Warning......Solo cups

Furbrain

I hope my mistake will help other newbies. If you use Solo cups make sure you make plenty drainage holes at the LOWEST possible point!. My oversite and poorly cut holes!.

Even if you use a small amount of water this will get trapped in the 'channel' where the roots simply drown!. Hope this will help someone. Photo shows black marks where holes should have been!. Live and learn.......IMG_20221105_092354.thumb.jpg.9b3b6fd76aa841a3d722385f03700c91.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Furbrain said:

I hope my mistake will help other newbies. If you use Solo cups make sure you make plenty drainage holes at the LOWEST possible point!. My oversite and poorly cut holes!.

Even if you use a small amount of water this will get trapped in the 'channel' where the roots simply drown!. Hope this will help someone. Photo shows black marks where holes should have been!. Live and learn.......IMG_20221105_092354.thumb.jpg.9b3b6fd76aa841a3d722385f03700c91.jpg

Found some pots that I will try with some serious holes.....IMG_20221105_095246.thumb.jpg.95e5bca1ac1e690229ddd9b091c19001.jpg

• Haha 1

If you have root rot issues in a solo cup with holes then you are definitely overwatering. I cut 3 corners of the bottoms and only a very light watering once the cup feels light weight. Then transplant as soon as i see roots poking from the drainage holes. No problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2022 at 12:53 PM, DesignatedDave said:

I've had endless root rot issues with those cups, no matter how many holes I make, I eventually bought the  RapidGrow rooting pots - https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/rapidgrow-rooting-pots-with-tray/ and haven't looked back since.

image.png.f7c22ac76f91518a75e253cde353de61.png

Hi Dave, hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

These look interesting 🤔!. In soil or Coco would you just keep them moist all the time OR wait until they dry before water....... (like a solo cup)?.  

On 11/9/2022 at 12:53 PM, DesignatedDave said:

I've had endless root rot issues with those cups, no matter how many holes I make, I eventually bought the  RapidGrow rooting pots - https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/rapidgrow-rooting-pots-with-tray/ and haven't looked back since.

image.png.f7c22ac76f91518a75e253cde353de61.png

Will try and I've ordered a set!.

Thanks for the advice and have a groovy day😊.

17 hours ago, Furbrain said:

Would they work with Coco or would you germ/prop in soil (with air pots) and then plant in Coco afterwards?.

Well recently I been preferring to go with Clones over seeds, it just saves you about a month in growth time.
However yes you could do coco in there as well. For coco I start my seeds off in Jiffy's or glue plugs first and then I plant that into coco once they a bit bigger and have good roots growing.

• Thanks 1