HotBox GrowBox 1st attempt

JBKush

So what started out as a feeble attempt to grow a few seeds I had in my wallet from a mates tree last year for the fun of it has begun to progress

I germinated about 80 seeds from a friends grow (don't know what it is but I enjoyed smoking it so much) and after finding that germination was struggling and having seeds in different stages I decided to turn my table grow into a mini greenhouse grow

It's progressed to auto temp control with intake and exhaust and a fogger to keep humidity at about 40-60. I had a few bad days, 2 weeks as I over complicated and things went weird. I've got simple LED strip lights which are bloody potent to extend the photo period a couple hours while summer returns. The plan is to plant in soil in the garden when more mature and maybe mainline a few, however I'm worried about doing so with no guarantee of it being a female. I'd love to find a female I can clone and rather try on that In the meantime I plan to top 2-3 times? 

Light ferts every few days to once a week (nitrosol). Everything is now stable as of today so keen to see some results.

Planted 15 Aug and now 3 weeks old. There are a couple smaller ones in the big tray from a mate which last I smoked hit hard. I intend on transplanting into bigger pots within a week or two when I see sufficient root growth.

Absolutely loving every minute of this. I work from home so the urge to check them every 10 seconds is bad. Keen to clone some lovely stuff over this journey and build a collection.

IMG_3929.thumb.JPG.fd8b9ca0afe24c597c7daa2384a65076.JPG

IMG_3944.thumb.JPG.27c4b182ee23ee7bb39da118f4f5e7cd.JPG

IMG_3949.thumb.JPG.c903e99278df6388e5bdcf9fa19cf751.JPG

IMG_4050.thumb.JPG.674dc7a6c0f71b74f4aa8236a919a307.JPG

IMG_4051.thumb.JPG.2b5444fd5c730bf3c8131330891e9d89.JPG

IMG_4054.thumb.JPG.8c886a1bb6638b413595f55453c2245c.JPG

IMG_4052.thumb.JPG.2649c4b69c24cb3df3b6589509af99ad.JPG

IMG_4053.thumb.JPG.409336077012719741f66dfb996ce9e3.JPG

• Like 1

Time to transplant those out into 1l pots bud.

If they are going to be outside plants its also the best time to just let the elements at them. They need wind to become strong to support the coming weight. Their leaves will grow thicker exposed to the outdoors. Indoor and greenhouse grown plants have much thinner leaves. You want your babies there already. Mine meet the outside world with their germination. No domes or anything else.

You should know the sex of your plants in a month or so, so you will have plenty of time to choose out females.

Looking healthy though but thats gonna change quickly with root restrictions.

How many of all those seedlings do you intend growing out? You've started nice and early but that means a very long 5-6 month veg. Ie. Each plant has the potential to be a huge monster plant.

:-peace

If they are going to be outside plants its also the best time to just let the elements at them. They need wind to become strong.

You should know the sex of your plants in a month or so, so you will have plenty of time to choose out females.

How many of all those seedlings do you intend growing out? You've started nice and early but that means a very long 5-6 month veg. Ie. Each plant has the potential to be a huge monster plant.

Thanks! Busy sourcing pots/cups at a cheap price. Hate buying from nurseries and the likes if I can repurpose. I plan to repot this weekend if I get a chance.

I've got high output fans running directly at them 24/7 which stimulate the wind. I'm just jump starting them for now while summer approaches as nights have still be reaching 8C which no doubt will slow them down a touch. But they're definitely doing the better for the greenhouse.

I am concerned about the size they'll end up reaching. I intended on getting head start on the season to get a decent veg but overshot by a lot I've realised I'm hoping to plant 10-20 of them and mainline a few. I'd like to experiment while I've got bag seed plants and time. Gives me time to start a second grow later on in summer with some clones or something.  I reckon that'll give me a massive crop. I would however like to strive for quality over quantity as I really don't use much. Just interested to see what I can achieve with an attentive outdoor grow.

Could I really tell sex at 6-8 weeks?  I haven't been able to find a relative answer! If so that's great. I've been reading every forum and article to learn but mostly just allowing the plants to tell me what they need. They easy growers when you get a routine going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all!

So I did a little check up today on my plants. Over the weekend they experienced a little over watering. But have come right and perky again.

I'm a bit concerned about the current situation. I've got yellowing on new growth and older growth and cotyledons are yellowing as well. Could this be a nitrogen deficiency? I'm definitely going to repot this weekend. But I am concerned about the yellowing.

