Is this heat stress symptoms

nakes

Hi I have 4 plants that look like this pic. Plant in the pic is the worse looking one.  What can cause this? Is it heat stress?  My extractor fan fan of for a day or two without me knowing. 

250w MH  in a 1.2 tent

What you guys think?

IMG20230729090502.jpg

Edited by nakes
  • Like 4

I agree about the root issue. 

@nakes

The first thing I noticed is that you didn't mention the heat in the tent?

You did mention the extraction fan being out, that may play around with temps a bunch, but it will have a bigger impact on the RH, depending on your setup. Is the extraction fan only cooling down the light? If RH is a problem and the plants can't breathe properly it's gona be a problem. 

Another big one, where the root problem becomes the leaf problem - Check on your rootzone temperature in correlation to your leaf surface temperature. Those HID lights are not enough to heat up a rootzone, they give off nice heat, but once the cold settles in the soil the light will basically just heat up the surface of the stuff it hits, like your leaves. Giving you big contrast in the temp around your roots and on your leaf surface. Then the heat from the light becomes more of an issue than a good thing.  

How big are the plants? If you talking bout throwing them away, you gona replace them? Just asking, because they clones I know they photos and photos can be turned around at the grave. I like making recoveries instead of hitting the restart button, cause I learn more that way. If it was a bunch of autos I couldn't really help you much and if it was a bunch of different phenos from a seed pop I'd say no way of throwing them out, but if they still small clones and you got replacements I'd say feed them to the worms. if they big plants it's way too little of a issue to be thinking bout throwing them out. 

Another reason I ask how big they are - 250w mh in a 1.2 tent is actually a very good combo, but at what distance is the light hanging in correlation to how big the plants are? they're clones so I can't go by age or say "seedling" stage, but clones go through a sensitive stage too when they small. 

I'd like to add, smaller rootzones will generally be a bit colder than bigger ones. Eg. - a control measure would be to take both a 10L pot of soil or water and a 100L pot of soil or water, heat both to the same temperature on the surface and internal, take them both out in the cold, the 10L soil/water would have cooled down much quicker than the 100L pot. If you have a plant growing in there and you got some life going, some movement, gas exchanges and all that then it creates some more warmth for itself. Smaller pots typically don't work in a living soil way, big living soil beds have nice internal temperature that it self regulates like it does with PH and EC and all that, but with smaller seperate pots need something external to keep the roots warm to keep up with the 23 - 28°C range you want above soil.

How do you grow - Organic? Synthetic? What kinda feed you use and all that stuff? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2023 at 7:41 AM, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

I agree about the root issue. 

@nakes

The first thing I noticed is that you didn't mention the heat in the tent?

You did mention the extraction fan being out, that may play around with temps a bunch, but it will have a bigger impact on the RH, depending on your setup. Is the extraction fan only cooling down the light? If RH is a problem and the plants can't breathe properly it's gona be a problem. 

Another big one, where the root problem becomes the leaf problem - Check on your rootzone temperature in correlation to your leaf surface temperature. Those HID lights are not enough to heat up a rootzone, they give off nice heat, but once the cold settles in the soil the light will basically just heat up the surface of the stuff it hits, like your leaves. Giving you big contrast in the temp around your roots and on your leaf surface. Then the heat from the light becomes more of an issue than a good thing.  

How big are the plants? If you talking bout throwing them away, you gona replace them? Just asking, because they clones I know they photos and photos can be turned around at the grave. I like making recoveries instead of hitting the restart button, cause I learn more that way. If it was a bunch of autos I couldn't really help you much and if it was a bunch of different phenos from a seed pop I'd say no way of throwing them out, but if they still small clones and you got replacements I'd say feed them to the worms. if they big plants it's way too little of a issue to be thinking bout throwing them out. 

Another reason I ask how big they are - 250w mh in a 1.2 tent is actually a very good combo, but at what distance is the light hanging in correlation to how big the plants are? they're clones so I can't go by age or say "seedling" stage, but clones go through a sensitive stage too when they small. 

I'd like to add, smaller rootzones will generally be a bit colder than bigger ones. Eg. - a control measure would be to take both a 10L pot of soil or water and a 100L pot of soil or water, heat both to the same temperature on the surface and internal, take them both out in the cold, the 10L soil/water would have cooled down much quicker than the 100L pot. If you have a plant growing in there and you got some life going, some movement, gas exchanges and all that then it creates some more warmth for itself. Smaller pots typically don't work in a living soil way, big living soil beds have nice internal temperature that it self regulates like it does with PH and EC and all that, but with smaller seperate pots need something external to keep the roots warm to keep up with the 23 - 28°C range you want above soil.

How do you grow - Organic? Synthetic? What kinda feed you use and all that stuff? 

I do have a intake fan but I think my veg tent is stacked too much and air circulation is the problem aswell

IMG20230803084345.jpg

• Like 2

Curling would be heat and the texture is light stress. They might be to close to your reflective insulation at the back there.., the material is awesome for maintaining heat but without the airflow that insulation gets hot pretty quick. As for what to do, cut the effected leaves off, move them away from the sides and add some kelp extract with water for the stress relief. (It's what worked for me anyway. I use the same lining in my flower room.) Happy growing and GL🧙‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Fire! 1

21 hours ago, nakes said:

I do have a intake fan but I think my veg tent is stacked too much and air circulation is the problem aswell

IMG20230803084345.jpg

Plants are looking good bud! 

I note the back plants are taller so closer to the light, but also what Litit mentioned about the heat on the sides. Also much easier for air to become stagnant between two objects, if you packing plants all along the wall you gotta leave a space between them and the wall aswell as in between them. If you add more plants you gotta add more fans aswell, but usually it's best to stick to keeping a space nice and "open" to play on the safe side. 

I always aim to fill up my space, but when I say full I mean 90% max and that's including a fan, 2 fans for flower room and I only run 1mx1m spaces. You right bout that space being a bit too full, gotta make sure the fan is able to get to all areas. Fresh air exchange and circulation is incredibly important, undesired VPD range can make a good light cause light issues, even though it's not the light itself that's the issue.

If vpd is out -> plant stomata not acting right -> abnormal transpiration = easier to get hurt by light and/or humidity

Is this in a tent or a closed space? When you say intake fan, you running on a positive pressure? Grow rooms run better at negative pressure, you gotta suck air out. If it's a sealed room you gotta have same amount of air going in as you got going out and a big must to monitor CO2. If it's a tent or a non sealed room the fact that it's not sealed will allow passive intake. 

🥦🤘

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...

While I'm not a doctor, it's essential to consider the possibility of heat stress, especially in hot weather. Make sure to stay hydrated, take breaks in the shade, and wear light clothing. If your symptoms persist or worsen, it's always a good idea to consult a healthcare professional for a proper evaluation. Also, remember that taking care of your physical well-being is crucial for mental health too. If you ever need assistance or want to find mental health help near me, there are resources available to support you.

Edited by EvanWales
  • Confused 2