Pre employment drug testing? Pros&Cons

Albert15

I'd take the gamble on the test, unless you are 100% sure you are going to fail. Honestly, it depends on the company as well. If they're larger, then it will probably result in a termination or they'll pass on you. A smaller company, on the other hand, may be flexible if they really want you.

A small company who I worked for had an intern fail who was really good at materials analysis and they basically said," Don't smoke weed for 3 weeks because we are testing you again!".

That is, of course, very rare for a company.

Hmm, drug testing... I think it depends what they test for.

Companies need to embrace the change happening, what people do in their time off shouldn't really concern the company all that much - situation dependent.

If people want to party and go ape shit over the weekend and take drugs, so what!? As long as it does not effect their work, why should they care?

Cannabis becoming more and more acceptable, shouldn't be a problem as many are using it for medicinal reasons now too.

Unfortunately some are still stuck in their own ways and some positions I can understand would require it, but that is the exception I feel and wouldn't apply to majority of people.

• Like 1

I think smaller companies can be flexible but corporate now days have to conform with health and safety.

From my days on building sites we used to avoid the plasterers sitting area so that I did not have to kick them off site for having a puff.

Then there was this antique rug restorer I used to work with in London.
When she did her apprenticeship without sounding offensive with some Persian folk. Not sure what area.
Anyway she was paid half cash and half opium which they, boss and all, would smoke during tea times.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Hmm, drug testing... I think it depends what they test for.

Companies need to embrace the change happening, what people do in their time off shouldn't really concern the company all that much - situation dependent.

If people want to party and go ape shit over the weekend and take drugs, so what!? As long as it does not effect their work, why should they care?

Cannabis becoming more and more acceptable, shouldn't be a problem as many are using it for medicinal reasons now too.

Unfortunately some are still stuck in their own ways and some positions I can understand would require it, but that is the exception I feel and wouldn't apply to majority of people.

I agree with you, in my business i have a no drug (including weed) policy, ironic since im a farmer 😅 but as you said some positions require a sober mind, but i know my employees come to work blazed and i don't say or do anything because its during off hours however  i know some places that would still get you fired...sadly 

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 2