@Totemiccould it possibly be due to the size of the trays? I see they're drying very quickly now. Almost before day is up right through.

1259c733fe4b99be3f29c7dd205c97ed.jpgd3f28c758cef27aec35dffe1376ad0ac.jpg43c96d3597b8ee821eb657f2bc82294a.jpgf4ccd79801f2df44498e52dbb2031d2b.jpg

Its the start if all the issues I mentioned previously. It will only get worse very quickly. They need to get into bigger pots so they can can start getting fed. Since they are only in coir tou need to decide what next. Organics or soilless. That will help you decide what fertilizer to use.

Its the start if all the issues I mentioned previously. It will only get worse very quickly. They need to get into bigger pots so they can can start getting fed. Since they are only in coir tou need to decide what next. Organics or soilless. That will help you decide what fertilizer to use.

@Totemic

I've started moving into bigger pots. They did bounce back a bit. They're currently in a high quality potting mix with coir and vermiculite!

Still feeding at the moment. Struggling with time to get them all done!

So everyone is looking all to happy. I've halted on repotting as they don't need it yet. They absolutely exploding now that they're receiving nitrosol full dose and temp and watering is very controlled now.

I'm looking at topping in a week or so as they're hitting 4th and 5th nodes now!

040284850f85b6d7eab7206ec9e545e4.jpg3af241f441c7281983ec989f1ccc3222.jpg49481e517a3c67b16d4c3f2992108d12.jpg

Not sure if anyone reads this stuff. But I've been gone for a few days and returned to my babies. My goodness have they grown!

They're ready for their first topping which will happen this weekend. From there a couple days recovery and either acclimation to outdoors or a first repot and some more time in the greenhouse. They're fast running out of space though I'm kinda waiting for the sun to meet my current lighting schedule a bit more.

For anyone newbies reading this, don't rush the process. Don't repot too soon, wait till the first 2cm of soil are dry before watering, and just enjoy it. They do most of the work you just need to listen to them. Plants will always tell you what they need.

I'll be back with an update soon seeing as growing is happening so quickly now! I've hopefully got some interesting genetics coming soon to grow so gotta start moving the teenagers out of the greenhouse 5e0aea98f972be5bc273a205d09e35d2.jpgc71866e651055bdccfda040b1f0e4b7e.jpg

At 5 weeks they should be in at least a litre but 2 would be better of medium.

They should be pushing their 5th or 6th node. The fan leaves should be almost the size of your hand. They should be about ruler height and a pencil girth stem.

Soil rule to follow. 1l of soil for every week you intend keeping the plant alive.

Plant them out. It really should have happened the first I suggested it 2 weeks ago.

Just a few pointers. In the beginning people dont realise just how fast these suckers can and do grow.

The first 3 weeks of a cannabis plants life are extremely important as the plant decides how it is going to express itself under the conditions it finds itself in. Important genetic decisions including links to the sex and a long list that effect the phenotype. Deciding factors are environmental...the medium they are in, how much water they being exposed to, how much light, humidity, soil ph.....and on and on, and early stunting almost always shows up later in flowering with unexpected poor result ime.

These here are at 6 weeks and only just getting ready to really explode into veg. They didnt start out in a sheltered environment or indoors but exposed from day 1 because they can handle it. They are genetically built to do it. I need my outdoor plants to tackle the season with the best expression to flourish.

ajGLZRZ.jpg

X7yuk1k.jpg

i4dx5uX.jpg

They should be push

I'm not threadjacking JBKush[/member]:D

Totemic[/member] I'm keeping my plants in 1L pots to restrict them somewhat. Bad idea? They were transplanted from 400ml pots to to 1L pots 2 days before flip...

Restricting the roots somewhat to allow a dense even root ball is the idea. If the roots are circling the base already they are already suffering a bit. These plants are resiliant though and bounce back fast. Severe root restrictions such as keeping them in seed trays with less than 100ml of medium is completely stunting the plant and hampering its potential.

Plants are looking great man. Don't you think its time for a transplant into pots? You're gonna hit a brick wall in terms of growth soon

Definitely is, they've produced perfect amount of root balls. I've been collection bottles to transplant into as pots are far too expensive for a few weeks.

I'm going to top this weekend however and give them a few days to recover and then repot.

