BLUMAT dripsytem advise needed

GGG

Question

I'm curious to hear what you guys moisture levels is, I'm growing in FF custom soil.

What I have read is that moisture levels for our favourite plant should be between 120-150 in veg and 150-180 millibar in flower with the Digital moisture meter.

Here is my where I need help, drippers start at about 130 millibar and then it only stops at 50 millibar, is this a problem espesially in flower?

Any advise is welcome

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

I use coco and also use the blumat tropf carrots.

I adjust it by eye and then monitor it to ensure its watering sufficiently. I don't bother measuring the soil and don't have anything to measure the soil either.

I did try the carrots out with some Organics Matter soil when I first got them and did the same without issues, the plants seemed to love the dripper and regular feeding.

I've had no issues with my plants while using the tropf carrots.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 3

So I added a pump so I don't need to worry about gravity.

I want to look into something which will spread the water better.

How many drippers do you have per Blumat carrot?

I'm really thinking of looking into these too,
@PsyCLown and anyone else, have user advice on these, pro's and cons as such please?
Also where to get them cheapest and what all do you need to get with, or is it all included?
Hope you dont mind me using your thread @GGG
shot guys
No worries

• Thanks 1

@StickyD420 , I like the simplicity of the Blumat and you need to consider a few things
1. Where to source your water from, do you want to use a pump like@PsyCLown or strait onto a tap or gravity, reservoir should then be atleast 1m above soil level. I don't have height or space and my 25L reservoir is just above 50cm from soil and I top it up every second day.

2. Size of pot to determine Blumat carrot size- my totes are 45cm deep and the short carrot didn't work as I wanted, bottom of tote was to wet, so I replaced with the Maxi. If you have a normal 25-30 cm deep pot the normal one fine.

3. Drippers - Depending on gravity or not you can put 3-6 drippers per Blumat even more if you do pump or tap, I'm doing 3/Blumat this run.

I just run clean water through it and when I want to to add SST or anything I feed manually by hand .

With the Digital Moisture Meyer from them I'm able to dail it in the way I want it but you don't need it as such.

• Thanks 1

So I want to try and improve my system a bit. These smaller carrot work well for my 20L fabric pots.

I have a small pump for an aquarium in my res, so no need to have the res high off the ground.
Although I'm thinking try and put a larger pump in next time and then see whether the drippers are more balanced or look into a dripper ring of sorts, similar to what flora flex have I guess.

The blumat tropf carrots are super easy to setup and fine tune. To fine tune its just turning the screw at the top to loosen or tighten the grip it has on the tubing.
It doesn't leak, unlike my DIY attempt at an automatic watering system and does not require high pressure to ensure even feeding as each carrot can be adjusted individually.
The carrots only provide water when the medium dried up a bit - so plants only get water when needed and not as per a set schedule.
Over watering isn't really a problem with coco, but if one were to use it with soil it can help prevent that.
Fertigation I find leads to better growth and my plants seem happier compared to when I was feeding by hand with a watering can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1