1st indoor grow

Guest Arcz

Guest Arcz

G'day growers!

So ive been collecting equipment over the past 4 years for a proper indoor run, got everything together about two years ago but needed a filter that I recently added to the collection. Also I have been too paranoid to actually get the balls together to start it up, But now a family member needs medicine so I doing it!

This will be my 1st proper indoor run, so dont be too harsh ;D

Setup:

- 80x80 magic Garden tent

- TD-Silent 250 inline fan

- 400W MH & HPS with Bird wing refl

- Small Oscillating fan

- 6" Carbon Filter (300mm) (GTH)

Soil:

I did the soil based off memory from a mix I used to do a few years back.

Disclaimer: but Yes, I know it needs alot more. but I was impatient and needed to get thing going.

- Coco peat (20lt)

- Perlite (one bag 3dm organic perlite)

- 1 cup Talborne Organics (Fruit and Flower)

I will update the soil as I go with some Lime, worm casting and a few other minor things, first need to ask a few Questions.

Strain:

4 x pineapple express (bagseed from a reputable source)

Log:

- 18.04.2017 - seeds, 12 Hour soak

- 19.04.2017 - breached seeds to Warm Cotton

- 21.04.2017 - Planted seedlings into plain Coco\perlite mix (Only 3 Breached the soil, one died)

- 23.04.2017 - 3 seedlings have 1st set of leaves, Watered 10ml

- 24.04.2017 - Doing well. Watered 10ml each. Second Set of leaves popped.

- 26.04.2017 - Not looking too good, Droopy and yellow

- 28.04.2017 - 10ml Water each

- 30.04.2017 - Transplanted from seedling trays to main pots. Watered until runoff started (+-1.5 Lt)

- 01.05.2017 - Switched from CFL to 400W MH @ 48CM above tops

- 06.05.2017 - Noticing a bit of stretching, Seedlings seem to be bouncing back a bit.

- 10.05.2017 - Lowered Lights to 30CM

So with all that out of the way, I have a few questions. I noticed that the seedlings are no looking as expected. from what I have been reading, i have been over watering and possible Nuteburn too, please can a progreenthumb advise?

What can I add or do to get the grow going a bit better? I have seen some improvement after watering less and Changing lights.

Any and all advise on this grow will be very welcome!

Irie

Here are  Few Pics of the Grow:

1A.thumb.jpg.d21cddd2b2cc1ebb2b3ac14a6a08b6e1.jpg

1B.thumb.jpg.7e2a60cb390402f050a173cdca1a195f.jpg

2C.thumb.jpg.cbd43f6dcc1b9180e7e562fb7ea0954a.jpg

2A.thumb.jpg.42042dfe5ff21a962baa8bf126be6db6.jpg

2D.thumb.jpg.ee473371a30ca16bb20fc6b8e4bfcfce.jpg

2B.thumb.jpg.2e4f33d5c828098870954566db2d7449.jpg

1C.thumb.jpg.1c6dd8e61873f4cf9e9010d40e96979b.jpg

2E.thumb.jpg.b2f95d7b7eac0477490b3ccfc32a5f34.jpg

Hi bud

Don't have much time to give your post a proper read or reply until tonight but 1 cup of Talborne (250ml is a standard cup but not sure what cup you used ) is way to much for 25l . I use 20ml pet 5l of Medium and with seedlings I use 9ml per 5l of Medium.  When I mix an organic Soil with other amendments I use 4ml per 5l

Hope that helps

Guest Arcz

Hey Reaf, Howzit Going!! Shot for the response!

Yeah well, in that Case I made a HUGE mistake!! Is there anything I can do to fix it or is my Grow doomed now? Please tell me there is something I can do??

Here are some pics from this morn, just before 12.

bcklft2.thumb.jpeg.31c1686a2d1dde29915a9855f021da34.jpeg

bcklft.thumb.jpeg.dd2af5b388fd580b59170149b8310a60.jpeg

bckrgt.thumb.jpeg.c3f932818fd55c4d085918e3693fe7be.jpeg

frnt.thumb.jpeg.a8ab752e9907656f57ec906f1a910398.jpeg

Your soil mix is too hot, and I suspect pH is all out of whack.