They should be pushing their 5th or 6th node. The fan leaves should be almost the size of your hand. They should be about ruler height and a pencil girth stem.

Soil rule to follow. 1l of soil for every week you intend keeping the plant alive.

Plant them out. It really should have happened the first I suggested it 2 weeks ago.

Just a few pointers. In the beginning people dont realise just how fast these suckers can and do grow.

The first 3 weeks of a cannabis plants life are extremely important as the plant decides how it is going to express itself under the conditions it finds itself in. Important genetic decisions including links to the sex and a long list that effect the phenotype. Deciding factors are environmental...the medium they are in, how much water they being exposed to, how much light, humidity, soil ph.....and on and on, and early stunting almost always shows up later in flowering with unexpected poor result ime.

These here are at 6 weeks and only just getting ready to really explode into veg. They didnt start out in a sheltered environment or indoors but exposed from day 1 because they can handle it. They are genetically built to do it. I need my outdoor plants to tackle the season with the best expression to flourish.

ajGLZRZ.jpg

X7yuk1k.jpg

i4dx5uX.jpg

Agreed! It's more a case of just not having the time last few weeks. Work has been killing me very slowly. Have to respray half my car this weekend after repairs. I don't deny I should've planted them out but I just haven't been able to!

I 100% agree with your advice! If all goes according to plan their repot should happen in a few days. Just trying to figure out when.

Thanks for the pics

@Totemic

your plant looks lush and healthy!

Plants are looking great man. Don't you think its time for a transplant into pots? You're gonna hit a brick wall in terms of growth soon

Definitely is, they've produced perfect amount of root balls. I've been collection bottles to transplant into as pots are far too expensive for a few weeks.

I'm going to top this weekend however and give them a few days to recover and then repot.

Where do you stay? Rather go for little buckets than bottles, your pots must not be transparent at all. Even white pots aren't recommended

Look for one of those plastic shops, their buckets are cheap. The 20L buckets for instance are around R25 a bucket

If they are going to be outside plants its also the best time to just let the elements at them. They need wind to become strong.

Thanks! Busy sourcing pots/cups at a cheap price. Hate buying from nurseries and the likes if I can repurpose. I plan to repot this weekend if I get a chance.

I've got high output fans running directly at them 24/7 which stimulate the wind. I'm just jump starting them for now while summer approaches as nights have still be reaching 8C which no doubt will slow them down a touch. But they're definitely doing the better for the greenhouse.

I am concerned about the size they'll end up reaching. I intended on getting head start on the season to get a decent veg but overshot by a lot I've realised I'm hoping to plant 10-20 of them and mainline a few. I'd like to experiment while I've got bag seed plants and time. Gives me time to start a second grow later on in summer with some clones or something.  I reckon that'll give me a massive crop. I would however like to strive for quality over quantity as I really don't use much. Just interested to see what I can achieve with an attentive outdoor grow.

Could I really tell sex at 6-8 weeks?  I haven't been able to find a relative answer! If so that's great. I've been reading every forum and article to learn but mostly just allowing the plants to tell me what they need. They easy growers when you get a routine going.

Regarding telling the sex of the plant or when. With my strain it showed sex at the 7th internode. Ill just check my grow journal to make sure. Its an indica strain

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Where do you stay? Rather go for little buckets than bottles, your pots must not be transparent at all. Even white pots aren't recommended

Look for one of those plastic shops, their buckets are cheap. The 20L buckets for instance are around R25 a bucket

Yeah I remembered that today while prepping the repot and now need to go buy plant bags I can't believe I didn't think of that, I've grown all assortment of other plants and know you can't

Thanks GLO..appreciate it..i was thinking of maybe wrapping the transparent cups with something to block the light. Reason i got transparent cups is to see how the roots develop and if the plant is root bound. Any advice regarding that?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I really hope so! I did a Top today of everyone so a day or two to recover I reckon then hoping to see signs. Will repot in the mean time however.

Edit: meant to respond to your first post on this thread @DoubleR

c975b6ba147c91b410df8b66b197710b.jpg

Transparent cups or buckets will hurt the root system as roots do not like light . As for sexing a plant it will show preflowers once it reaches sexual maturity, you can see when it's reached maturity my it alternate noding . This will happen about 4-6 weeks depending on the strain

Cheers

Thanks for info about sexing! I'm sure it's different in every case but couldn't find much info regarding that. Maybe I'll be able to hold out a little longer. I so badly want to plant them into the ground!