Outdoor Autos in the Winter

2 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

you obviously need to know the EC of the water you put in, so test that first. needs to be below 1 EC for seedling plants. 

And this can be reduced by carbon filtering? Are there other ways? Actually, come to think of it, if you do see a too high EC in the runoff, what is the remedy, just more water i.e. flushing until it reaches the correct EC?

realising now you are going to be growing autos

haha, hence the clever name of the topic? 😃

one thing I have to mention before going forward is that you should pop the seed straight in the finishing pot. don't pop and transplant. also don't go from small pot to big pot. one big pot and done.

Yes, this is what I'm going to do, I have no intention of transplanting. After germination they are going straight into the final pots. Based on everything that I read, I opted to use 10l fabric pots.

I feel autos are great for the guys who have loads and loads of weed already and don't mind only harvesting "half-plants" just for new flavour. the guys that know their setups are 100% fine tuned for absolutely no hickups, because even just a slight sign of stress takes you from potential 100g a plant to a maximum yield of +/-50g.

As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I smoke very, very little. When I used to buy it, I bought about 3g every 3-6 months. As such I have no use for as much as 50g and would probably end up giving most away to friends (this is the plan anyway). This is why autoflowers appeal to me so much, because of their smaller size, reduced yield and generally shorter growing period.

I'd rather have a small variety than a large yield that I couldn't possibly use by myself. In fact, I never would've started growing if autos didn't exist. I only learned about them  very recently.

I'll let you know when I am making clones again 😉 you in Western Cape?

I am, yes. Thanks for the offer, I'll see how these go first!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Darclinc said:

As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I smoke very, very little. When I used to buy it, I bought about 3g every 3-6 months. As such I have no use for as much as 50g and would probably end up giving most away to friends (this is the plan anyway). This is why autoflowers appeal to me so much, because of their smaller size, reduced yield and generally shorter growing period.

I'd rather have a small variety than a large yield that I couldn't possibly use by myself. In fact, I never would've started growing if autos didn't exist. I only learned about them  very recently.

I am, yes. Thanks for the offer, I'll see how these go first!

Aha, I see you 🤓 just don't skip over the part where I mentioned you can treat a photoperiod just like an auto. so you don't HAVE to get autos just cause you want less weed, smaller plant and less grow time. you can achieve this with photoperiods too. infact it will be way easier too.

however you can not treat a auto like a photoperiod.

photoperiods wont show you the finger when you colour outside the lines a little. where as with autos are more likely to give a person headaches cause of the whole "don't sneeze near them" thing. not true guage of how good of a grower you are, many times you'll come across people telling you how autos put them off growing cause of all the headache. 

not trying to bash your ways, just trying to make it easier for you brother 💪 

haha, hence the clever name of the topic? 😃

🤣🤣 don't know how I missed that! 

And this can be reduced by carbon filtering?

Carbon filter will remove some stuff, but it doesn't do a lot in terms of lowering EC. 

it will reduce stuff like chloramine, chloride and fluoride.. more a form of chemical reduction to make the water a little more "organic".

for argument sake, if you take a given EC/PPM and run it through a carbon filter the readout should be less, but not much less. and on the other side of the knife, the amount of chemicals in the tap water is most likely less than 0.1, but that's enough chemicals to harm microbes. 

Actually, come to think of it, if you do see a too high EC in the runoff, what is the remedy, just more water i.e. flushing until it reaches the correct EC?

Nail on the head, Sir 🛠 You reduce EC by flushing the medium with low EC water. To increase EC you feed. but not just "feed" you need to know what to give, when to give and how much to give. this is where it becomes interesting 🤠 the plants talk to those who listen 

🌳

• Like 1