You can try to save it- flush , flush and flush some more. I'd get at least 100 lt of tap water dechlorinated, and pour 30 lt through each pot.

You didn't mention any other nutrients, but I'd give it two to three days, check how things are going, and feed a weak strength Biobizz Grow. If things improve, then add a little Fishmix, and take it from there.

Just occurred to me: those plants symptoms could also be fungus gnats. There's plenty info on this forum on how to deal with them.

Good luck!

Guest Arcz

Your soil mix is too hot, and I suspect pH is all out of whack.

You can try to save it- flush , flush and flush some more. I'd get at least 100 lt of tap water dechlorinated, and pour 30 lt through each pot.

You didn't mention any other nutrients, but I'd give it two to three days, check how things are going, and feed a weak strength Biobizz Grow. If things improve, then add a little Fishmix, and take it from there.

Just occurred to me: those plants symptoms could also be fungus gnats. There's plenty info on this forum on how to deal with them.

Good luck!

They seem to be doing a bit better than a day ago. I will water 1lt water each tonight for flush and again two days from now.

The water I am using is Bought water from a water place that has an 8 part RO filtration system and PH balanced.

And I dont see any little buggers of and form of Fungi?

Thanks for your response, Will take the next couple of day to see what happens.

RO filtration usually happens through 4 steps. Some systems the add a fifth carbon filtration step. This produces RO water with a pH of around 6, and EC of 0,01. This is almost pure water, but it's not very good for human consumption. Steps 6 to 8 are for adding minerals back to the water, in order to increase pH, and add calcium and other minerals which are good for people.

Ask the water shop what pH the water has, and what minerals are added.

Ahoy stickyb sweet setup bru! Once u start fighting hot soil it's frustrating as you want to get going and that's partly what got you into this situation. Patience is key here.

My advise would be to gently transplant them into smaller pots I prefer the square ones then put them in a very light mix no fertilizer. A mix I would probably do In ur situation.

normal potting soil thats been sived finer to get rid of the bigger pieces of bark.

perlite

Small amount of organic compost

Some coco peat

Mycorizia

Small amount of lime

It's better to start really slow during the seedling stage u want the plant to be hungry. Water sparingly don't worry about runoff. Go with the weight of the pot to gauge how she is drinking u will start to get a feel of how she is drinking. Dont force anything only give when she wants. If she is stressed she won't drink. The roots are suffocating from the oversaturated soil, they need Oxygen.

Check out jamies garden shop in Cape town, Google it. They have nice amendments and even a great living soil mix already all made up !!! This is just my advise  bru use it don't use it ? Laaka

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Guest Arcz

RO filtration usually happens through 4 steps. Some systems the add a fifth carbon filtration step. This produces RO water with a pH of around 6, and EC of 0,01. This is almost pure water, but it's not very good for human consumption. Steps 6 to 8 are for adding minerals back to the water, in order to increase pH, and add calcium and other minerals which are good for people.

Ask the water shop what pH the water has, and what minerals are added.

This is what I could find on their website. I know this is the system they are using because the owner showed it all and explained to process to me when they opened.

Where should my Ph Be? 6.0-6.3

On the Label:

- Calcium <0.16mg/l

- Flouride <0.01mg/l

- Magnesium <0.01mg/l

- Nitrate <0.01mg/l

- Sulphate <0.03mg/l

- Ph 6.7.5

- TDS <15

Stage 1 - Polypropylene Cartridge – Compacted Fibre Filter

Removes particles such as silt and rust

Stage 2 - Activated Carbon Filter

Removes chlorine and odours

Stage 3 – Granular Active Carbon

Removes additional chlorine and water discolourants

Stage 4 – Reverse Osmosis Filter

i-Water-our-Ro-unit-150x150.jpg  i-Water-RO-pre-treatment-150x150.jpg    

Removes colloid, heavy metals, dissolvable solids, germs, bacteria and other harmful substances up to 1 micron

Stage 5 - Post Activated Carbon Filter

[justify]Removes any additional odours[/justify]

Stage 6/7 – Re-mineralization Filter

Optional but recommended.

