Critical Ogre and Onyx Auto Outdoor

Breadinator

Seeing as it is summer and I am to exited to wait ~9months to harvest a photo, I thought I would start my first grow with auto's outdoor. 

I did a lot of reading before I decided to start my first grow, but obviously still have a lot to learn along the way.

I have started the grow at the beginning of October and tomorrow they will be 3 weeks above soil.  

Okay, so I ordered the Critical Ogre seeds from a local seedbank and recieved the Onyx as a freebie and decided to plant one Critical Ogre and the one Onyx.

I stocked up with the following in preperation of the grow:

Jiffy Pellets

20L Freedom Pots

Organic Promix

Biobizz Bio-Grow

Biobizz Bio-Bloom

and for combating pests:

Biogrow Ferramol

Biogrow Bioneem

As you can see, I am going to try growing organic.  They are currently receiving 7hours direct sunlight and daylight in my area is currently 13 hours.

• Like 1

Day 15 - Fed with 2ml/l Bio grow last night with 2L, gave more volume as usual as the last few days it was 30 degrees C +.  Noticed today one of the leaves are curling over upwards, dont think it is due to the higher dose, as it is only one leave.

Still struggling with the mites, found lady bugs in my garden and moved them to the plants, hopefully they will help.

20181028_153848.jpg

20181028_153933.jpg

• Like 1

Which brings us to today.  Have not been home in two days, but my friend has informed me something took a few big bites from the leaves, something as in slugs or caterpillars.  Biogrow Ferramol added on top of the soil and the surrounding area.

Hopefully it is not to bad when I am back tomorrow morning.  Also considering adding diatomaceous earth (as I have free access to it), just not sure how much to add as a top layer.

Edited by Breadinator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Breadinator said:

Day 11 - Noticed spots on the leaves, SPIDER MITES and GNATS!

I had this problem with fungis knats , try this, place a 2-3cm layer of perlite over the top soil . Ive heard that Sharp sand also works (Builders sand) but I've tried the perlite and I know that worked for me.  

• Like 2

The sharp sand is what led me to Diatomeus earth(DE):

"

Diatomaceous earth kills bugs with the help of its razor-sharp particles. The diatoms that make up diatomaceous earth have microscopic razor-sharp edges. Although not harmful to large, strong surfaces, these tiny razor blades are detrimental to ants, bed bugs, fleas and other crawling insects.

"

It also is commonly used as filter agent in the beverage industry

Thanks, I'll try the perlite on one and the DE on the other.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fungal gnats are more a pain in the ass then and actual problem. If you spraying weekly which you should be doing with a good IPM that should keep them under control.

If you have mites, that however is a nightmare to get rid of and could possibly really set your plant back. Hope I'm wrong. Growing outside you really need to have a good preventive maintenance plan going, hence a IPM pack or similar.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Justin Hemp said:

Fungal gnats are more a pain in the ass then and actual problem. If you spraying weekly which you should be doing with a good IPM that should keep them under control.

If you have mites, that however is a nightmare to get rid of and could possibly really set your plant back. Hope I'm wrong. Growing outside you really need to have a good preventive maintenance plan going, hence a IPM pack or similar.

Im not sure if what I read was wrong , I read that knat larvae consume roots and plant sap which weaken ur plant and impact its yield. US growers will go through complete tent bleaching and restart their grows to start from scratch cos its the only way to get rid of them. I also did this and since bleaching my tent, using better quality soil/compost with perlite on my top soil, I have no bugs at all in my tent right now. My knat problems started with shitty culterra potting soil/compost which came infested with bugs.  

Edited by S420

10 hours ago, Breadinator said:

The sharp sand is what led me to Diatomeus earth(DE):

"

Diatomaceous earth kills bugs with the help of its razor-sharp particles. The diatoms that make up diatomaceous earth have microscopic razor-sharp edges. Although not harmful to large, strong surfaces, these tiny razor blades are detrimental to ants, bed bugs, fleas and other crawling insects.

"

It also is commonly used as filter agent in the beverage industry

Thanks, I'll try the perlite on one and the DE on the other.

Wanted to add that my perlite is a bit finer , more like sand than little stones. This could be why my perlite works so well.

43 minutes ago, S420 said:

Im not sure if what I read was wrong , I read that knat larvae consume roots and plant sap which weaken ur plant and impact its yield. US growers will go through complete tent bleaching and restart their grows to start from scratch cos its the only way to get rid of them. I also did this and since bleaching my tent, using better quality soil/compost with perlite on my top soil, I have no bugs at all in my tent right now. My knat problems started with shitty culterra potting soil/compost which came infested with bugs.  

