Coco coir and Cal Mag.....

Furbrain

Hi folks,

Seedling stage.

I am going to use Coco coir that has been pre buffered by the makers. Do I need to use any Cal Mag?. Also, my understanding is that I start giving weak nutrients after about 4-5 days after birth????.

Any thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated.

I've got 2 'trial' seedlings on the go at the moment but there is something wrong!. Looks like a classic case of overwatering however I thought Coco coir would handle pretty much any amount by way of run off?. They are a week old!. 

To summarize; Do I need Cal Mag and when do I start with nutrients with seedlings in Coco?. What you see are seeds I'm preparing for an outdoor grow.IMG_20221018_133747.thumb.jpg.4974920a59fe6499582e36f30b085d3d.jpgIMG_20221018_133817.thumb.jpg.3c0582fb2edb6ec6d27548e3c03d5f3c.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ORGANinc. said:

Yes you can start feeding them, I wouldnt add any calmag just yet, but some veg nutes. and only when the cup is super dry. do a 1/4 dose, really they don't need more. 

and once youve made 1/4 strength nutes water 5% of the cups volume with it. 

Many thanks for the information, just what I needed 👍.

'Life is an experiment' 😊. Will update as and when.

• Like 1

So I only start giving calmag for the coco coir about 3/4 weeks after I start feeding nutrients, After that I typically I use 1/4 (hard water) or  1/3 (soft water) the recommended calmag dosage on the bottle once a week, just to keep the coco coir buffered.

Then obviously when you want to actually feed your plant calmag, you just up the calmag dosage.

Edited by DesignatedDave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2022 at 9:07 AM, ORGANinc. said:

Yes you can start feeding them, I wouldnt add any calmag just yet, but some veg nutes. and only when the cup is super dry. do a 1/4 dose, really they don't need more. 

and once youve made 1/4 strength nutes water 5% of the cups volume with it. 

I now have 3 new seedlings!. 2@3days old and 1@2days. I made sure the Coco was nice and moist when I planted them and haven't watered since!. The cups are light ish but the coir is still moist.

I am now entering my twilight zone!. This is when I seem to fk up😫!. Scared shirtless of when to water next?. I've used clean 7 ph water up to this point. When you say 'super dry' would that be also for my new girls,....... ?.

When do think I should water them and with what? ie; just plain 7 ph for now or + diluted nutes @ 6.3ph?. 

I'm sorry for the questions but do need some guidance regarding feeding frequency of seedlings. I've drowned so many now already...... it's sad!.

Have a lekker weekend.IMG_20221021_164650.thumb.jpg.5d17426e440cd450f908649a7d271fcc.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/21/2022 at 5:23 PM, Furbrain said:

I now have 3 new seedlings!. 2@3days old and 1@2days. I made sure the Coco was nice and moist when I planted them and haven't watered since!. The cups are light ish but the coir is still moist.

I am now entering my twilight zone!. This is when I seem to fk up😫!. Scared shirtless of when to water next?. I've used clean 7 ph water up to this point. When you say 'super dry' would that be also for my new girls,....... ?.

When do think I should water them and with what? ie; just plain 7 ph for now or + diluted nutes @ 6.3ph?. 

I'm sorry for the questions but do need some guidance regarding feeding frequency of seedlings. I've drowned so many now already...... it's sad!.

Have a lekker weekend.IMG_20221021_164650.thumb.jpg.5d17426e440cd450f908649a7d271fcc.jpg

The cups still look ok the moist side, I would leave them for another 2/3 days, try remove some soil from that overflowing cup, that will make problems, they should be At the level of the first cup in the pic 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ORGANinc. said:

The cups still look ok the moist side, I would leave them for another 2/3 days, try remove some soil from that overflowing cup, that will make problems, they should be At the level of the first cup in the pic 👍🏻

Thankyou for this much needed advise.

I have been giving 20mls of 6.2ph 440 EC once a day!.

Before feeding yesterday I noticed the leaves were becoming 'pale' and a lighter green!. This morning the colour seems much better!. I'm still nervous about giving too much feed however this morning I  notice one of my girls 'praying' (photo). Last feed was 12 hrs ago........so I'm wondering if I should feed again?.

Anyhow, I do appreciate the terrific input and will update in a few days.

10 Days old.

IMG_20221028_083742.thumb.jpg.e21ab96b9ddd9bbc5d3968248ff11cfc.jpgIMG_20221028_083754.thumb.jpg.d1cd07f6216e0b262cb0536bdf0c129f.jpgIMG_20221028_083732.thumb.jpg.1bc5b9435fbcf895d036a48681a531e4.jpg

• Like 1