Filial vs Cubing

Weskush

Hi breeders or those in the know.

Can anyone advise me on filial breeding vs backcrossing, Squaring and Cubing?

According to my understanding there will be much more diversity with filial breeding (especially F2 generation) than with back crossing but with back crossing there is much more stability or rather uniformity of the desired traits from the mother. Back crossing seems to be the most effective way to achieve a desired line if you have the original mother of course.

Releasing a F1 line then would purely be due to time/space constraints and/or diversity being offered?

Please feel free to correct me on my terminology or (mis)understanding of breeding. 

Cheers✌️

• Like 2

@Totemic purely to educate myself and determining which approach would be the most effective in stabilizing a chosen genetic line. Which method is used in which circumstances? Or is it an approach of " many ways to skin a cat"?

PS.

Found this High Times article:

"If you want to save all your cultivars, S1 everything. You will have pure versions of those clones only in feminized seed form. When you hunt those seeds, you can find the same traits and exact same examples of the mother plants you’re reversing, plus you might find versions that are even better.

S1’s will have the same exact phenotypes that you reverse, plus it will have other unique versions. You can find some better versions of the clone-only mom in the S1’s. If you are trying to save your genetics for a long [time], S1′ s might be the way to go."

Edited by Weskush
  • Like 2

So with filial breeding you are focused on developing the females and the males of a line. Each generation a new male from that generation is selected. Each generation has the potential to produce more and more variation in certain traits while locking in dominant traits. 

Squaring and cubing is focused on developing the females of a line. There is usually only one pollen source, and every subsequent generation is pollinated by the same pollen. Every generation produces less and less variation and lock in on the traits of the original male/group of males. 

Creating S1s is a good way to backup a female as it were. But its also an easy way to lock in undesirable traits, by the way having a double copy of that trait(thus dominant) in the generation.

• Like 3
  • Fire! 1

47 minutes ago, Totemic said:

So with filial breeding you are focused on developing the females and the males of a line. Each generation a new male from that generation is selected. Each generation has the potential to produce more and more variation in certain traits while locking in dominant traits. 

Squaring and cubing is focused on developing the females of a line. There is usually only one pollen source, and every subsequent generation is pollinated by the same pollen. Every generation produces less and less variation and lock in on the traits of the original male/group of males. 

Creating S1s is a good way to backup a female as it were. But its also an easy way to lock in undesirable traits, by the way having a double copy of that trait(thus dominant) in the generation.

Thanks for the info brother✌️Soaking it all in.

• Like 2