The Lazy grow - first auto grow

TheLazyFisherman

57 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Given me an idea here. I have given up on snail baiting my whole yard over and over... I kill a 1000, and the next day its like that mass death never happened. 

Works very well. The melamine acts as a umbrella so the salt doesn't get washed away by rain. Use course salt and initially lightly spray the salt with water and when it drys it will make a solid cake

Edited by TheLazyFisherman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So dried and trimmed weight is 81g, Not bad for my first auto run.
I must say though, the ph lockout did have a knock on effect on the potency and terps...but it's still strong enough to get me properly goofed.

Starting a outdoor run with white prussian again but not going to use FF seedling starter mix as its ph buffered. The rain water ph neutrality caused the previous outdoor Prussian soil to also go over ph8 runoff.

From now on, I will only use FF clean coco and perlite and amend it as it's not ph buffered

My next indoor run I will be selfing an auto, why should I pay seedbanks alot of money for seeds?

• Like 1
  • Fire! 1

• 1 month later...

Evening all

I was sitting and pondering. 

This plant was super healthy and even had some nute burn before i flushed it because of the nute burn. It was all downhill with nute/ph lockout after that. 

Could the flush possibility be the cause? 

It was a proper flush..... Something like 15 to 20 litres of water

Edited by TheLazyFisherman
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 2/28/2023 at 9:12 PM, TheLazyFisherman said:

Evening all

I was sitting and pondering. 

This plant was super healthy and even had some nute burn before i flushed it because of the nute burn. It was all downhill with nute/ph lockout after that. 

Could the flush possibility be the cause? 

It was a proper flush..... Something like 15 to 20 litres of water

Hey bud 🤙 do you own a EC/PPM pen or know of someone that does? 

When flushing your focus is the EC/PPM. so having a way to monitor and take readings on that will give you clear guidance instead of having to do the guessing game.

You fill a bucket out the tap, read the EC, write it down. (should be low, below 1.0, if not don't use, get 5L bottled waters) Now use that water and slooooooooooowly get the pot to field capacity (this will ensure no dry pockets, so your EC reading will be true and more accurate) once you get first few drops of run off you can give a nice drench to get a good amount up to 500ml running out the bottom. Read the EC and see if you still need to flush or not. With living soil a mature plant can handle around 7.0EC and seedlings around 1.0 EC, you play between that. Synthetic growers never really need to go over 4.5 to 5.0EC. 

The flush may have resulted in a too low EC medium 🤷‍♂️ I grow in 30L pots, have had runs in the past toasting my plants to a crisp then doing a full 180 right by the grave. EC read out was 9.9 (anything higher my probe can't even read) but I only flush with like 5 to 10L of water then I'm back at 0.0EC then I have to rebuild the soil with Jamies Elemental blend, bat guano, gypsum and Diatomaceous Earth. 

Nute lockout usually happens cause of salt build up, that can happen even in the earth, not only salty synthetic hydro growers. organic living soils are not free of the salt build up threat. It happens as a result of pockets of nutes, which is something completely natural. the rhizosphere you have a whole micro-universe, if one strand of root finds its way into a pocket of nutes that's too much for it to uptake the root will burn. This will show as early onset signs of nute burn on the leaves, but what happens in the rootzone is the pocket of nutes never gets uptaken cz the roots around that area is now damaged. Now the nute compounds find eachother, same way if you put too much salt in water and let it sit, the salt will "find itself" and recrystallize. This happens on such micro scale you wouldn't be able to see physical crystals with your naked eye, but they're there, these chain of events is what we call "nute lock out" cause the roots got too much of a certain compound and the result is locking out that compound completely, majority of the time you can also see the plant stops uptaking any nutes for that matter or even sometimes you get like N lock out but the plant indicates a Ca shortage, cause it's not always the compound that causes the lock that'll be the one locked out, if that makes any sense? It can also show as nutrient deficiency at later stages. You keep feeding and it seems to not do anything. It's like ph zones, if you out of the right zone the plant only uptakes certain nutes and doesn't uptake others. so you gotta find that fine line balance.

Anyway, hope any of this helped at least a little. 😉

• Like 1
  • Fire! 1

13 hours ago, TheLazyFisherman said:

Not a single snail on my previous outdoor grow after using salt

IMG_20231218_185127.jpg

I keep a bucket 1/3d fill with salt water, snails get dumped in and I clean and refill every week or two. after a while it's like they get the message or they start talking amongst eachother but yeah got minimal snail damage over here this year 😁

• Like 2
  • Fire! 1