Clone Problems

ajcapetown

Hi guys

I often get this problem with my clones, they usually always pull through but it's annoying and delays their growth.

It always starts around day 7/8. Could it be a n deficiency? I've always thought that nutes shouldn't be given to clones until they root so I don't give them anything until close to 14 days.. This time I have actually given them a bit of bio grow to see if that works but I'm on day 11 now and they are still wilting. Mostly new growth and they don't all do it. 

I gave the nutes yesterday which may have been a bit late if it is a deficiency. 

Could it be that the medium is too wet? Too much light? I have them under HID but at a distance of close to a meter so I don't think it's that. I used jiffy pellets and rockwool cubes but they seem to be both doing it.

Any advice from the expert cloners?? When do you start giving your clones nutes?

I ph'd the rock wool to 5.5 and the jiffy to 6.5.

As I said I know they will survive because this has happened many times before and they come right once they get into soil but it would be nice to know what I'm doing wrong.

IMG_0461.thumb.jpg.72433ae6f5f8a82529bee1ccb60ce0a0.jpg

IMG_0462.thumb.jpg.976e41e7626c5eac441293700ec45a53.jpg

IMG_0463.thumb.jpg.bfba70ab279cf792a0725204e8beea06.jpg

Guest kaiju

Hey AJ

How i do clones and this works 99% of the time not saying its how you should be doing it but this is what works for me. I have however changed over to perlite for cloning and it works like a bomb. 

I soak jiffys till they expand and poke holes into them, once i have taken my cuttings and dipped into cloning gel/powder i insert and gently squeeze out any excess water gently trying to not compact the jiffy. What ever water is left in the jiffys will go towards making my humidity dome humid. Once the lid goes on you should never have to wet the jiffys again just spray the inside of the lid ever day or 2. No nutes should be given till the plant has roots, this is what i have been told and it works for me.

That should be getting you healthy clones. If not check heat issues, also your plants will not be needing nutes at all, they are trying to make roots, some will not agree with me here but you want to take away all means of the plant being able to live unless it produces roots. if you give your plant nutes ( i assume your foilar feeding ) then it does not need roots to live, so you will just slow the whole process down, and cause burn. 

Anyway my :-2cents

It works for me and thats what i know hope it helps

Guest kaiju

A 600 watt bulb will be too much light unless you have it 3 or 4 feet away but  you could accomplish the same amount of light from lower wattage bulbs placed closer. You can get away with a few 20 watt cfl's for your clones. But check your heat and humidity. The light could be too strong though

Guest kaiju

Light is the energy of photosynthesis. Light provides the energy for growth

Light can be seperated into two types of energy

Light intensity ( Lumens ) Clones are best cultivated under low light levels they do not require high light energy in fact if light levels are too high this will result in stressing the clones and thus lower strike rates and or total disaster. For this reason Low Intensity Lighting is best suited for cloning

Light Colour Spectrum: Veg growth is best stimulated by blue spectrum light, Flourescent grow tubes with a colour rating of approx 6400 kelvin blue spectrum is ideal for cloning

I hope this helps.

Also check that they are not getting too cold and your shocking them. 

List to check:

Light 

Heat

Humidity

I don't really agree with the 100% humidity .... but I use a bubble cloner. In my case I find 2 much humidity slows down cloning , i haven't used a dome in years. I mist my plants for the first 2 days 3 times a day and then just leave them. You also have way to much light , you are aiming for a lux level of between 1500 lux and 2500 lux. No more and no less , I find a 18w 6400k tube works the best with a 24/0 light cycle.

You may also be getting air locks in your clones.. it is when u cut them they get a tiny air bubble in the stem that stops moisture uptake. I know a few growers that actually cut there clones under water to prevent this. 

Also as mentioned there is no need for feeding unless there are roots. It's a balance u have to keep between giving the plant to much and slowing down rooting and not enough and the clone dying . 

It takes practice but you will get it , but really a clone bubbler made it MUCH easier and quicker , I can go from a cutting to a rooted clone growing in 8 days now with some strains.

Cheers

Reaf

Guest kaiju

Hey bud

Just make one, they piss easy to make. really no need to spend any cash on fancy ones. youtube or google, LOADS of info out there. IT REALLY IS PISS TO MAKE. 

Cloning is also something you have to try different ways of doing. Some people dont get results from a bubbler some dont get results from jiffies some fart at the clone roots. Its really up to you what you like best and what works for you. do a side by side test and log it here for us 

Jiffy vs bubbler results, will be cool to see especially if its your first time and it works, then everyone can see how easy it is. 

:thumbups :thumbups

What ever you chose good luck with and im sure you will nail it eventually.