In essence what I'm saying is if you have a good IPM and spray weekly the gnats shouldn't be too much of an issue. You shouldn't have to solely concentrate on the gnats only as the IPM will keep that under control also. Ensure the soil is dry when watering as a continuous wet soil will bring a load of problems

On 11/3/2018 at 8:12 AM, S420 said:

had the same issue with cultera now that you mention it, but at least the cuttworms arent as bad as some locally packaged stuff. never really had an issue with gnats, had them, but didn't develop into anything major. mites are a whole new kettle of fish

• Like 1

I do not think they came with the soil as it was purchased from my local hydroponic shop which they make up themselves (I assume as there are no branding on the bags),  could be wrong and only started having problems when I moved them to a more sunnier spot.

It does seem that there are less bugs on the plants, I sprayed them with Neem Oil again last night and added a top layer of Diatomaceous Earth afterwards.  The lower leaves received the most damage, but new growth seems okay.  It looks like they have been stunted a bit, expected them to be a bit bigger by now, these photos were taken last night - Day 24

A makeshift wind shield was placed around the plants for the last 4 days due to high winds.

20181105_172938 (2).jpg

20181105_172944 (2).jpg

20181105_173148 (3).jpg

20181105_173210 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Day 36 - pest activity seem to be under control, sprayed with pyrol two days ago. Will resume using the neem oil weekly.

They are growing faster and I increased the feeding dose to 2.5ml/l biogrow, added 2l to each on Day 34. Noticed burned tips and sides curling up today, Critical Ogre affected the most. Diagnosed the cause as the increase in feed dose (hopefully I am correct) and flushed both plants with tap water today.b57a2f5ef201708d54bb23c76efd3346.jpg9029cf14e5b69bcdb4da010c3a31e7a4.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Day 46 - Flowering started on day 38, started feeding with Bloom. First feeding after flush was 5 days ago, 1.5ml/l Grow & 1ml/l Bloom.

New growth seems healthy. Spotted a visitor on one of the leaves. He doesn't seem to be eating the leaves (has been there for two days). Did a quick search and for me it looks like a crab spider, which is a carnivor.e3197ec9a60031a041fe2f3e62f84166.jpg2525dccbbdc9caa2e8ec5f879b79e2b6.jpg25007d06558afc2aba5f40c33457fe02.jpg59c5dbf158858d98b55322dfd4d40737.jpgf25e5537f552b47fa617476ee04999b3.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have been away all week, last feeding was 6days ago with 2ml/l Bloom and 1ml Grow, rest of the week only received rain water.  Also forgot to mention, i added Environoc 401 ("microbes for the environment") to the soil and sprayed with Biogrow Phyta ("A suspension derived from highly available phosphorous, potassium and chelated trace elements") 13 days ago,  bottle instructions for both states to apply every 2weeks.

Day 56  - Grew quite a bit this week,  still looking healthy, some nice frost starting to appear.  According to seed info, the Critical Ogre finishes between 63 and 70days and the Onyx between 75 and 85days 

20181208_091101.jpg

20181208_091050.jpg

20181208_091156.jpg

20181208_091219.jpg

Day 69 - Almost harvest time. The last week there was a lot of lateral growth, removed some fan leaves and tied the side branches down. Thinking of harvesting in sections so that the new bud sites can also mature, just not so sure how removing the whole main cola is going the affect the growth of the side branches.6b477f013fd437e4bd11c7e4766dfb2c.jpg7ed4d8f8a437b7c11f28ae930fd892af.jpg2a226fda1e6b4904ee7c5991bbbbc8c5.jpg8a53a1725ced786363e7ca39aadae485.jpg

• Like 2

Day 74 - Checked the trichomes today, all of them still seem clear.

It is nice having these grow next to each other compairing the height and bud structure seeing the sativa and indica influence.

Spotted some mites yesterday, removed those I could and hopefully the wind and rain will help keep there numbers down. Not sure if it is a good idea spraying Neem oil at this stage, I am guessing 1 - 2 weeks left before harvest.f63097e40cc32986874f48e9a8330e69.jpgff565358c8a6e287d24cf9619671f5db.jpg1bf383566ca448556e7c1cc95ee2d6d4.jpgac5399421c967edaff9f515d42dda0e9.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fed both with 3ml bloom and 1ml grow after I removed the main cola, rest will be plain water, a week or so left.

Also, about twee weeks ago I saw this green bulge underneath the jiffy pellet netting, removed the netting and it looks like a branch. The roots are quite shallow after the soil dropped a few centimeters during the grow. If I remove a few millimeters I can see the roots.e89ef84b80e7121143f265a08532abbe.jpg9b41f08661ce7faa30c8febf45ef9af0.jpgc0d740313396b740cc80af101414b6ff.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Harvested the rest of the critical ogre last week and the onyx today.

My guess is the total dry weight for each to be around 10 - 15g. I will give the a propper weigh in once onyx goes into the jars.

Not a high yield but I am satisfied with the results and knowledge gained during my first grow.

These two auto's roots barely filled half of the pot, will from now on always start small and transplant when needed.