First Time Grower - All welcome and A helping hand will do.

Justin Hemp

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All your grow cab needs now is a disco ball and a pole dancer

:-hilarious

JustinHemp420[/member] looking AWESOME brother :-peace

Shot bud, the proof will be in the pudding.

Once this first grow is done im seriously considering having a lekka braai over at my place and inviting all who can attend for a puff

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yeah this isn't 'far red (730nm)'. It's 660nm, which is called 'photo red' by Cree, or 'hyper red' by Osram.

Far red can be used for night time initiation, to allow a 13/11 cycle instead of 12/12. You do sunset with that - 15 mins before, 15 mins after. Cuts total harvest time down by a week or two, by letting you get more hours in a day.

So... About the red I bought.  So thing #1 is, it's a bit useless by itself. It needs to be with at least 10% blue light. If you're running it with white light, that should have at least 10% blue though.

Then, photosynthesis works mainly by doing this little molecular dance between photosystem 1 and 2, at 680nm and 700nm, in the chloroplasts. The Emerson effect is just when you're hitting both at the same time.

The photosystems have photon trapping proteins that will bounce photons around until they're at the wavelength they need, so it's not necessary to get it spot on. I think 620nm works as well as 660nm, but these Cree 660s are very efficient - around 60% radiant efficiency (% of electricity turned into light instead of heat). The chloroplasts also run around the cell looking for the best spots to hang out.

So horticultural reference designs for MJ are typically a ratio of red to warm white. At lower lighting levels it's closer to 2:1 red to warm white. At higher lighting levels, closer to 1:1.

That's because red can only penetrate the surface of a leaf. It doesn't have enough energy to go very deep. Red saturates leaf surfaces at 450ppfd. (And you can give mj up to about 1100ppfd before you need to supplement CO2), so there's diminishing returns on red, after which, yellow and green are the next most efficient photons, because they can penetrate a bit deeper.

So red is just the most efficient wavelength, but you can only use up to 450ppfd of it before it stops working.

So, short story is, it should give a boost, but it's supplemental.

Regards

Its a personal thing. Id rather all those leaves go to trim for butter or whatever. I just want bud. I trim every leaf i can get my trimmers tip into. Having a really sharp pointed pair of garden scissors are milder on the fingers and hands.

Cutting at the sugar leaves as deep in and as close to the bud as possible without nicking the bud. Then as its drying every few days I go in and trim a few more that have become visible as the bud contracts. Then the day they go into curing jars they get a final inspection and trim to neaten up for the final cure.

Thats what I do, but others may like leaving a few leaves behind. Like i said, its a personal thing, and the way you will get the best bag appeal ime.

Its a personal thing. Id rather all those leaves go to trim for butter or whatever. I just want bud. I trim every leaf i can get my trimmers tip into. Having a really sharp pointed pair of garden scissors are milder on the fingers and hands.

Cutting at the sugar leaves as deep in and as close to the bud as possible without nicking the bud. Then as its drying every few days I go in and trim a few more that have become visible as the bud contracts. Then the day they go into curing jars they get a final inspection and trim to neaten up fir the final cure.

Thats what I do, but others may like leaving a few leaves behind. Like i said, its a personal thing, and the way you will get the best bag appeal ime.

Thanks Tote , I will definitely keep an eye on the sugar leaves. Cannabutter sounds great the only concern is my kids accidently spreading some on for a literal kick ass sandwich.

Bubble bags are an easy option, but a little on the expenny side. Also need a fair amount of trim. Can look into DIY pressing too, seen peeps using old hair irons and whatnot. Yum yum. :-blazed

For the staggered harvest, you'll have differently flushed bud. Hesitant as I am to drop the f-bomb round these parts.

Bubble bags are an easy option, but a little on the expenny side. Also need a fair amount of trim. Can look into DIY pressing too, seen peeps using old hair irons and whatnot. Yum yum. :-blazed

For the staggered harvest, you'll have differently flushed bud. Hesitant as I am to drop the f-bomb round these parts.

F-bomb....am I missing something

Lol, no, apologies, don't stress.

Was just talking about the flush. Depending on how much you've been / plan on flushing, staggering the harvest will have bud with a different stage of flush. That's all.

Lol, no, apologies, don't stress.

Was just talking about the flush. Depending on how much you've been / plan on flushing, staggering the harvest will have bud with a different stage of flush. That's all.

Well I'll be able to tell what's best then I would say. Was about to say, is flushing a sensitive subject around these parts

Well I'll be able to tell what's best then I would say. Was about to say, is flushing a sensitive subject around these parts

Around all parts, forever and ever.  :yipeeee

Ya you'll get a good comparison, which is nice, but just something extra to factor into to your thinking on smoke quality is all.