How to make a carbon filter air scrubber?

CannabisKid

Hey everyone, so i have just finished building my grow box, and decided it would be a smart idea to add a carbon air scrubber. Problem is i'm a student and working on a very low budget, so buying a air scrubber for 2k from these sites, or from ebay just isn't an option for me sadly.

I came across this website, which explains how to DIY, but i have troubles finding the actual carbon wrapping that he uses in his instructions. I haven't been to shops like builders warehouse or anything yet. Does anyone know where i could perhaps find this stuff?

Any suggestions?

I'm using a 150mm extraction fan

http://www.rollitup.org/t/easy-to-build-diy-carbon-filter.7074/

Thank you all for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get active carbon pellets at any petshop that sells tropical fish. Modify the design to sandwich the pellets between 2 pieces of mesh. About a 5cm thick layers should do it.

:-peace

Thank you very much mate! May the universe give off positive vibes to you!

Awe bud, do you know the rating of your fan? I tried something similar, but my fan isn't strong enough so it was getting warmer than I'd like. I'm using a 120mm, 87 cfm fan. Anyways, this is what I did. It might work for you.

Check my thread, http://www.420sa.co.za/index.php/topic,969.msg8708.html#msg8708 you'll see the box I made that houses the fan. At the other end of the ducting have a cardboard box that it dumps the humid smelly air into. In the lid of the box I have a small dish that I cut the bottom out of, replaced the base with pantyhose and put a layer of carbon in there. A stronger fan would obviously be better, but this works for me.

The box houses all my wiring, blocks the light leak from the ducting, muffles the humming of my fans a shit load and makes the cupboard "fit in more". In my garage the db reading with everything off is 54, with the fans on and the cab door open it's 76, with the cab door closed it's 57.

Idea.jpg.c24c188d7609499a5df893e8aa6b9b93.jpg

IMG_20170108_195429.thumb.jpg.5d79347c7683fd77df2dbda12df23449.jpg

IMG_20170108_201324.thumb.jpg.74092eb9ecb818966bfe0dec1afb7b79.jpg

Thanks so much guys. I will take a pic of my build when it's complete.

Here are some

Pictures of my growing box, as you can see, my fan and ventilation ducting has 0 stealth.. not a smart idea according to my mate, who has grown indoor before. Apparently the smell is insane.

. Is there anything i can do, to not have to break down my existing setup?

IMG_6250.thumb.JPG.c32759707d848494a0384c275db37bf5.JPG

Awe bra, that cab looks sweet!

The strength of the smell depends on the strain. I've read that Northern Light doesn't give off much of a smell unless disturbed. The carbon will get rid of it.

Can't you gippo the scrubber somehow to go outside??

I'l have to see what kind of setup i'm going to try. As you can see, there is not enough space in the grow box, so the air scrubber will have to be placed outside the grow box.

The strength of the smell depends on the strain. I've read that Northern Light doesn't give off much of a smell unless disturbed. The carbon will get rid of it.

I'l have to see what kind of setup i'm going to try. As you can see, there is not enough space in the grow box, so the air scrubber will have to be placed outside the grow box.

If you put the scrubber on the outside and cap the other end, wouldn't it work?

If you put the scrubber on the outside and cap the other end, wouldn't it work?

That's what i'm thinking.. i will draw something up and post a picture.

Been looking to DIY this myself, currently dont have one. Exhaust goes back into the garage and remains contained however I think I need one.

I started to actually collect some tubs for this. Was going to use one of those 5kg protein shake tubs, with a smaller 2kg tub on the inside, or something to that effect. Using a combination of activated carbon as the filter, along with activated carbon filter paper, and the drilling of lots of wholes in the sides of the two tubs.

You basically chop the bottom of the big tub off, push the smaller tub up, inside, and glue it to the top. Inside tub is wrapped in a stocking, outside tub is wrapped in activated carbon filter paper, with activated carbon pieces between the two tubs.

Havent found the right sized tubs yet, and I dont take the stuff myself.

Always open for a simpler method though :P

Awe! Even if you have to DIY it. Lol, I'm quite excited to see your project!

Hey cereal, uni errands have been punishing my brittle time, i haven't been able to proceed further with the DIY project. There is light at the end of the tunnel as i've managed to cling onto some precious time. Will keep peeps informed with my idea's and progress.

Been looking to DIY this myself, currently dont have one. Exhaust goes back into the garage and remains contained however I think I need one.

I started to actually collect some tubs for this. Was going to use one of those 5kg protein shake tubs, with a smaller 2kg tub on the inside, or something to that effect. Using a combination of activated carbon as the filter, along with activated carbon filter paper, and the drilling of lots of wholes in the sides of the two tubs.

You basically chop the bottom of the big tub off, push the smaller tub up, inside, and glue it to the top. Inside tub is wrapped in a stocking, outside tub is wrapped in activated carbon filter paper, with activated carbon pieces between the two tubs.

Havent found the right sized tubs yet, and I dont take the stuff myself.

Always open for a simpler method though :P

Great idea, i've many mates who are gym junkies! I'm sure i'l be able to score a few empty 5kg mass builder tubs from their grips. Carbon filter paper though, i need it. At which stores or where may a person purchase it? I've been looking for it with no luck.

@CannabisKid Wow! Your Carbon Scrubber looks fantastic!!! :-clap  Where will the grow box be placed?

.. that is my little puny grow box

@CannabisKid :-hilarious I only noticed now how smoked I was when I typed that. What I meant to say was "Your grow box looks fantastic!!! :-clap  Where will the carbon scrubber be placed? :sillyass:-hilarious

The filter paper would just be a backup, but if you cant get activated carbon pieces then you need lots of filter paper.

check any aquarium store etc for activated carbon and perhaps a hardware store for the filter paper (not sure if the aquarium shop will stock that).