Choice of one or both of the following:

Re-mineralization Filter – Re-introduces certain minerals Alkaline filter – Produces water with pH 8 and higher

iwatershop-reverse-osmosis-systems6-150x150.jpg  iwatershop-reverse-osmosis-systems7-150x150.jpg  iwatershop-reverse-osmosis-systems9-150x150.jpg  iwatershop-reverse-osmosis-systems8-150x150.jpg

Industrial Units available on request. (This 1sst one is what they have built in the shop)

[justify]reverse-osmosis-systems.jpg[/justify]

Guest Arcz

Ahoy stickyb sweet setup bru! Once u start fighting hot soil it's frustrating as you want to get going and that's partly what got you into this situation. Patience is key here.

My advise would be to gently transplant them into smaller pots I prefer the square ones then put them in a very light mix no fertilizer. A mix I would probably do In ur situation.

normal potting soil thats been sived finer to get rid of the bigger pieces of bark.

perlite

Small amount of organic compost

Some coco peat

Mycorizia

Small amount of lime

It's better to start really slow during the seedling stage u want the plant to be hungry. Water sparingly don't worry about runoff. Go with the weight of the pot to gauge how she is drinking u will start to get a feel of how she is drinking. Dont force anything only give when she wants. If she is stressed she won't drink. The roots are suffocating from the oversaturated soil, they need Oxygen.

Check out jamies garden shop in Cape town, Google it. They have nice amendments and even a great living soil mix already all made up !!! This is just my advise  bru use it don't use it ? Laaka

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Shot for the response bud!

I am not too keen on doing a transplant as I dont think I am experienced enough to transplant to smaller pots without breaking or damaging the Roots from the current soil. I also want to try and keep its mostly a soilless mix, in the past I found have have less pests on mainly Coco Grows, maby that was just my imagination?

Anyway, i will keep monitoring them for the next coule of days to see if they spring back, there is definately some damage to the tips of the first (smaller) leaves but I checked a while ago and they seem to be more "springy" or up, if I can put it that way.

Irie

Hi bud

those plants can still be saved but there a few things you need to do.

Flushing don't help the situation as Talborne is a slow release fertilizer. When growing organic Normal bubbled to water is best as RO waters ph can be a bit low.

With what I want you to do your plants have a 70% chance of surviving but will bounce back nicely . Those pots are way to big for your situation , if your babies were healthy it would be fine but in there State you want smaller pots to get water cycling going properly. If you leave them I  those pots they will have major issues with over watering.

Fill a bucket of plain water then  take the plant out there plastic pots and place you hand under underneath to support the root ball. Place the soil root ball in the water bucket and gently move it up and down in the water with your hands supporting the root ball. Gently wash the medium from the roots . Once the medium has been removed replant them into a lot Half that size with a 50/50 mix of well rinsed Perlite and coco. Water them once with 1ml of biobizz per litre and leave them until they feel Light again then up it to 2ml per l. Do this is a dim room as light will hurt the roots , if you do this gently you won't  cause much root damage and probably way less damage than that hot damp medium will do.

Once they start recovering you can transplant them again into a organic medium. Get an app for your smartphone to measure Lux and move that light right up until you get between 10000 and 15000 Lux. You don't want to give it to much light now as they won't be able to cope with it and will cause a lot more stress. Expect about 3 weeks recovery

Agree with the transplant too that current medium just wont work. As long as you're gentle with the plant and its root ball your plants have a good chance of bouncing back. I've pulled a weed plant out the soil once in my garden, left it on top of the soil and the roots grew back into the soil and the plant recovered...so yea...

Guest Arcz

Hi bud

those plants can still be saved but there a few things you need to do.

Flushing don't help the situation as Talborne is a slow release fertilizer. When growing organic Normal bubbled to water is best as RO waters ph can be a bit low.

With what I want you to do your plants have a 70% chance of surviving but will bounce back nicely . Those pots are way to big for your situation , if your babies were healthy it would be fine but in there State you want smaller pots to get water cycling going properly. If you leave them I  those pots they will have major issues with over watering.

