Reveging - strange initial growth

highchome

I did not clone my cali-orange before it flowered. So at harvest time I cut a few stems to try reveging. It has been pretty successful but there was some really strange growth initially which I was not expecting.

2019-05-15_reveg.png.e2114874ad27e28f41831688b1663796.png

Firstly the plant started looking a bit unhealthy which I was expecting.
What was strange was a few club shaped leaves on quite long stems and then a few leaves with very smooth edges.  Is that normal? 

The new growth is now finally looking healthy so I'm guessing it was just while the plant was adjusting to the rather severe changes I forced on it :classic_unsure:

Californian Orange is such a classic strain! If the buds have a really tang orange taste that lingers around I would consider making that a mother plant. :) Not sure if water curing removes a lot of the terpenes responsible for taste.

And oh yeh, looks super normal like @Green Leaf Organics said, alien. She wants to be a mom! 

Edited by Dank

15 minutes ago, Dank said:

Not sure if water curing removes a lot of the terpenes responsible for taste.

Yeah, it definitely does. That is the tradeoff, smother smoke, less smell but less flavour. Probably better for edibles than smoking because of that.

17 minutes ago, Dank said:

I would consider making that a mother plant.

Yeah, definitely. I've got three different strains of mothers I'm starting on now. Exciting times 

16 minutes ago, highchome said:

Yeah, it definitely does. That is the tradeoff, smother smoke, less smell but less flavour. Probably better for edibles than smoking because of that.

Yeah, definitely. I've got three different strains of mothers I'm starting on now. Exciting times 

Awesome :-puffin    I'm am curious, and really no offense meant, now that it is legal for personal use and cultivation, why remove the terpenes? Must be a bit old school, cause i was looking at the water curing thread like wtf? I love this hobby!

Bit of a flavour junkie when it comes to smoking bud, I have heard that the terpenes are also responsible for some of the medical properties of Cannabis. Perhaps something to consider, but I understand the taste of green cannabis is not the greatest. This can also be remedied by making some bubble hash extract or dry sift to use for edibles.

Cooking should taste a bit less grassy, dosage however will be a bit more tricky I expect.

Edited by Dank

29 minutes ago, Dank said:

why remove the terpenes?

Partly because I was just interested in the technique and wanted to try it out, and partly because I did not have a good place for a dry cure. This was my first ever grow so I was nervous to dry cure without having a better place to dry cure and ensure I did not get mold etc. But yeah, mainly just "because" :classic_tongue: (it was just a fun thing to try).

no offense meant,

No worries at all. I'm here to learn as much as possible, the more questions the better!

I have heard that the terpenes are also responsible for some of the medical properties of Cannabis

I saw an article say that too, after I had already started. However I have not seen any real detail on that so I'm not sure how definitive that is. I'll need to read up so more.

I think it worked out well enough for the cannabutter. I suspect I'll be dry curing from now on despite that. Overall I'm glad I tried something different/odd this stuff is fun :), but yes my next cure will be traditional.

some bubble hash extract

I've never looked into that. I'll read up. Thanks!

Edited by highchome
  • Like 1

Yeh no worries, a lot of things in this industry has been found out by guys experimenting. A real testament to what a versatile plant it is!

If you are interested in preserving terpenes and if space is a issue, you can give freeze drying a try. :-rolled little experiment im busy with.

In the states they use expensive freeze dryers, that have a vacuum chamber, etc, to dry fresh plant matter, or resin heads collected via water extraction (bubble hash).

Now you can do the same thing in your freezer, except it does not take 2 days, more like a few weeks, but the crazy thing is that it kind of works! Will tweak it a bit more, have only tested a very small batch, and also for drying bubble hash. 

• Like 1