First Timer - Outdoor Grow.

Bluntman

Hey all,

My first grow and want do it as best as possible so been doing tons of research and chatting to peeps who know what they're doing so I'm happy with how they're growing and how the whole process has been so far. They are like kids - Check on them first thing in the morning and last thing before sun down. Love spending time tending to them and getting them to be the best they can be. Steep learning curve but really these plants are amazing. Learn something new about them every day!

All started from seed in jiffy peat pellets.

I kept all seeds from each batch of good weed I bought - Started with 24 and slowly threw out the weakest or non starters until down to my 15 best seedlings to take through the full grow. Still need to go through the process of determining sex by cloning and forcing flower with 12/12 but only gonna clone in around a week or so, so should know by beginning of November which to kill off and just keep my ladies.

• The strains of cannabis growing: Various

• Are you growing indoors or outdoors: Propagated from seed indoors under CFL's for three weeks, hardened off for just over a week and then outside full time for full season of outdoor grow.

• The Grow Space: Propagated seedlings in cupboard with 8 CFL's and oscillating fan

• What medium you growing in: ProMix 50/50 soiless

• What nutrients and supplements you will be using for your grow: Nutriplex Grow, Bloom and Micro

• What lighting you will be using if growing indoors: CFL's

• All the other equipment you will be using if you feel it is worthy of mentioning: PH Tester

• What is the age of your plants: 5 weeks old today - Monday 06 October 2014

• What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in: Veg

• How often are you feeding: Generally a 3 day cycle - Water one day, nothing the next and Nutes on third day... This does change slightly depending how light my pots feel as per plants consumption...

• What is the pH of the water being used: Between 6 and 6.3

I was worried that they may be a bit small for 5 weeks but after researching and chatting to some peeps, they seem to be healthy and growing so I'm not worrying too much... Let me know what you all think as always listen to advice, there's no way one can know it all on the first go  :poke

Anything else, feel free to ask or comment!

photo_10.JPG.06ea79be6b08ec592f77b0df9223f31a.JPG

photo_11.jpg.c1c0eeaedce6aaa5c5f59597494a48d5.jpg

photo_8.JPG.b867cf56df44102b406086210c51eb5a.JPG

photo_7.JPG.34be492dd1422de75e7b7fa54d5a4d96.JPG

photo_6.JPG.714ad3f4be6f851258cc2795df90144c.JPG

photo_11.JPG.b6fadc4980ca7668bef384073c6c2d16.JPG

photo_21.JPG.4220ef0958fa7235876911502aa5e63c.JPG

photo_41.JPG.fd67e68e49b31e25309ae7cb2c71986b.JPG

photo_51.JPG.f9be4936e4d81d288b52a126c9ad1a72.JPG

photo_1.JPG.1007d020c49e53ddb4bd97b78632e28a.JPG

photo_2.JPG.a2db3f961148f865805ad5b7e000152a.JPG

photo_3.JPG.306431492f0823c4bb11db8946447282.JPG

photo_4.JPG.54ace90aa206134be3934524b05f945f.JPG

photo_5.JPG.f1077dbfdf7f9c35a8ad9c49c0a4f6e9.JPG

Looks like you did all your research Bluntman (be positive dont jinx) all your ladies looking good lol i tried alot of different outdoor methods over the years that worked for me eg. Double bucket method, 2litre bottle tops under the pot rotating everyday for diamond shape budds i even tried puting for sticks in the ground in a square shape around my tree but nicely spaced than shrink wraping around the sticks to give a greenhouse effect but obviously leaving vents inbetween the wrap for circulation.

When growing alot of trees specially of the same strain always nice to experiment

Keep up the good work!!!

Blessed yall

Keep a look out for them hermies. Do you have the space to grow them all out if most of them turn out female? There is another 4 months of solid veg left, and if you aren't going to confine the roots you could end up with monsters. Monsters that smell! :-puffin

Thanks Totemic, will do... Yeah, to be honest, I was expecting most of them to be male and possibly some hermies, that's why I germed so many, to give myself best chance possible of some ladies. But I have a feeling there are a fair few ladies in the bunch. I do have the space for them to grow out fortunately, but still gonna have to do a bit of work to keep them out of site and smell  :-[... I'll explain the rest in my reply to CaptainCrunchy below...

