Multi-compartment/2-in-1/combo/perpetual grow tents

stinky

Hello 420SA!

I am wondering how many community members have actual experience (past or present) with 2-in-1 tents like these : https://vivosun.com/products/vivosun-2-in-1-48-x36-x72-mylar-reflective-grow-tent-for-indoor-hydroponic-growing-system

I am aware that Secret Jardin have two different sized "Lodge" series tents which are available locally.

So if you use, have used or have considered using one of these types of tent :

• Why do use, not use or no longer use a 2-in-1 ? (major pros/cons in your setup)

And if you currently do use one :

• Local or international supplier ?
  • Price ?
  • Quality ?
  • Any comments ?

Thank you.

Edited by stinky
Errors in original post
  • Like 1

So my thing with those tents is that I do not feel it suits my needs properly. I feel the way the space is divided is a bit of a waste.

It does not allow for me to do a perpetual grow, the veg area is more of a seedling area and cannabis seedlings do not stay small for very long.

I'd rather have a dedicated veg tent and keep the seedlings as well as vegging plants inside there and then have a separate tent for flowering.

Having one of those tents, if I started plants in the smaller area, I'd likely have to move them to the larger area and veg them there for a while longer before I could flip to flower. Therefore I feel it is a waste and ruins the appeal to having a split tent.

If the smaller section could allow for one to veg plants until they were large enough to go into the flower section and had enough space to be able to fill the flower secton from the veg section - then sure. It would in essence be like having 2 separate tents, in a single tent.

However... they are once again separate. So double the lights, double the extraction (unless you use a Y-connector I guess) and so forth. End of the day it comes down to a single larger tent which is split vs two separate tents. Much of a muchness, just the two separate tents offer more flexibility. However the single larger is likely going to be cheaper... but I have yet to find a split tent where the veg and flower area are the same size or large enough to justify using it for a perpetual.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

So my thing with those tents is that I do not feel it suits my needs properly. I feel the way the space is divided is a bit of a waste.

It does not allow for me to do a perpetual grow, the veg area is more of a seedling area and cannabis seedlings do not stay small for very long.

I'd rather have a dedicated veg tent and keep the seedlings as well as vegging plants inside there and then have a separate tent for flowering.

Having one of those tents, if I started plants in the smaller area, I'd likely have to move them to the larger area and veg them there for a while longer before I could flip to flower. Therefore I feel it is a waste and ruins the appeal to having a split tent.

If the smaller section could allow for one to veg plants until they were large enough to go into the flower section and had enough space to be able to fill the flower secton from the veg section - then sure. It would in essence be like having 2 separate tents, in a single tent.

However... they are once again separate. So double the lights, double the extraction (unless you use a Y-connector I guess) and so forth. End of the day it comes down to a single larger tent which is split vs two separate tents. Much of a muchness, just the two separate tents offer more flexibility. However the single larger is likely going to be cheaper... but I have yet to find a split tent where the veg and flower area are the same size or large enough to justify using it for a perpetual.

image.png

Thanks for the reply @PsyCLown .

If I understand you correctly the main issue for you was the partitioning has been insufficient to fully support a perpetual ?

Could I ask what tent brand and size you used ?

Only option I would use such a tent is as cloning production. mothers in the big part, fresh clones in the small part, till they go in the grow tent ^^ but I wouldn't use it to raise them due to different plant stage and size. looks nasty to keep a good ventilation going in the small part with the setup in your picture. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, stinky said:

Thanks for the reply @PsyCLown .

If I understand you correctly the main issue for you was the partitioning has been insufficient to fully support a perpetual ?

Could I ask what tent brand and size you used ?

I haven't purchased one of those tents. 

I have owned Secret Jardin tents, Mammoth tent and plan on purchasing a Bud Box tent... Oh, I also had a cheapy chinese tent which was used for drying.

Vivosun wouldn't be on my list of tents to own to be honest. I'd rather spend a bit more and buy a different brand of tent.

