Polystyrene Cup vs. Seedling Tray

Mellow

Hey guys,

Was just wondering should I use polystyrene cups or those small  black seedling trays for my germinating seeds?
I'll be growing outdoors (mainly out of interest of the hobby)
I started my last one in the seedling tray, worked fine until I messed up with feeding etc. a few weeks into growing. So was just wondering if the deeper polystyrene cups would be better (obviously would put some drainage wholes in the bottom)
Any advice, concerns or suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

Are you planning to grow in the cup for its entire life?

They should only be there for about 2 weeks and you shouldnt really feed them until about 3 weeks..

Cups are cheap and you can destroy them at transplant time so that you dont disturb the rootball.Just make a slit down the cup and slowly remove the entire rootball.

• Like 1

personally prefer plastic cups, hold up better and dont really discolour, easier to cut away too. prefer cups for ease of removal as batista mentioned, always seem to damage rootball in seedling trays

Edited by McB

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By CannaCult
      3 out of 3 Seeds of the Cannabist Grandaddy Purple Fast Fem germinated in Jiffy pellets that I buffer myself as well. I have had 100% success rate with this method:
      I am no pro but it works for me so maybe someone might benefit from this.. 
      Soak Jiffy Pellets in Buffering solution(50g Calmag salt in 20l water) for 12 hours. 
      Press out most of the solution without breaking the lining. 
      Rinse with tap water and press out excess water. 
      Make a nutrient solution as per specifications and soak the pellets for a few minutes.  (I used Vitalink Coco Max SW A+B @ half a ml to 1l water each PHed to 6.2)
      Press out most of the water and fluff up the peat inside the lining. 
      Carefully place the seeds about 1cm into the pellet, place in a warm dark place until first sign of germination. If the peat dries out before the first sign of germination, use the nutrient solution above to moisten the pellet. (Note that if the pellet is too wet, your seedling might die due to 'dampening-off') 
      Move under a 18/6 light cycle. (I use a 250W MH) 

Note: If you are unsure of the wet/dryness of your pellet, practice on some bagseeds until you find the sweet-spot. 
      I grow in 100% Washed and Buffered Coco Coir.
      (I might do a tutorial on this in future as I think that Coco is the best grow medium "better than soil" for our plants but people experience issues because it was never properly washed or buffered.) 
      Follow along for updates. 
      Next: Transplant to Coco in grow bags. 
      I have more than 1 Strain growing concurrently but this thread is dedicated to the Local Genetics. 

• By Bakstein420
      Hi 420
      I have grown a few outdoor plants but never made it to harvest due to garden services, mad dog etc and so decided to try indoor to protect my babies.
      I purchased some auto's from gsr, I'm a big fan of northern lights.
      https://www.greensmokeroomseeds.com/index.php?_route_=sa-local-stock/auto-local/nothern-berry-gold-feminised-seeds&limit=50
      https://www.greensmokeroomseeds.com/index.php?_route_=sa-local-stock/auto-local/auto-northern-blueberry-lights-feminised-seeds&limit=50
      Since this was the first time using purchased seeds, I decided to use rockwool cubes and a humidity dome. I soaked the seeds in ph'd declorinated water for 12 hours (they had sank to the bottom) then placed them in the soaked rockwool cubes in a humidity dome and stuck them in the cupboard. 
      After 7 days nothing happened, so I carefully opened up the rockwool to find 1 seed just starting a tap root while the 2nd seed showed no sign change.
      Contacting GSR they recommended I place the humidity domes in a sunny spot, which I did. 
      It is now 4 days later and the seed that did crack is showing really slow progress (pic 1) while the 2nd seed still hasn't popped.
      Since this was also my first time using rockwool I suspected that could be the problem. I took 2 more GSR seeds and used my usual technique that I have had great success with bag seed.
      Soak seeds in ph'd dechlorinated water for 12 hours, place on wet kitchen towel, put in zip lock bag and leave under modem.
      After 4 days 1 seed has just cracked the shell (pic 2) but once again there is nothing happening with the 2nd seed.
      Both times it was the north berry gold that showed progress, albeit slow progress. The other strain seems to have no interest in germinating.
      I am based in Durban so I doubt temperature or humidity could be an issue. Now that you know the story, please point out what I am doing wrong