Fill a bucket of plain water then  take the plant out there plastic pots and place you hand under underneath to support the root ball. Place the soil root ball in the water bucket and gently move it up and down in the water with your hands supporting the root ball. Gently wash the medium from the roots . Once the medium has been removed replant them into a lot Half that size with a 50/50 mix of well rinsed Perlite and coco. Water them once with 1ml of biobizz per litre and leave them until they feel Light again then up it to 2ml per l. Do this is a dim room as light will hurt the roots , if you do this gently you so t cause much root damage and probably way less damage that  that hot damp medium will do.

Once they start recovering you can transplant them again into a organic medium. Get an app for your smartphone to measure Lux and move that light right up until you get between 10000 and 15000 Lux. You don't want to give it to much light now as they won't be able to cope with it and will cause a lot more stress. Expect about 3 weeks recovery

Wow, Massive thanks man!

Okay I will go out tomorrow and se if I can get the stuff together, But as I mentioned before, I dont know If I am experienced enough to do it with success, but I will try.

*update - Downloaded the app, I am currently getting 15000lux with the Light 30Cm from the Top of the plants.

On the Biobizz, what specifically am i looking for? I see there are 3 different liquid fertilizers available?

and finally, my water, you said Bubbled water, can you explain this?

Do I continue with the bought water or go tap water?

Thank a Mill for all the help here everyone!!

Guest Arcz

It's easier than  it sounds, dim room and be gentle.

Just get the Grow for now you can expand if you want to later.  I have used bubble tap water for over a  decade without any issues , don't over think it

Might sounds stupid here, but do I bubble the water for a few hours? With a Airstone and fishtank pump?

Guest Arcz

Not looking too good. I might have to  abort this grow. I am a bit cash strapped so cant really get Soild ingredients.

But Incase I can make a plan... the Biobizz, what specifically am i looking for? I see there are 3 different liquid fertilizers available? Bio Grow or Fish Mix?

Guest Arcz

UPDATE

As I was making the 50/50 mix for the ladies to be transplanted out of the Hot soil, I realized what I also did wrong on the hot soil.

The bag of coco I bought I assumed to be pre Hydrated (and rinsed) so I just chucked that straight into the mix with Perlite and the second mistake was the over fertilizing.

with that taken into note I rinsed the Perlite in a few buckets of water, drained water through a sif and added to the mixing tub. then took the same amount of coco and did the same, Rinsing well and hydrating well. then squeezed the Water out of the Coco so much so that there is enough moisture in the coco to make a ball in your hand without crumbling. then added that to the mixing tub and did the 50/50 mix.

@Green Leaf Organics

Thanks for all the advice, the transplant went easier than I anticipated, ladies are transplanted and I sprayed the Topsoil a bit after transplanting them. They dont look like they are worse or stressed this morning but will take the next few days to check how they progress. below are a few pics from after the transplant.

I will also be using normal Tap water that has been bubbled, but would it not be better to bubble the bought water that I posted on earlier? would the bubbling get the added minerals out?

The light is still at 30cm from the tops and getting 13000 lx,I will leave it at that.

Now some more questions:

- How much do I water these and when\how often

- When do I start the feeding with seagrow? and how much/ how often

- Can I use THIS soil for the next transplant, and when do I transplant them?

Thanks as always for all the help!

index.php?action-viewimage;path=L2hvbWUvdzQyMHNhYnVjL3B1YmxpY19odG1sL2F0dGFjaG1lbnRzLzU4MzhfODZhZjJmOTk0YmRmNzFjNjI0OTBjYjg2ODM5Y2I0MDNhOGY5NGI4Mg==;m=image%2Fjpeg

index.php?action-viewimage;path=L2hvbWUvdzQyMHNhYnVjL3B1YmxpY19odG1sL2F0dGFjaG1lbnRzLzU4MzdfNzkwNjU3NjI0YzVkZjEwMDVmZjcwYWZhNjczYTQ2Mjk1MTI3NjAwMA==;m=image%2Fjpeg

trnsplnt2.thumb.jpg.707384ce1149cf454e42d6f97177b901.jpg

trnsplnt.thumb.jpg.9e32838ffea22e17e6cd4b8bb8a4dc3b.jpg