Indoor heat issues

Guest Arcz

Greetz People!

A friend of mine is having heat issues with his indoor setup and I am hoping to get some advice.

Setup:

- 80x80 tent

- 400W HPS

- Oscilating fan

- Inline Extraction Fan

- Half meter Carbon Filter

Now Ive given all the advice I could think of but it still seems like the heats too much. So far he has tried:

- HPS all the way up at the top

- Extraction just above the HPS / Or near it

- Small fan Blowing UP to the light from below the plants

- Light on only at night time

- Close Flap vents and only open the Ducting ports in the tent, Thus creating a low level passive intake

Some people have suggested that he insert a Humidifier, but that to me, just opens up the possibility for Mold due to high humidity levels. So other than buying a portable Aircon unit... Whats the option here?

is there any cheap way to get the temps down a bit.

PS I searched the forum for similar topics and could not find any.

Aweh!

UM

6" cool tube...

The light needs to be cooled.

I'v only heard negative feedback regarding the Cooltube, Most say its a gimmick and does not make a real difference?

Whats the general opinion here on the forum about them?

Your desk fan generates 6 to 8 degrees??? Lol that's hectic , hate to say it that if your desk fan does that your cab needs more tuning and extraction.

Cheers

Reaf

I kid you not, and i have a 87cfm fan extracting. My intake is like a little vacuum, hahahaha.

When I removed the desk fan, the temps dropped, but like you say, it might be my setup.

Your desk fan generates 6 to 8 degrees??? Lol that's hectic , hate to say it that if your desk fan does that your cab needs more tuning and extraction.

Cheers

Reaf

I kid you not, and i have a 87cfm fan extracting. My intake is like a little vacuum, hahahaha.

When I removed the desk fan, the temps dropped, but like you say, it might be my setup.

It sounds almost unbelievable that a desk fan would up the temps that much! lol

You sure the fan isn't blowing the hot air from the bulb onto the temp monitor?

Cheers

Reaf

When I removed the desk fan, the temps dropped, but like you say, it might be my setup.

It sounds almost unbelievable that a desk fan would up the temps that much! lol

You sure the fan isn't blowing the hot air from the bulb onto the temp monitor?

So, I checked it out, turns out my fan's angled up a little and it's blowing the heat out of my home made reflector, over my plant and the hygrometer. So I moved it, the temp now only goes up by 3 degrees. #nooberror

I think I should put a hole or two in the reflector for some of the heat to escape.

In my 80x80 i use 2 extractors temps average at 29-30 humidity 39-42 i leave just the 2 opposite vents open slightly i find exhaust throw the bottom 2 ducting ports works better ....its not optimal the tent literally does a little suck in abit but it works for me

Thanks for all the responses. Just a correction I have to make here... its a 8" and not a 6" fan, not that it makes any difference.

after all the searching I accept now that Indoor grows during summer will always be a challenge!  :-puffin

Guest African Shaman

Firstly I would also rather purchase an air-cooled hood over a cool tube any day. Those cool tubes are over rated. Secondly, you should rather blow your air from your oscillating fan over the top of your plants, between the plants and the light. This adjustment will not lower your temps, but it should stop the plant from looking heat stressed. Its better not not blow a fan directly on to your plants like that, as that may be the actual cause of the stress and cause them to look dehydrated. Coupled with the lighting and improper ventilation or air movement and this can create a less than perfect environment for your plants. Also if your plants are small, they may not handle the high temps or harsh environment that well so it depends on the size and development of your plants too. Also are you sure that they are suffering from heat stress, light stress or some other kind of stress? some photos may be helpful as more experienced growers can make a more accurate diagnosis when we can actually see the harm that has been caused. Also a 400w light will get quite hot in a 80X80 grow space i reckon, so venting that heat cause by your light would be a priority of mine too. And get yourself a cheap hygrometer because plants do like a higher humidity during veg but i feel this may not be an issue unless you live in a very dry/arid region. I hope what i have said helps. All the best with this. I'm sure we can figure this out.

Blessings

Guest kimcarsons

In such a small area the square hoods are a waste imho. You're hardly losing light  from the tube. Beyond that, the issue here is heat, which a cool-tube will vent faster as it is a smaller area and a cylinder. In fact those square hoods duck sick. Bare bulbs my friends. Bare bulbs.