Very nice for a first grow! Three or four months from now, even with the size of your pots some of those potential girls are gonna be biiiggg! Any nosy neighbors? You have reason to exited though :) Smoke!

Thanks CaptainCrunchy. I hope I can keep them all growing strong and healthy so I can finally get to smoke my own hard work  :-puffin Problem is if a few of them turn out to be females, I'm going to have way too much to smoke and will need to find a way to store it :o

No nosey neighbours really. The courtyard that they are currently in backs onto the side of my neighbours house and they don't go down that side much, but I'm sure they will smell and see when they start getting big... So the plan is to replant into their final pots in a week or two so they are mobile in case they need to be moved out of sight - There are many spots to hide them, behind bushes etc... They can be also be moved around the garden for maximum sunlight...

I think in a few months I'd like to pull up a chair and hang out with ya. If they are all females it should be a site to drown all sorrows. Good luck- inspect regularly for goggas and be diligent. You'll reap the rewards with oodles to spare :) puff :)

Sounds like a plan Broseph... We'll have to christen the harvest and do quality assurance of course ;D We can lose a couple of hours.... Maybe days... :-puffpass:-stoned

Thanks for the tips, I agree diligence is definitely key... I must stay the path and not get impatient and complacent...Thats the new morning mantra from now on, it sounds official... Hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Repotted all my plants this past Sunday into their final pots. They were definitely ready for the upgraded real estate as by Monday morning they had all grown around an inch or more and their leaves and branches we're spread out nice and wide. Still blows my mind how quickly they adapt and grow.

This morning I went out first thing to feed and water for the first time since just watering after transplanting on Sunday and I noticed loads of balls on a few of the plants, I had to rush to get to work so it played on my mind all day that I was certain they were showing sex and they were males - But I wasn't expecting them to show sex for quite a while yet!! I sent a few pics to someone with experience and they said def males.

So this eve I rushed home to separate the balls out males as didn't want them to have any chance of pollinating my girls... After checking numerous forums etc it's 100% confirmed they're males or hermies and I reckon I got them away from the females in plenty of time. I had also just bought a cloning kit on Monday to clone for sex and looks like I don't have to go through that mission until I'm ready to clone for bud which is a bonus.

So my herb family has gone from 15 to 7 which is around 50/50 and on par with what most info says... That on average around 50% of seed planted will be male and 50% female give or take.

I must say I was a little bummed when I first found the males/hermies as Ive put so much time and care into getting them to this stage, but it's easier to manage with less of them and easier to keep it a bit private. I was starting to worry how I was going to manage if they were all or mostly females :o So yeah, now I can concentrate on just my ladies without having to waste time, energy and money on male plants.

Some pics below. Repotted and this morning finding the balls.

I'll update with pics of my 7 females, probably tomorrow. Got a nice varied strain selection and should hopefully get a decent yield out of the remaining 7... :-stoned

image.jpg.8521863d68bf07e0c3703c4ee148d82c.jpg

image.jpg.20c7e9901d4dcb333e320f3f03227335.jpg

image.jpg.96e148e98cc015a7e9c45c421c9b9229.jpg

image.jpg.cd41489d02e3141a255964e7cf0f5547.jpg

image.jpg.1ce47ac45abb717d67cbd9cd0c716c44.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.750d8a0ea8cd3f00f04ab5fe6d2e5f9a.jpg

Thanks Totemic. Yeah, aware that they will go back into Veg which is obviously what I want as they need to go the full season. Just glad they showed me their sex without too much hassle of having to clone for sex.

I am def worried about them getting root bound so you reckon I'm gonna need much bigger pots!? How big 'cos I thought these would be big enough and now I'm agreed they probably won't be! Getting root bound is obviously not good right? Will affect bud and overall health of the plants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Totemic. Yeah, aware that they will go back into Veg which is obviously what I want as they need to go the full season. Just glad they showed me their sex without too much hassle of having to clone for sex.

I am def worried about them getting root bound so you reckon I'm gonna need much bigger pots!? How big 'cos I thought these would be big enough and now I'm agreed they probably won't be! Getting root bound is obviously not good right? Will affect bud and overall health of the plants?