Just now, PsyCLown said:

I haven't purchased one of those tents. 

Okay. Got you.

2 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

You found the choice of sizes and chamber split too limiting for your purposes.

I think also the orientation of the chambers could be limiting ie. maybe more helpful to have veg chambers on the left instead of right for some users.

Just now, PsyCLown said:

Vivosun wouldn't be on my list of tents to own to be honest. I'd rather spend a bit more and buy a different brand of tent.

Nor mine. Just used that link for illustrative purposes.

I have only seen Secret Jardin 2-in-1 tents locally.  No other trusted name brands - although I understand you are advising two separate tents.

• 4 weeks later...

So I actually bought one of these tents last year. I looked and looked and this ended up being the best option for me.

Mine is a 90x90 area by 180 I think. And then the partition is 90x30x180. What I really liked about this, is that my light flowers a 80x80 section. I took the divider, and only blocked off the top shelf of the "seedling" section. In the bottom half, I have my fans, humidifier etc. This means that I have the FULL 90x90 area for plants. 

Before I was running in a 80x90 DIY which still had to house my fan, heater, humidifier etc. so I lost out on grow space.

Then literally this week, I have been light proofing the seedling section, as the lighting is not perfect with the velcro seals, and obviously with how I ran the divider half way. I installed some small lights and my bathroom extractor from my last tent. My hope is to just shave off 4-8 (probably more like 4 because as mentioned the plants can't get too big in there) weeks. Just to reduce the time between harvests.

So for those 2 purposes it really made sense to me. This is the one I got: https://happyharvest.co.za/product/multi-chamber-grow-tent/

I will take a pic later of the set-up once lights are on.

• Like 1

Hi @Live Canna and thanks for replying!

23 hours ago, Live Canna said:

I took the divider, and only blocked off the top shelf of the "seedling" section. In the bottom half, I have my fans, humidifier etc. This means that I have the FULL 90x90 area for plants. 

Waiting to see the picture, but from what I understand, you are using the top right veg  chamber for seedlings/clones and you use the bottom right veg chamber for your equipment ?

• Is the divider fully removable (allowing use of the whole 120x90 space) ?
  • Can one isolate the bottom right veg chamber instead of the top right veg chamber ?
23 hours ago, Live Canna said:

My hope is to just shave off 4-8 (probably more like 4 because as mentioned the plants can't get too big in there) weeks. Just to reduce the time between harvests.

Sounds like you will be raising seedlings/clones in the right veg chamber and then flowering them after minimal veg time for a sea of green (SOG) style grow ?

• If this is the case, what size of container will you be flowering in ?
  • Will you be introducing new seedlings/clones into flower periodically for perpetual grow  ?
  • Will you be keeping mother plants ?
  • Can you give us any other details of your proposed setup for this tent ? (hydro/soiless/soil, lights, nutes etc.)

Thanks.

-Stinky

3 hours ago, stinky said:

Hi @Live Canna and thanks for replying!

Waiting to see the picture, but from what I understand, you are using the top right veg  chamber for seedlings/clones and you use the bottom right veg chamber for your equipment ?

• Is the divider fully removable (allowing use of the whole 120x90 space) ?
  • Can one isolate the bottom right veg chamber instead of the top right veg chamber ?

Sounds like you will be raising seedlings/clones in the right veg chamber and then flowering them after minimal veg time for a sea of green (SOG) style grow ?

• If this is the case, what size of container will you be flowering in ?
  • Will you be introducing new seedlings/clones into flower periodically for perpetual grow  ?
  • Will you be keeping mother plants ?
  • Can you give us any other details of your proposed setup for this tent ? (hydro/soiless/soil, lights, nutes etc.)

Thanks.

