've seen it in the 1 part, Greenhouse powder feeding range, They also sell it as a seperate supliment.  I thought flora series is calcium nitrate in their Grow, MKP for bloom and Hortimix A, for the micro. 

Hortimix I am sure is normal calcium

Its greenhouse grade calcium nitrate, from Haifa. The soluble Ca is in the form of calcium oxide and it dissolved easily, the part A wasn't as easy to mix, but there's no sediment left in the bottle. 

for the price and if someone is on a budget you can get pretty good results from Hortimix

Eskom is increasing their tariff again, so every saving helps. 

does require a bit of effort and tweaking though.

The spreadsheet from Hortishop helps to work out the ppm for different combinations. 

Making the mixes stronger and more concentrated is a must IMO

Thanks for the tip. I came across it when I searched through the old threads. B and MKP could mix to x 5 strength, but A will need more work.

veg 5-3-5 and bloom 6-2-8 is what I use for my organic ferts. Dr Bruce says that 2-1-2, from start to finish is the ideal ratio for cannabis. I tried the 5-3-5 in bloom and got the same yield, but the quality was better when feeding with higher rates of N and K. 

I think if I follow the GHE chart with the x 3 strength hortimix then I can get close to my ideal NPK.

Or, My next idea is to buy a tub of Potassium sulphate and mix it to the same strength as MKP (75 g per litre).

At week 3 give a boost of MKP and then switch to Potassium sulphate till the end of flowering. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip. I came across it when I searched through the old threads. B and MKP could mix to x 5 strength, but A will need more work.
veg 5-3-5 and bloom 6-2-8 is what I use for my organic ferts. Dr Bruce says that 2-1-2, from start to finish is the ideal ratio for cannabis. I tried the 5-3-5 in bloom and got the same yield, but the quality was better when feeding with higher rates of N and K. 
I think if I follow the GHE chart with the x 3 strength hortimix then I can get close to my ideal NPK.
Or, My next idea is to buy a tub of Potassium sulphate and mix it to the same strength as MKP (75 g per litre).
At week 3 give a boost of MKP and then switch to Potassium sulphate till the end of flowering. 

Let us know how it goes :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm ready to start feeding with the hortimix now. I will probably go for 1:1 a&b to start, then 1:1:1 a b & mkp for later flowering with a bit of extra Epsom salts added in.large.IMG_20210706_140428.jpg.be4edc806e16528ffb460535fc6f8982.jpgghe 1 litre bloom formula can be replicated with 110 g mkp and 20 g of Epsom salt. large.1512974658_IMG_20210705_0806132.jpg.8283dd698d2c0aa65a1be5367ec4e910.jpgThis is the npk values when I convert the powders into liquid.large.IMG_20210630_055227.jpg.3a1c9e39714a507b9a2341f4d65399aa.jpg

I think ripen is slightly different composition, mainly mkp, with some potassium sulphate, magnesium nitrate and potassium nitrate in smaller amounts.

If the label on the bottle lists the g/kg then you can also work backwards to find out the SG, w/w and w/v to get the exact proportions for each component in any fertiliser compound. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Ive decided to go back to GHE, also that I’ll be running RDWC. In my last grow with coco and hortimix I found something was a bit off with the batch, after using it for close to a year I just found it far to much effort then it’s worth, having to use close to 220ML of A and B to get the required EC in 25 L of water. Will rather just carry the cost burden with GHE.

Edited by greenkush
  • Like 3