A few first grow questions

Orcanic

Howzit everyone, I'm starting my first grow this week and just have a few simple questions.

I have 3 of these https://www.cannabist.co.za/cannabis-seeds/strawberry-banana-cheese-feminised/?mc_cid=da921550bb and just going to plant 1 seed for now. I have a 36cm pot and some soil but I've been reading that it's better to start in something smaller? Would a cut plastic bottle with some holes at the bottom be fine for the beginning?

I'm doing them in a spare cupboard, about 50cm x 50cm x 300cm. I have an MH bulb and a timer too, but my original plan was to grow outside before being convinced not to :P

I'm going to start germinating tonight, so far what looks like the best method to me is putting it in water for 24 hours then putting in moist paper towels in a zip lock bag for a few days. If anyone thinks there's a better method for me to use please let me know.

Here's a list of what I have to work with (a lot of this stuff was given to me by a buddy of mine so not entirely sure what it's all for just yet haha)

• Strawberry Banana Cheese Feminised seeds
  • Nitrosol
  • Organic fertiliser
  • 85W 6400k Fluorescent CFL
  • Liquid PH Up & Down
  • PH testing kit
  • Analogue timer
  • 46cm pot
  • Potting soil (pics attached)
  • Soil and room temp thermometers

TLDR:

Basically what I'm asking is:

* Is this germination method okay?: Putting it in water for 24 hours then putting in moist paper towels in a zip lock bag for a few days.

* Is my pot too big for these seeds right now? If so can I use a cut plastic bottle?

* Is my medium okay?

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-10 at 14.42.46.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-10 at 14.42.45.jpeg

Edited by EthWal
  • Like 2

What's up man, welcome. 

What wattage is the MH bulb? And is it complete? 

Meduim looks fine and so is the nitrisol for feeding. 

Your germination method is standard practice and should work fine for you. Plant into the meduim when the taproot is about 1cm long at a depth of just a few mm. Water once with a cup or less of water and you should see leaves in a few days... Repeat... Do not water again for like a week

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CreX said:

What's up man, welcome. 

What wattage is the MH bulb? And is it complete? 

Meduim looks fine and so is the nitrisol for feeding. 

Your germination method is standard practice and should work fine for you. Plant into the meduim when the taproot is about 1cm long at a depth of just a few mm. Water once with a cup or less of water and you should see leaves in a few days... Repeat... Do not water again for like a week

Hey man, thanks so much.

This morning that my tap root has come out a little, pic below :)

It's an 85W bulb. I actually managed to find a grow tent on FB marketplace for 500 bucks, so I'll pick that up sometime this week.

Someone convinced me to get another medium instead, was thinking those freedom farms ones? I'm ordering some goodies from hydroponic.co.za today anyway

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-12 at 08.09.59.jpeg

• Like 2

Yea man nice! If you can get a bag of freedom farms you will be happy. 

What other goodies you thinking of of getting? 

What size is the tent you bought? 

That 85w CFL only has one singular use... And that's to light up someone's lounge lol. I don't want to frighten you. But you are going to need better lighting. 

I would even say, scrap the tent for now and put that money towards a better light. I have a few lights I would recommend... But they are just to get you going and will not suffice for flower. Definitely not that 85cfl...you will be very disappointed in the final product. 

Check out the lighting section in the forum and see what the guys are using. 

Mostly high powered LED lights, but also HID lighting. 

What is your rough budget and what are you aiming to achieve at the end of your grow? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreX said:

Yea man nice! If you can get a bag of freedom farms you will be happy. 

What other goodies you thinking of of getting? 

What size is the tent you bought? 

That 85w CFL only has one singular use... And that's to light up someone's lounge lol. I don't want to frighten you. But you are going to need better lighting. 

I would even say, scrap the tent for now and put that money towards a better light. I have a few lights I would recommend... But they are just to get you going and will not suffice for flower. Definitely not that 85cfl...you will be very disappointed in the final product. 

Check out the lighting section in the forum and see what the guys are using. 

Mostly high powered LED lights, but also HID lighting. 

What is your rough budget and what are you aiming to achieve at the end of your grow? 

Really? Damn. What bulb(s) would you recommend for the beginning? I was hoping to get the flowering stage stuff at the end of the month after pay day haha. I would have thought it would be fine since that thing is huge. I only have a few hundred bucks left to spend on this, probably around R300-400, R500 max for this stage's light.

I'm just starting this as a hobby right now, but I'm hoping to really get into all of the technicalities after my first or second successful grow.

