Heisenberg's First Grow - "Cousin Larry""

Heisenberg

For those of you thats interested. Here's my first and current plant:

Silly_Setup_01.jpg

If called this plant "Cousin Larry" - Mainly because its survived the worst circumstances IMO. Its first days were grown under an incandescent desk light bulb during the nights, and then moved to a window sill in the mornings before I leave for work. I literally was winging it when I picked these seeds up off my friends table and floor. I stole some potting soil from a different plant and mixed in a 80/20 ratio of potting soil to worm castings. The plant one day fell off the window sill, spilling all the soil and exposing some roots, I put it back expecting the plant to die since they're so sensitive. Alas it still grew...

Eventually I bought this:

DSC_0132.jpg

Its a DIY LED Aquarium lighting kit, with 0.75w LED chipsets. Total of 7.50 watts at R189. Waterproof and gives off almost no heat at all. At the same time, I started reading extensively about the cannabis plant and already saw the errors I was making. I started fixing things and getting a setup more permanent which helped my plant growth a whole lot more. Had a make-shift box made from those dashboard sun protectors, and moved the plant into a bigger pot with LECA:

Cousin_Larry_02.jpg

So yeah, Cousin Larry is still alive and currently in his(technically HER) first week of flowering. Problem is, its growing under my desk and is already quite close to the top. I have no clue what to do about that, since i've been told Sativa's almost double in size during flowering.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah man, thats unfortunatly all the light I have for now. Will order one of these "UFO LED Grow Light "Mary Jane" - 135 Watt, 10.75 Inch, Cooling Fan" once I get more cash and space. This grow was really just a 'lets see what happens'. Also those LED shine at 600 Lumens which apparently equivalent an 11w CFL. But yeah, this really was just a by-the-way grow.

What would you suggest I lack to get this thing growing properly?

Definitely a distinct lack of light :-puffin

600 lumens is basically the equivalent of the light you get just before the sun goes below the horizon at dawn lol Get an 85w CFL at the LEAST and don't blow your cash on that LED. My :-2cents

Really surprised the plant has gotten this far! Cousin Larry indeed! :-clap

Heisenberg anything is possible.

You just have to give the plant what it needs. 

Now think of plants that grow outside. They need the sun to get energy. so your main concern with a small grow is to get the right amount of light to a plant so it can thrive.

You have to give a little to get a little so like 420sa says, go with 85W CFL MINIMUM to start with.

Scrap the LED thought for now, they are expensive and are a pain in the ass when it doesnt work, where you can just go to your local hardware to replace a cfl if it blows.

my 420cents:-hilarious

Heisenberg anything is possible.

You just have to give the plant what it needs.

Now think of plants that grow outside. They need the sun to get energy. so your main concern with a small grow is to get the right amount of light to a plant so it can thrive.

You have to give a little to get a little so like 420sa says, go with 85W CFL MINIMUM to start with.

Scrap the LED thought for now, they are expensive and are a pain in the ass when it doesnt work, where you can just go to your local hardware to replace a cfl if it blows.

my 420cents:-hilarious

Snap...was hoping to not go the CFL route and just grow with LED's. That Cali Green dude makes it look so easy..

Yea in USA/ Europe its easy as they have the right price for LED.

Here in SA we pay a ridiculous price for them AND if they break there is no support in south africa that can ensure you will be up and running with the least amount of delay.

I would suggest going with a 400w HID set up personally, don't waste time with CFL if you plan on making it worth your while.. and an ongoing thing.

Just some more cents from me..

:-meditate

Guest spootch

My 2c is same as 4207365

If you really get into growing and not just mj, you can grow lots of other things indoors as well !

Then u going to need proper lights min 400w HID

Messing around with cfl and cheap UFO LEDs will end up costing the same as just getting the right thing at the start ! Its exactly what I did lol,

BUT I guess thats the fun part tho, trying it all urself and figuring what works.

Ok maybe I should say what my aim is for the future. Since I don't smoke or consume cannabis, I would like to eventually be able to grow a perfect plant, ONE at a time and then harvest it for people with cancer or under going chemotherapy.

That is literally all I want to do, and currently I only have space for one plant under my desk. Until I move next year, the best I could probably do is a CFL or LED. I can't do any ventilation or even hydro as is. I'm on a One plant One light diet.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kimcarsons

My 2c is same as 4207365

If you really get into growing and not just mj, you can grow lots of other things indoors as well !

Then u going to need proper lights min 400w HID

Messing around with cfl and cheap UFO LEDs will end up costing the same as just getting the right thing at the start ! Its exactly what I did lol,

BUT I guess thats the fun part tho, trying it all urself and figuring what works.

More than likely a hermie due to the stress of being force flowered before it was sexually mature.

Cheers

Reaf

Oh my. What do I do with it now if it is a hermie? Also, I waited atleast 2 months before I force flowered the plant. If flowering to soon is the case, what happens to guys who flower after 2 weeks to keep the plant small? Im still learning so i would love to hear from those more experienced than me.

Hi bud

Nothing you can do with the plant , either pull it or use it to learn but you won't get good bud from Larry. ..

It can be done force flowering but it must be done with stable genetics. If memory is correct you got this seed from a friends bankie?  What this tells me is that the seed comes from very unstable weak genetics with hermie tendencies as the original plant that made the seed was pollinated from another hermie plant.

A plant is sexually mature once it starts alternate noding under veg lights and can take anywhere from 4 to 10 weeks depending on genetics and strain.

Cheers

Reaf

Hi bud

Nothing you can do with the plant , either pull it or use it to learn but you won't get good bud from Larry. ..

It can be done force flowering but it must be done with stable genetics. If memory is correct you got this seed from a friends bankie?  What this tells me is that the seed comes from very unstable weak genetics with hermie tendencies as the original plant that made the seed was pollinated from another hermie plant.

A plant is sexually mature once it starts alternate noding under veg lights and can take anywhere from 4 to 10 weeks depending on genetics and strain.

Cheers

Reaf

So this means, if you're buying weed with seeds in them - you've bought really bad stuff? Because a proper female plant (Sensimilla) won't produce any seeds?! Right?

Guest kimcarsons

Not necessarily, but largely yes. You ideally want as few seeds as possible, as the production of seeds robs the plant of energy that could be used to make resin.

Hahaha! You think you funny hey @Skolley . Lol yeah maybe I should name the my pc grow Sally.

@kimcarsons thanks for pointing that out. But it does raise more questions.

1. Since this seed came from a plant that was pollinated by a hermie and possibly was one itself. Could Larry still produce buds that are worth anything however small?

2. If males do not pollinate females, the females then produce buds and no seeds right? That make the female a sensimilla plant, producing only the resin. If you're saying the aim is to get as little seeds as possible on a female plant, that means she can at any point during flowering, get pollinated and then produce seeds? Correct?

Hi bud 

Larry will still produce bud but the quality will be C or B grade . Like Kim said the production of seeds takes a lot away from the plant . As for your second question I am not sure I follow your train of thought... a female plant can be pollinated at any point during flower but if it's only pollinated say a week before you harvest the plant doesn't have time to produce seeds. They goal is to have no seeds in your bud 

Cheers

Reaf

Hi bud

Judging by where that plant is at 4 weeks of flower i would say you got a good 12 weeks left , it's a long time to dedicate to a small hermie plant. Otherwise Larry is looking good.

Cheers

Reaf

Yeah I guess so. But it's cool, il wait till end November. Got another grow going aswell...