New Member- Grow Space Advice (Vets pls assist)

SouthernSmoker95

Hi guys,

Been lurking here a little while, I see the community is well versed and knowledgeable in all things cannabis related.

Here's my situation (please see attached), this essentially is the area I have to grow in, I think a tent is out of the question given the narrowness and height restrictions.

Another and possibly more pertinent issue is ventilation bearing in mind this is a room under a staircase.

In terms of lighting I think I'd like to go the LED route with the low usage and reasonable temps. Those Cobb LED's seem the business.

Budget: constrained but willing to spend if I can get something decent here, Ideally I'd like to grow 3 plants ie: 3 strains each run.

Open to any and all feedback, vets do chime in and please advise.

Hopefully the pic suffices as an indication of the dimensions? (Using the tiles to guesstimate).

I just want to maximize what I have to work with here and have something simple, hassle free and efficient.

Would be my 1st indoor grow, have done 1 outdoor plant previously which was a fantastic learning experience and something which I really enjoyed.

Many thanks,

SouthernSmoker231443c1ce5d8dfd95a6ed3e87bc6378.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Looking at the available space I'm going to guess about 1m across 1.5 to 2m deep. The issue here will be access to your plants and as you mentioned ventilation. Fresh air is essential. 

Cobs require a bit of headroom so that may be of concern. Possibly look at a quantum board type led solution if you are stuck on led as your lighting choice. 

Personally. I would use the area as it. White walls will be plenty reflective. I'm assuming there is a door to that area by the latch middle left. 

Edited by McB
Typos
  • Like 1

As a first timer, I would advise you to go with cfls,just to get the hang of things and not spend so much cash initially.

Once you get some experience you can find a better space and then scale up with better lights ,ventilation etc.

It is possible to grow a plant or 2 in that space.

i have to say that in my opinion  cfls's are false economy for anything more than veg and seedling.
even on the larger wattage your drop off is so severe they really are better suited to micro grows due to proximity needed to canopy.

lets think about this, thinking out of the box in a sense.

you put a frame on wheels in there, lights hang from frame, plants on table in frame, whole thing wheels on out of there to be worked on, i see roughly 1x1.5 scrog there potentially.

i think the key will be air exchange here, before lighting choices are considered, where will we intake from and vent too

Edited by McB

32 minutes ago, McB said:

i have to say that in my opinion  cfls's are false economy for anything more than veg and seedling.
even on the larger wattage your drop off is so severe they really are better suited to micro grows due to proximity needed to canopy.

lets think about this, thinking out of the box in a sense.

you put a frame on wheels in there, lights hang from frame, plants on table in frame, whole thing wheels on out of there to be worked on, i see roughly 1x1.5 scrog there potentially.

i think the key will be air exchange here, before lighting choices are considered, where will we intake from and vent too

True, but he doesn really have any ventilation in there,hence why I said cfls.Im assuming this is his first grow,lets see what he says.

Edited by Batista

Well we are going to need fresh air intake and somewhere to exhaust the hot air. Preferably in flower vented via carbon filter but we will get to that. 

So... Can you make holes or is this a rental. Where is the closest outside air source you can pull air from. 

21 minutes ago, Pvt_sToNeR said:

Solid thought he was asking for veterinarians to please assist  :sillyass

or Military vets lol

Ok back to topic, If you cant use CFLs and you cant make any hole then you have to go for higher end LEDS.Maybe even quantum boards.What is your budget?

40 minutes ago, Pvt_sToNeR said:

I would suggest a hole in the door for ducting (much cheaper and simpler than the wall route) but then you have ducting on the other side of the door so not too sure how discreet you want it to be @SouthernSmoker95 ?

pretty much waht i was thinking, low level vent in door assuming its near a fresh air intake, would have to exhaust elsewhere to avoid recirculating 

10 minutes ago, McB said:

pretty much waht i was thinking, low level vent in door assuming its near a fresh air intake, would have to exhaust elsewhere to avoid recirculating 

If he is ok with some ducting running out the door, then i rate that will be the most easiest and cost effective plan. 

How far is the door from a window @SouthernSmoker95 ?

BTW, fellow '95 baby over here :-thumbsup

Howzit okes,

Sorry for inactivity been a bit busy, must be honest haven't moved into the place as yet and yes it is in a complex (could even be sectional title).

So drilling into the wall may prove troublesome.

Hoping to go past this weekend but basically the room has a door at the bottom of the stairs, the door is in the middle between the entrance/kitchen and lounge/patio area.

Budget- 10K?

12 hours ago, SouthernSmoker95 said:

Hoping to go past this weekend but basically the room has a door at the bottom of the stairs, the door is in the middle between the entrance/kitchen and lounge/patio area.

So if you don't want ducting running through the house are you able to go out the door and straight  up into the roof ? 

57 minutes ago, Pvt_sToNeR said:

So if you don't want ducting running through the house are you able to go out the door and straight  up into the roof ? 

considering the stairs im going to venture the "roof" may be someone elses floor 🙂

On 11/26/2018 at 10:36 PM, SouthernSmoker95 said:

So guys ventilation is obviously an issue here, what can be done to resolve?

As for CFLs not so keen on them because I'd hate to put in the effort and land up with airy af pop corn bud, I want some beautiful nugs a man can be proud of.

Can you maybe run some '6 ducting from the room to a window or through the ceiling. Might have to cut a whole in the door and fit a fan there to suck air into the grow area. These are the simplest fixes to ventilation I would say. 

13 hours ago, Budwizer said:

This can be done, but you’re gonna need tools and some know how. I have a good idea how I would do it, but if you’re not up to the task, and don’t have some serious skillz, I can’t help. 

Its also not gonna be the cheapest build. 

Whats your budget?

im intrigued

Ha ha no pressure, well in terms of tools I have very little, basically just a Bob the builder-esque toolbox, no indoor marijuana cultivation setup experience hence me joining here for advice (mad skillz be lacking).

So I'm very much in the dark here, and I'm also not terribly technically/electrically inclined, I have seen a few 'consulting' type businesses that sprang up with the judgement, so hoping I can find a 'consultant' who can assist me.

Any suggestions please feel free to pm/post here.

Budget as mentioned is 10K, can also look at a 'consultancy' fee separate from this.

The way I see it, there are 2 options.

1.Door holes

Assuming you are ok with this not being a stealth grow.

Place the intake and vent in your door, one must be low(intake) the other must be high and then you would want to use ducting on the intake hole and take it all the way back to where the plants will be so about a few meters of ducting.Then you attached an extractor fan near the door with some ducting coming out the top of the door hole(Exhaust).

This has its drawback such as whenever you open the door, the ducting will drag across the floor a little bit so might knock something down in the grow space.

2.Holes in the wall, yep no explanation necessary.Possible not doable because you are renting.