Flowering in fresh super soil!

I’m looking for some advice on something I’ve never done before.

I’ve started some feminized Indicas indoors and plan on moving them outdoors to flower as electricity cost is too high for me to complete the grow indoors.So right now the plants are in 2 liter fabric bags with Orgasoilux super soil and will be transplanted to either 15 or 20 liter fabric bags and given supplemental lighting to extend the veg period by a week or so.

My question is this.Since I will be transplanting into a much bigger volume of fresh soil and flowering quite  soon afterwards,won’t the soil have too much Nitrogen for flowering?The reason I ask this is because much of the available N will not have been ‘used up’ by the time flowering is initiated.I should add that this soil has been sitting unused in the bags since my last outdoor grow 15 months  ago so nutrients have probably broken down nicely by now. Maybe  I’m overthinking this I don’t know!

Edited by Trichome
Add info
  • Like 1

Depending on the age and stage of the plants in the 2lt bags. If in veg, transplant, give them 2 weeks, then go outdoor. Light hours on the north coast around 13hrs now. If you veg 16/8 or 14/10 technically they should flip to flower as soon as they go outside. I'd go minimum 20lt, the plants will use some of the available N during veg in the new bags, but plants need N throughout, just in different amounts.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 3:33 PM, Bos said:

Depending on the age and stage of the plants in the 2lt bags. If in veg, transplant, give them 2 weeks, then go outdoor. Light hours on the north coast around 13hrs now. If you veg 16/8 or 14/10 technically they should flip to flower as soon as they go outside. I'd go minimum 20lt, the plants will use some of the available N during veg in the new bags, but plants need N throughout, just in different amounts.

Thanks yeah that’s more or less what I figured! Main thing is I just don’t want too much N available in flower.

I read about growers transplanting into fresh soil the same as they used for veg and never reported issues but being a synthetic fert guy myself except for two organic soil grows usually I would avoid too much N in flower like the plague especially since this soil I’m guessing is designed fir a fairly lengthy veg time and then flowering with some amendments .Guess I don’t have much choice anyway as I don’t want to go the liquid fert route with this grow unless it’s to correct a deficiency! Appreciate the input!

1 hour ago, Trichome said:

Thanks yeah that’s more or less what I figured! Main thing is I just don’t want too much N available in flower.

I read about growers transplanting into fresh soil the same as they used for veg and never reported issues but being a synthetic fert guy myself except for two organic soil grows usually I would avoid too much N in flower like the plague especially since this soil I’m guessing is designed fir a fairly lengthy veg time and then flowering with some amendments .Guess I don’t have much choice anyway as I don’t want to go the liquid fert route with this grow unless it’s to correct a deficiency! Appreciate the input!

You could thin the mix out with coco and perlite to reduce the high N initially, but chances are good that you'll conversly have to supplement P, K and possibly micros during flower depending on your soil formulation. It's up to you.

• Like 2