Local Growing - Legal Requirements

BluntKnife

Hi 420SA

I am new a member to the forum, long time smoker and hopefully soon to be grower 🙂

I love this plant and all its benefits.

I have been browsing through the forum but cannot find my answers yet so hoping someone can help and guide me 🙂

What I wanted to find out is, also not sure if I am posting this in the right section or if this has been discussed recently.

But, what is the current legal situation with growing your own plants at home?

Am I allowed to grow as many plants as I want or is their a legal limit?

If my neighbors see the plants and if they assholes, could they report me to the cops?

If cops drive past my house and see the plants growing, are they allowed to come and arrest me or confiscate my plants?

Basically in short, what can I do and what should I try avoid?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BluntKnife said:

But, what is the current legal situation with growing your own plants at home?

The Constitution of South Africa by right of privacy allows any person in South Africa to cultivate cannabis for the purpose of personal consumption in a private space. 

Am I allowed to grow as many plants as I want or is their a legal limit?

No legal limit established, but you must be able to argue that the amount of plants you are growing is for consumption of those in the household. A recent draft legislation circulated not to long ago indicating a limit of 600g per person with a maximum of 1200g per household. I'd use that as a rough guideline. I'm sure that alone is more than enough.

If my neighbors see the plants and if they assholes, could they report me to the cops?

If cops drive past my house and see the plants growing, are they allowed to come and arrest me or confiscate my plants?

Difficult to answer because an asshole neighbor can literally report for anything. If an asshole neighbor calls the cops on you because they just see cannabis plants on your property, the cops can't do shit. However, if you're just growing for yourself, and a neighbor reports that they "suspect dealing" on your property, and they see your growing setup, then they probably will confiscate or destroy all your shit, and your case would 98% get thrown out in court. So at the end of the day, you'll never ever get a criminal record for cultivating cannabis in private. 

Will a dumb poes cop who doesn't know the law drag you through the system just so they can fuck with you? Ey baba, this is Africa. 

Basically in short, what can I do and what should I try avoid?

Don't do anything illegal. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Ill_Evan said:

Don't do anything illegal. 

Or be prepared to face the consequences! 😛 ... so if you're going to do something illegal, make sure it's worth it 😄 

I am sure we've all broken the speed limit at some point.

Welcome, I think Mr @Ill_Evan answered all your questions pretty well.

So what's your thoughts? You going to take a leap and start a grow?

If you need help or advice, start a new thread and you'll get tons of advice and recommendations.

• Like 4

@Ill_Evan Thank you so much man, appreciate you answering all my questions.

@PsyCLown I most certainly am going to start my grow sometime soon 🙂 I just need to still do a bit of research around everything and start finding out places to purchase stuff e.g. nutrients, seeds etc

I am planning on doing Outdoor for now as a starting point, indoor does seem cool, but I dont have the cash up front to go down this road.

I will definitely be starting a new thread sometime soon, as I am going to need a lot of advice in the beginning 🙂

• Like 2