Using bulbs with ballasts dimmed to the same wattage

420SA

Hey 420sa

I also didn’t know you can do that, until another forum member posted something about it a while back. I’m not sure, but I think doing it that way around would be fine. I know running higher wattage than what’s rated on the bulb shortens the bulbs lifespan.

That’s a damn handy feature of digitals.

Will probably work but you have to ask yourself... are you prepared to risk your house for a bulb? Running unmatched equipment is a fire hazard , it's not like our power is the most stable in the world . Yes I know I am probably way off and being way to cautious but take it from someone's that's had there house burn to the ground.... It's not fun

I know running higher wattage than what’s rated on the bulb shortens the bulbs lifespan.

Just realized that someone may misconstrue what I meant here- I’m talking specifically about the “boost/ super lumen” feature on some digital ballasts. This setting will for example push 630watt to a 600watt bulb, and shorten the bulbs lifespan. I’m totally with GLO on not running a 400watt bulb on the 600watt setting. You WILL make kak!

Absolutely, would never use a 400w bulb on the 600w setting... but would using a 400w on the 400w setting also be potentially risky as well? If you can determine that the ballast does indeed pull 400w on that setting

OR would it be safer to run a 600w bulb at the 400w setting? or would that be bad for the bulb

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

So what if my magnetic ballast says 250w-400w?Can i put a 250 w in there as it will only pull 250w from the ballast or will I risk this?

It says this on the front of the light :(brand new, SABS approved,never been used)

HPS light

WATTS : E40 250-400W

Volts : 220-240v

Lamps : 1x 400W

This is on the ignitor(im going into the ballast housing now)

220/240v 50/60Hz

For Lamps

HPS - 150W-400W

MH - 150W-400W

This is on ballast :

MG 400 Z

High pressure sodium ballast

400W(4.6A,100V)

I;ve read that you can use a 250W in there, but it will reduce the lifespan of the bulb.What are your thoughts?