Organic Grow Take 2

zairek

This is a little complicated bud- you’re gonna have to do some reading on your own, but here’s a quick rundown:( this is a hypothetical example) if your soil is buffered at 6.8, you feed at 6.0. The acidity causes a reaction in your soil, freeing calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium etc. from the various sources in the soil. The pH slowly increases to your soils buffer value over a day or so, thus allowing the plant to take up these nutrients at the pH they are best absorbed. Each time you do this, you’re using up some of the alkalinity in the soil, and slowly the soil starts getting more acidic.

This is why some people measure runoff pH. It tells them how much buffering potential is in the soil. Example: if you water at 6.0 and the runoff is 6.5, you can safely assume you’re soil pH is above 6.5, probably around 6.8.

If you water at 6.0 and the runoff is 6.0, then the soil has no buffer, and you will run into deficiencies, because some nutrients are best absorbed at 6.5 pH etc. Also, as you continue to feed at 6.0, the soil will become more acidic, and the plant will ultimately be unable to take up nutrients in the 6.0 to 7.0 range ( basically everything)

Like I said, just a quick explanation.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a little complicated bud- you’re gonna have to do some reading on your own, but here’s a quick rundown:( this is a hypothetical example) if your soil is buffered at 6.8, you feed at 6.0. The acidity causes a reaction in your soil, freeing calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium etc. from the various sources in the soil. The pH slowly increases to your soils buffer value over a day or so, thus allowing the plant to take up these nutrients at the pH they are best absorbed. Each time you do this, you’re using up some of the alkalinity in the soil, and slowly the soil starts getting more acidic.

This is why some people measure runoff pH. It tells them how much buffering potential is in the soil. Example: if you water at 6.0 and the runoff is 6.5, you can safely assume you’re soil pH is above 6.5, probably around 6.8.

If you water at 6.0 and the runoff is 6.0, then the soil has no buffer, and you will run into deficiencies, because some nutrients are best absorbed at 6.5 pH etc. Also, as you continue to feed at 6.0, the soil will become more acidic, and the plant will ultimately be unable to take up nutrients in the 6.0 to 7.0 range ( basically everything)

Like I said, just a quick explanation.

Well set out I would say, thanks for that. So you need to basically adjust as you go along and check run off every once in a while to check where you at?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Pretty much yes. It’s not unusual to slowly raise your input pH, as the buffer in the soil is used up, over the grow timeframe. It depends on your soil strategy: transplant once, and you’re gonna have used up the buffer by the end of the grow. Transplant twice, and you’re able to replenish the buffer. Put too much lime in the soil, and you’ll have to go in very acidic to counter the alkalinity, but then, you’re going to release too much calcium, which will lock out K.

Please remember, the above is just a basic outline explanation. It’s just to give you an idea of what’s going on in soil. It’s also just about the limit of my understanding on the subject. The best strategy is always to change things slowly, and not overdo anything.

I buffer my soils with dolomite lime and gypsum when I mix them up. 

The ph starts off at 7 exactly after my mix, and as it cooks the ph starts dropping as the microbial life starts decomposing the organic matter.

By the time my ph has stabilised to about 6.5 ish after a few months is a sign that the soil is functioning and ready to plant in. Keep the microbes happy and the ph should stay fine.

The ph always stays stable during my grows.

I have mentioned in another post, but I aim for a liter of soil per week I intend keeping the plant alive. I have a soil for veg, and a soil for flowering so as Bud said, depending on your repot schedule you should never have to worry about the buffer breaking down. If it does break, there really is no way to introduce a buffer evenly through the soil, so it will be spent soil.

:-peace

Guest shadowassasin

Thats sucks hope thy come right for you, I agree with checking ph of the run off and just ph adjusted water with maybe a little cal mag depending on your waters starting ec. The water here by me is is kak I you calimagic even on just plain water its helps release or absorb the remain in you grow meduim 

How did the ak48 hold out? I find them to be fairly hardy ladies that can take a bit of rough handling. 

Hope you come right and stay on track for your dec harvest plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats sucks hope thy come right for you, I agree with checking ph of the run off and just ph adjusted water with maybe a little cal mag depending on your waters starting ec. The water here by me is is kak I you calimagic even on just plain water its helps release or absorb the remain in you grow meduim

How did the ak48 hold out? I find them to be fairly hardy ladies that can take a bit of rough handling.

Hope you come right and stay on track for your dec harvest plan.

Your AKs are currently the stars of the show buddy. In retrospect, I shoulda popped more of your beans.

IMG_20171028_181722.thumb.jpg.5c85a9292eb9bdafdc293166ac1976db.jpg

IMG_20171028_181741.thumb.jpg.006b6214af19651ccd1d240f3d0dc2d7.jpg

Guest shadowassasin

Know you keen on dec harvest but they do best on a good harvest itme 9 week min hope you will check the thrics and not rush for what ever reason

My AK48 from Nirvana are at exactly 9 weeks today. Looking at the trichromes: 80% have started turning milky and I have the odd amber one here and there - going to start flushing today so my total flowering time will be around 10 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sup Bros. Thanks for the input, guess I may eventually have to delay harvest by at least two weeks due to the stresses inflicted on the plants thus far, seems like the light shock turned plants to hermi, I'm suspecting that would be Males developed female characteristics, because out of 16 (regular) only 2 males 2 hermies, 12 females.. Unsurprisingly the pH and light stresses Kandy hermies...

My AK48 from Nirvana are at exactly 9 weeks today. Looking at the trichromes: 80% have started turning milky and I have the odd amber one here and there - going to start flushing today so my total flowering time will be around 10 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would appreciate a pic bro

Guest shadowassasin

Did the akhermie?

Nope. Just the KK and Sativa dominant cross. Did some super cropping this morning to get a level canopy, hope I didn't over stress the plants, again

Cool did you manage to get them sorted before some pollen got in the room?

• 2 weeks later...

Day 40 of Flower. Been doing some serious training so I'm expecting and extended flower period to around end Dec. Very impressed with Shadows Genetics  even the lower popcorn buds on the AK are fat and sticky, both plants are very similar in stature and bud formation, I'd say your cross is super stable. 

IMG_20171118_213239.thumb.jpg.5ec564b9a3459a347fd353bfb9644550.jpg

IMG_20171118_213202.thumb.jpg.facda7804e9d15fc99c69e1ca0d42887.jpg