Hello

SoilSamurai

Welcome @SoilSamurai

What kinda soil mix are you growing with?

Hey guys thanks for the welcome. I use the Korean natural framing method. I built my soils from scratch almost two years back and now I top dress, worm teas every week or so and inoculation with activated labs and em1s I have brewing on every water. I also dress once a week or so with my own kashi bran. The soil has not been tilled since the first planting and absolutely no fertilizers. Occasionally I will topdress with an amendments like kelp powder. Feed the soil.....peace

Pics. Holy Grail Kush day47/55. Mycelium matt0f618d6536a28c0e9cd806b65254f1b4.jpg5247169788f051dd14fb23336bcd78b0.jpg

Sent from my Vodacom Power Tab 10 using Tapatalk

I do use mycorrhizal. I add it to the roots with a teaspoon off glacial dust when transplanting

Where do you find glacial dust SS? I can only find basalt(turbo grow) here in SA

I actually found my last 5kg in a second hand shop but I will be importing again soon. I find most soil amendments are not available here so I make most and import a couple.

I actually found my last 5kg in a second hand shop but I will be importing again soon. I find most soil amendments are not available here so I make most and import a couple.

where do you source from abroad? That down to earth brand in the states has every amenment imaginable

where do you source from abroad? That down to earth brand in the states has every amenment imaginable

I source what I need when I do an order every 8-12 months. I have not imported glacial dust yet. I did bring in other soil amendments from the states though. Only problems I had in the past was with bat guano from South America otherwise it's pretty simple.

Hey there! I'm pretty excited to see the wisdom you have to share. I'm hopefully going to be trying out KNF (and beginning some 50 litre no-till pots) come next season, provided the landlord allows it. ;)

What type of aeration soil component do you use? I've been looking at pumice myself.

Hey there! I'm pretty excited to see the wisdom you have to share. I'm hopefully going to be trying out KNF (and beginning some 50 litre no-till pots) come next season, provided the landlord allows it. ;)

What type of aeration soil component do you use? I've been looking at pumice myself.

Where do you find pumice in SA though?

Where do you find pumice in SA though?

Some obsessive googling found this fish-keeping forum where they mention Mutimex, quoting R800 for 200 litres (excluding shipping): http://www.koi4u.co.za/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=23&id=45003&Itemid=278

Mutimex pumice page: http://www.mutimex.co.za/products/pumice_stones/

This was posted in 2014, however, so prices may have changed. I emailed Mutimex asking their prices and minimum order size, so I'll post back here or PM you if you are interested? I've since researched other possibilities but the usuals I've seen mentioned on other forums (lava rock, perlite) are nowhere to be found in large enough quantities or are just as expensive as the quoted pumice price from that forum. I've been investigating peanut shells because I know of at least three shops around my area that sell peanuts. The one I emailed said they buy their peanut already deshelled unfortunately. :( But I'll keep looking.

EDIT: Figured I'd put an update here concerning the peanut shells. The three shops all told me that they buy their nuts already de-shelled, and one of them informed me that they have multiple suppliers, all of which import nuts de-shelled. So peanut shell probably ain't an option in Cape Town...

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I use perlite  but only 30/70 in my no till setup. I also put 10% petemoss. It's worthwhile to set up a trading name for yourself so you can get access to the nursery supply groups. Nursery's have huge markups.

I will put up a soil recipe next couple days.....