-Stinky

Hey Hey, sorry forgot about the pictures last night 🤣 I have attached. Questions answered below:

• Yes, top right veg, bottom right equipment. I haven't
  • Yes, the divider is fully removable. It attached with a stronger than normal velcro (on mine at least) to hold it up). Its not meant to be used how I am using it, but I made a plan.
  • Sure. You would just need to reverse what I did
  • Still playing with it. I just set it up last week and haven't run anything yet. I think I could probably only get 2 full size (veg) plants in there, or 4 smaller ones. So my inital attempt will be to just cut out 4 weeks of veg (from seed to 4 weeks) in the veg section, then move them to the flower section and continue veg for another month, then flip to flower. This way I shave off a month hopefully. I do need to get a better light in the veg area, but I am playing with that still.
  • I usually start seedlings in a jiffy pellet, then to a solo cup (you get the red american style ones at some tops spars and other places), then a small pot, I think its a 2l litre, then 20l fabric. Sometimes for photo's like my big WW that is currently running I still did another transplant to a 40 litre. This is because she came as a clone.
  • Trying to basically do a small perpetual grow yeah.
  • No mothers yet, not enough space for that. Ideally the end goal would be a whole other tent, a mother and veg area in there.
  • Soil is FF (green bag), BioBizz nutes, Ph'd water even though I am growing 'Organically', Light is a phoenix sky 200 that puts out 240w. Using compost teas also and thats pretty much it. I like to do some auto's also, and usually try time it with my others. So like in this tent now, I have a Critical Auto which is 1-2 weeks from done. Rock hard nugs so far which is great as it is my first grow with this light, a GG4 which has caught up to the WW clone. If you get it right you can often manipulate the plants and grow to sync there timing. I will attach an image of nov or dec where you can see how small the GG4 was and how big the WW. But with some simple things I managed to get them both to a good size and ready to flip together.

Oh and then I run an automated wifi switch system to control everything.

In the pics you will see the shelf and division. In the pic with all the plants, the auto is bottom left, GG4 bottom right, and WW at the back. And I also added the pics from way back where I started this grow with the auto and WW. With it empty you can see better.

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 12.14.22.png

IMG_1887.jpeg

IMG_1896.jpeg

IMG_1897.jpeg

IMG_1895.jpeg

IMG_1894.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1891.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpeg

IMG_1889.jpeg

IMG_1888.jpeg

IMG_9656.jpeg

IMG_9661.jpeg

IMG_9657.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback and all the pictures @Live Canna .

Nice that it works for your parameters.

Just noticed that Mars Hydro now also has 3 :-clap different sized multi-chamber tents.

• https://aeradix.co.za/product/mars-multi-chamber-grow-tent-90x60x140/
  • https://aeradix.co.za/product/mars-multi-chamber-grow-tent-120x90x180/
  • https://aeradix.co.za/product/mars-multi-chamber-grow-tent-150x120x200/

Pricing in an around the Secret Jardin Lodge tents. (Was thinking it would be more competitive)

Yours was a lot cheaper - half price - than the equivalent name brands @Live Canna .

• Are you satisfied with the overall build quality and materials used ?
  • Would you say the zips and poles are robust and the fabric strong ?

Thanks.

-Stinky

On 1/18/2021 at 9:21 AM, stinky said:

Thanks for the feedback and all the pictures @Live Canna .

Nice that it works for your parameters.

Just noticed that Mars Hydro now also has 3 :-clap different sized multi-chamber tents.

Pricing in an around the Secret Jardin Lodge tents. (Was thinking it would be more competitive)

Yours was a lot cheaper - half price - than the equivalent name brands @Live Canna .

• Are you satisfied with the overall build quality and materials used ?
  • Would you say the zips and poles are robust and the fabric strong ?

Thanks.

-Stinky

No stress bud, happy to help.

I am satisfied with the overall build and quality. But I have seen there are a few like mine around, so you may get one from another supplier, not 100% sure.

Everything looks robust and string, and I personally would not spend the extra on the Mars, unless you have cash lying around. Is this one as good as the Mars, most likely not. But I can see it lasting a good while. Depends how you use it thought too. I only open the tent once maybe twice a day. So if you are zipping all the time, it will last a shorter period of course. Usually the zips are the first to go on a tent.