Yeah it does save on cloning to sex, but it does set your ladies back a bit, as the hormonal changes in the plant take weeks to shift from the one side to the other.

Outdoors, the bigger the pots the better.

When Cannabis is planted into the ground, a huge tap root drives down to anchor and support the plant, while the feeder roots usually only occupy the upper 30 cm of soil, and spread out laterally. This is what the plant wants to do genetically.

So when you plant in a container, your cannabis plant is going to want to grow out its roots exactly the same, except the tap root smashes into the bottom of a usually small starter container, and forces all focus to the feeder roots, which in turn hit the walls. and and and...you get the idea.

A good general rule of thumb when planting in containers is to allow 4l per month you intend to keep the plant alive, and double that for outdoor.

So for example if I am going to do a 4 month indoor grow, anything less than 16l will cause issues, but I go 25l to be sure.

Outdoors, I use 65l pots, and I only plant my seeds in November. But then I don't want such huge plants.

I'm just bantering on here, but I hope some of it helps.

:-peace

Thanks for the info Totemic. Much appreciated.

I think I did jump the gun a bit on planting this year so next grow will be much different in many ways.

My ladies seem to be showing a lot less than the males so I hope they haven't been upset too much.

65l pots!!! Holy crap that's big. Need to go shopping. No doubt they are also pricey!

Don't feel bad at all for jumping the gun. It takes a few years to really get a annual calendar planned and working smoothly, and even then life is going to happen.

Remember to grow the way you want to grow. 65l pots work for me, but it isn't a rule hey.

The important thing I think is to enjoy the journey while growing. Even embrace the slight flops that come along from time to time.  :-puffin

Totally agree with Tote there! Certainly gonna need bigger pots. Especially when you're growing in coco. I recently harvested a relatively short plant, about 50cm high, that was grown in a 20l pot and the roots filled that 20l pot extensively!! Very large build up of roots on the bottom too. Might be able to provide a pic for you

Totally agree with Tote there! Certainly gonna need bigger pots. Especially when you're growing in coco. I recently harvested a relatively short plant, about 50cm high, that was grown in a 20l pot and the roots filled that 20l pot extensively!! Very large build up of roots on the bottom too. Might be able to provide a pic for you

Yeah, definitely going to transplant in a week or two once they've settled a bit. Gonna get a big pot or sack if I can find.

• 3 weeks later...

Bluntman you got some update pics for us?

I suck at outdoor timing, i always put mine out too early and they dont go back to revegging.

Hey 4207365. I think I've made the same mistake dude. I'm happy with the way they are growing, but they seem to be flowering and not reverting to veg or vegging at all. They smell great (bubblegum is crazy), have dense buds for their size and leaves are stacked nice and close together - Well on the two Bubblegum. The Blueberry is the tallest and also has nice buds. My Guerillas Gusto however is really thin and spindley. Hasn't developed well at all but keeping it going anyway. Pics attached to give you an idea.

I've also got one growing in a cupboard on a 12/12 to see how it goes - Aurora Indica. Also growing well and nice buds. Hopefully can harvest by end of December.

All plants aren't growing as tall/wide as I would have expected. Some grows I've seen on here are bigger than mine at 6 weeks. Suppose it all depends how it was grown.

I germinated inside for 3 weeks. Hardened off for 1 and then had them outside full time till present. Planted seeds on the 1st of September. Repotted twice and gonna repot into final large pots in Dec/Jan.

image.jpg.d07b4209ce556a11d9444f4a8e97e157.jpg

image.jpg.4c823e59d42ccdce50d813ba5b637381.jpg

image.jpg.bec75f57bd60916482bc387ac608514c.jpg

image.jpg.412403e24cbe4c0c5f297981dfa2db68.jpg

Bummer. Those ladies are extremely committed to flowering, and will probably not reveg. They are looking good though.

I wouldn't bother re potting the flowering girls end Dec, as they will be just about done.

I find what works well when I plant an Indica dominant seed: I soak seeds in the last week of September, and have them break the soil outdoor in October in the shade. Move them to pretty much full sun from week 2.

:-peace