The tent I bought is 80 x 80 x 160cm

This is a list of stuff I have right now:

• Hygrometer
  • TDS / PPM / EC Meter
  • Analogue timer plug
  • My crappy bulb (pics attached, see the battery for scale haha)
  • Polystyrene cups to start my grow, then a 36cm pot to transplant
  • Freedom farms soil (coming tomorrow)
  • PH kits
  • Nitrosol

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-12 at 11.34.23.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-12 at 11.34.22.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EthWal said:

Really? Damn. What bulb(s) would you recommend for the beginning? I was hoping to get the flowering stage stuff at the end of the month after pay day haha. I would have thought it would be fine since that thing is huge. I only have a few hundred bucks left to spend on this, probably around R300-400, R500 max for this stage's light.

I'm just starting this as a hobby right now, but I'm hoping to really get into all of the technicalities after my first or second successful grow.

The tent I bought is 80 x 80 x 160cm

This is a list of stuff I have right now:

• Hygrometer
  • TDS / PPM / EC Meter
  • Analogue timer plug
  • My crappy bulb (pics attached, see the battery for scale haha)
  • Polystyrene cups to start my grow, then a 36cm pot to transplant
  • Freedom farms soil (coming tomorrow)
  • PH kits
  • Nitrosol

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-12 at 11.34.23.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-12 at 11.34.22.jpeg

Speak with @Master_G, I know he has some major fire LED lights.

If you have the 500 now, and more after payday, I'm sure he will be able to sort something out.

You have the goods for a successful grow, good soil, some testing equipment, good size pot. The plants have everything they need, except light. 

So if you can, channel your funds into a quality light, and the rest will be history 

• Like 1

U pretty equiped with what u need bro. 

As @CreX mentioned the light is the only thing missing. 

Depending on your budget. And a 80x80cm space. A 90 -120w quantum board with be great.

But if u got abit more cash to spend u rather invest abit more now. To save u from an upgrade later. Especially coz a light is abit pricey. Like a 240w quantum board for example. But its all up to what u willing to spend. 

For a 90-120w roughly about 2-3000

For a 240w roughly about 4-5000

Another option  is if u could utilize the sun. Theres amazing veg lights out thats really cheap at the moment. Plenty of experience with them in this Forum.

But for flowering u wont be able to use it. U would have to use the sun.

@CreX @afternoon blazer

Shot guys. I'm not too keen on spending an additional 2-5k on the light just yet.. but will definitely do for future grows, if I think that I can do this long term and enjoy it.

Would one of these 150W lights be enough in a >1m tent? https://www.acdc.co.za/pages/product-individual?FL-150W-CW

Saw that people were praising them a lot in that thread you tagged me in @afternoon blazer

One more thing, I'll probably plant my seed by Friday, some people say no light until its sprouted and some say a little light is good. I'm going to do this, but just want to make 100% sure I'm doing the right thing

• Plant seed with no light until sprouted
  • After sprouting 24h of ~6400k light
  • 18 hours of 100W ~6400k light in vegetative stage
  • 12 hours of light for flowering stage, not sure on exact light levels and watts but I think it's lower?
Edited by EthWal
  • Like 1

Howzit bro.

Remember the 150w led light is only good for veg. U need a plan for flowering. And theres only 2 options. 

A proper growlight or the SUN.

The 150w light would be good for a 70x70cm square max. To get good value out of the light. 

If u have a 1mx1m square footprint. I would suggest min 2 of those lights.  But im sure u said u have a 80 x 80 tent. So 1 light should be fine. Depending what u willing to spend on electricity a 24 hour light cycle is good too.

For flowering u need more watts and u need to have the light lower to ur plants. 

Depending on the light u get. It would tell u how low for each stage of the plants life. But with the led veg light. The members here can advise u.

57 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:
Howzit bro.
Remember the 150w led light is only good for veg. U need a plan for flowering. And theres only 2 options. 
A proper growlight or the SUN.
The 150w light would be good for a 70x70cm square max. To get good value out of the light. 
If u have a 1mx1m square footprint. I would suggest min 2 of those lights.  But im sure u said u have a 80 x 80 tent. So 1 light should be fine. Depending what u willing to spend on electricity a 24 hour light cycle is good too.
For flowering u need more watts and u need to have the light lower to ur plants. 
Depending on the light u get. It would tell u how low for each stage of the plants life. But with the led veg light. The members here can advise u.

Thanks man, really appreciate the help. I ordered the light.

I see the vegetative lasts over a month so hopefully I can get to the next pay day before getting my flowering light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by EthWal
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ok. I wave read the thread, the flood light 150w will veg your area okish. It’s not the same as a real grown llight. 2-3k is about as little as u will need for something decent to get some bud. Remember after 3 months of growing, u want to have at least a bit of bud to carry you through.

have a chat to me. Let’s see how we can help u get there

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1