Need advice on a DIY Grow Tent

420SA

Hi all

I'm in the process of planning to build my own grow tent.  ;D Planned size is 120cm(Width) x 160cm(Height) x 120cm(Depth) . I want to fit at least 4 plants in there.

First I considered building a grow cabinet but that will be too pricey. So I found out about building a grow tent with PVC piping as the frame as it can work out a lot cheaper than wood or steel.

I've already planned out the frame and worked out the cost. My only concern is the actual material to wrap the tent with. Overseas they use something called "Panda Film" and you don't get that here in SA so does anybody know of any decent, possible and mostly affordable alternatives? It must be lightproof but doesn't have to be reflective as I will line it with sisalation anyway.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

:-peace

I just love a DIY project.  :-rolled

I too have considered a home made tent, and even tried sourcing the D600 material the commercial tents are made of, and in the end buying a commercially made tent always works out the cheapest in the end.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not discouraging you, and would love to see a good DIY on the subject. As far as the plastic is concerned, I'm sure I've seen the black/white plastic at hortishop. I would assume you would need to get hold of stick on zippers for doors etc as well.

Please post up picks as the build progresses.  :-puffin

:-peace

I will most definitely do that ;D but that'll probably be towards the end of the year.

I just checked up on that black/white poly film that Hortishop sells and I've worked out the rough total cost of everything based on the size that I wanna make the tent

50mm PVC Piping frame including connections (Builders Warehouse) - R505-00

Black/White Poly Film - R220-00

That makes a total of R725-00 which is not too bad...seeing as commercial tents go for over a grand for that size.

Not sure about the pricee of the zippers but I'm sure they won't be too much. Else I'll just use velcro (know of a cheap supplier)

For now I'll be saving up and then I'll definitely post up the pics when I get the project going :-stoned

Was in Makro today and spotted this tent that is almost exactly the size that I want to make my tent :-puffin

It's meant to be a camping shower but doubles as a pretty decent grow tent IMO. It's pretty dam sturdy and supports quite a lot of weight at the top, definitely the weight of my reflector.

Let me know your guys thoughts on using this as a grow tent. It's 700 bucks....not bad...

Either I paint the interior white or I line it with Mylar or sisalation...

20140930_143816_zpsa1b645b7.jpg

20140930_143422_zpsc6fbc57e.jpg

Hey Bud

Ok so the size is good... but.... does it have ventilation holes? and are you happy to trust it to hold up your reflectors/ fans etc?

I mean I would try it just to see, who knows you might have just found the perfect DIY tent.

Another thing.. is it light proof?

Hey Bud

Ok so the size is good... but.... does it have ventilation holes? and are you happy to trust it to hold up your reflectors/ fans etc?

I mean I would try it just to see, who knows you might have just found the perfect DIY tent.

Another thing.. is it light proof?

It has vents but those large zip up one's. My thoughts are to make my own. The bottom isn't sealed because its a shower. There's mesh material at the bottom but I reckon I could seal that.

I tested the strength at the top by pulling on it and it feels strong enough to me. I mean it's designed to hold buckets of water at the top.

The material doesn't look fully lightproof to me so I may need to line the inside with something, like paint, not too sure.

My honest opinion...add R500 and buy the 80 x 80 x 160 tent from Greenthumb Hydro.  I have two (1 for flower...1 for veg) and cannot begin to even rave about the tents or as a matter of fact anything you get from GTHydro

How many plants can you fit in there and in what size pots?