Did the Dehumidifier kill my plant?

Venom

3 strains. SSH, Guava Ghost Train and an unknown from Swazi. All three were doing well, went into week 5 of flower and I noticed some mould starting. Humidity was at 75%. Enter the dehumidifier into the tent. Within a week, the Swazi unknown starts wilting and drooping. I flush...nothing. So I give small dose of multivitiamin...nothing. Two weeks down the track, the Swazi unknown is dead and the other two are in prestine condition. (Actually the Guava Ghost is looking richer, thicker and growing well) Humidity is and was at set to 50%. (Mould is gone)

So my question is: Is it a genetic thing where the one plane needs more humidity to survive? Because the only change that occurred was the dehumidifier.

Guest Maxwell

Soil or hydro? The transition coupled with the stress of a sudden drop in RH could contribute to an already sick plant. But as for killing it dead, I am doubtful. My money lies on a fungal infection or a pH problem. Only time I have had a plant up and die like that has been from a massive drop from 6 to 5 in pH over a weekend. Coupled with the stresses like heat, the plant was overwhelmed. Could be similar. Pictures would definitely help.

Thanks guys, here is all the info.

I pulled the plant and sent it on it's merry way. Dead Dead Dead. I did not want it interfering with the Guava and SSH (which are in magnificent condition).

It's in soil (It's a mix of organic soil, compost, vermiculite). I do have an inlet fan with a larger extractor fan. I checked the PH and it read 6.5 each day. The issue with the mould was white powdery spots here and there and it was spreading very slowly. Now, since we are in flower, I wanted to stop it before it got into the buds. The Dehumidifier did the job. The only change that took place was that i moved the plants (Slowly, over a full week) over from a lights on at 08h00 and off 20h00 to a lights on 20h00 and off 08h00 (I use CFL). I did this because the dehumidifier generates heat. The heat from the lights and the dehumidifier coupled to heat from the day, would have put my entire crop at risk. I have a heater in the grow room keeping the temp at 18 degree day and night and I let the lights and dehumidifier fluctuate the temp.

So maybe the plant did not like the lights changing time?

Maybe it did not like the humidity change?

Maybe it does not like the new temp ranges?

When it started going, only the top started drooping. Then the lower part joined in. After that the leaves started turning brown from the middle of the leaf. The plant lost most of it's ability to stand and was starting to use the Guava Ghost as support, even though I was supporting lots of it.

My other thought is this: This plant was a Swazi unknown. When I started, I had 5 in the tent. One turned hermie, the other three became male and then there was this female. These are all seeds that I took from stuff that I got. Now, three other Swazis were planted in pots outside. One became a boy, so he died. The other two are females. One got really sick...my own fault, but is recovering well. The other is a beauty. So I am also wondering is some plants just cannot flower indoors?

Sorry guys, no photo's of that dead plant, it will make you cry, it's not worth taking pics of that now.

Guest Maxwell

Perhaps, although as bad as it is, it is also remarkable in many ways! I think it should be used as an additive only, low CEC but packed with trace minerals. A lot can come from vermiculite in dire times and it is practically indestructable. Part of a mineral family that was formed in the earliest stages of our planet, it definitely shouldn't be totally ignored imo.