Storing Seeds

420SA

Hey okes 

I just received my order from a seed bank abroad and they recommend moving the seeds out of the container they come in and into their own containers. 

So my question is... What are the best containers to store seeds in?

Lekker man, what did you get and where did you order from?

Did you go via the via route to get you seeds?

Sorry for not answering your question as I am not a regular seed storer. 

I would assume moisture, temp and light will influence the longevity of the seeds.

Hey 420

Ok well this is how i've done it for the last 10 years with no dud seeds.

I take my seeds put them into either a small bankie, or into those small glass vials.

You can put a grain of rice or 3 (or silica gel balls) in with them, just to keep the moisture away incase it creeps in.

Then they go into an air tight container with one of those silica gel packs (you find them in new shoes).

Then into the fridge. I must emphasise that the spot you choose should be your spot, as you dont want a fluctuation of temps, which can sprout seeds if the conditions are right. I use the top shelf or the veg drawer.

Then go about as usual when sprouting them..

Awe

:-peace

• Like 1

Thanks okes solid advice!!! I don't have a spare fridge to work with so it will have to be the fridge I use on a day to day basis. Seeing as it's recommended that your fridge temp doesn't go higher than 3 degrees for food, is that temp ok for seeds as well?

Look if you dont have a dedicated fridge, then yes your house fridge will do.

Just be sure to choose a spot and keep them there. either top shelf or veg drawer.

AWE

Shot 420. So generally it's better to store your seeds in the fridge than not?

Mos def...

I have had a few bags off seed that were in my drawer lost between lots of other stuff, and when i tried to germ them id only get a few of them to pop. call it a 50/50 chance..

But why take the chance if you have got genetics that you would want to keep for months maybe years depending on your situation..

Sitting in darkness here due to load shedding and thinking... with Eskom and it's load shedding an all, my fridge is obviously going to oscillate in temps as I don't have a generator. Seeing as I will most probably germ these seeds before the end or the year should i just store them in an airtight container in a cupboard. These oscillations in temps worry me a bit seeing as that's not recommended. Any thoughts?

Hmmmm well a fridge holds its temps pretty well, I mean your food doesn't go off from the load shedding. So I wouldn't worry that much unless your fridge goes from its normal operating temp to a warm temp quickly.

So better to keep them cold as possible than not

Lekker man, what did you get and where did you order from?

Did you go via the via route to get you seeds?

Sorry for not answering your question as I am not a regular seed storer.

I would assume moisture, temp and light will influence the longevity of the seeds.

Sorry for the disgustingly late reply Toby :sillyass clearly got sidetracked!

Got my seeds from Bonza. Great stealth and great packaging :-gthumb  :-gthumb  :-gthumb  Highly recommend them if you're ordering in the cape! I had it sent straight to a home address via Bonza Booty which is the only method they recommend for us Capies. No problems. Took a month to deliver. 

I won't mention all the seeds I ordered but the strain I'm looking most forward to is Scotts OG from Rare Dankness. Ordered 2 regs of those so holding thumbs. Highlights among the freebies is Barney's Cookies Kush.

I won't mention all the seeds I ordered but the strain I'm looking most forward to is Scotts OG from Rare Dankness. Ordered 2 regs of those so holding thumbs. Highlights among the freebies is Barney's Cookies Kush.

Dude!!!! Scotts OG!!!! Please can we have a chat!!! I'm dying to have that in my collection!!!!

Lekker man, what did you get and where did you order from? Did you go via the via route to get you seeds? Sorry for not answering your question as I am not a regular seed storer. I would assume moisture, temp and light will influence the longevity of the seeds.

Got my seeds from Bonza. Great stealth and great packaging :-gthumb :-gthumb :-gthumb Highly recommend them if you're ordering in the cape! I had it sent straight to a home address via Bonza Booty which is the only method they recommend for us Capies. No problems. Took a month to deliver.

Thanks admin. I have heard good things from them before. Ill definitely be looking at them for my next batch, Shot bruv :)