SOG

West Coast Vaper

Hehehe okay... My limited abuse would be to change those damn cfls!!!! 

@Promhas very good success with SOG and auto flowers, but he is using some performance grow lights too.

What is your budget? You need to consider what meduim you want to grow in, what lights will get you through flower, and what nutrient will be your source.

My small 2c is to make sure you have a light that can do what you want it to do. 

Light gives the plant energy to use the nutrients you provide and make food. 

Imagine a body builder who is trying to bulk up, but isn't eating any food

But welcome man! Enjoy the site! 

• Haha 1

Okay, so there's a lot to consider when you're aiming to increase your yield, even when growing SOG style.

My suggestion would be to research a bit first before committing fully.
But here are a few things to look at.

- Good genetics (high yielding plant)

- Hydroponics will get you a faster growth rate, but not necessarily a higher yield (although the time taken to get it would be shorter by a week or 2)

- If you're using soil, you need a well mixed grow medium with enough drainage

- Use a good nutrient line if you aren't using living soil (it doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to work well)

- Make sure your space isn't too big for your light (you may end up with airy, smaller buds or just a really slow growth rate if you ignore your limits here)

- Ensure your plants get enough direct airflow to develop healthy, strong stems and they receive ample fresh air.

I have more advice on training but you can ask if you're going to need it. Generally people don't train nowhere near as heavy in SOG

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CreX said:

Hehehe okay... My limited abuse would be to change those damn cfls!!!! 

@Promhas very good success with SOG and auto flowers, but he is using some performance grow lights too.

What is your budget? You need to consider what meduim you want to grow in, what lights will get you through flower, and what nutrient will be your source.

My small 2c is to make sure you have a light that can do what you want it to do. 

Light gives the plant energy to use the nutrients you provide and make food. 

Imagine a body builder who is trying to bulk up, but isn't eating any food

But welcome man! Enjoy the site! 

Thanks man. I agree. Started growing outdoors a few years back, decided to try indoors a month back. Tough times call for cfl's. Will ask advice on lights when cash flows again. Plants are looking good though. Will photo when I figure out how to.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

Okay, so there's a lot to consider when you're aiming to increase your yield, even when growing SOG style.

My suggestion would be to research a bit first before committing fully.
But here are a few things to look at.

- Good genetics (high yielding plant)

- Hydroponics will get you a faster growth rate, but not necessarily a higher yield (although the time taken to get it would be shorter by a week or 2)

- If you're using soil, you need a well mixed grow medium with enough drainage

- Use a good nutrient line if you aren't using living soil (it doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to work well)

- Make sure your space isn't too big for your light (you may end up with airy, smaller buds or just a really slow growth rate if you ignore your limits here)

- Ensure your plants get enough direct airflow to develop healthy, strong stems and they receive ample fresh air.

I have more advice on training but you can ask if you're going to need it. Generally people don't train nowhere near as heavy in SOG

Thanks buddy. I came across SOG while researching lights. Really got me interested. As mentioned I am a novice on indoor so trying different methods in a small space then converting my garage in 2 months or so.

Gonna need a ton of help then.

• Like 2

Thanks buddy. I came across SOG while researching lights. Really got me interested. As mentioned I am a novice on indoor so trying different methods in a small space then converting my garage in 2 months or so.
Gonna need a ton of help then.

No problem bro, I'm glad to help.

Okay so here goes...

Once you've considered of all that I've mentioned before , then you don't have much else to decide.

LST works well, but it takes a lot of patience... Even when using it even with FIMing, it isn't the most effective. This is because you still have to, in a way, let the plant grow normally and constantly train it to fit your space

FIMing your tree will just give you more branches to train.

The next 2 methods I'm going to mention are ways of making the plant grow into your space, which requires minimal training and even less once you flip to flower.

Mainlining a tree requires less patience, and a bit more confidence when using this method because you will have to use some heavy HST with LST. I've used a slight variation of this on my last grow. I came out with about 204g of top shelf bud off a single tree (in a 70cm x 70cm tent).

"Quadlining" has been coming up more recently and I've done this on a Microgrow I had running a while ago. You don't remove as much plant material as the previous method but the results are pretty similar. It requires slightly less time than Mainlining but also works well on maximizing yield... I was able to get 40g from 1sq ft off a single, small tree.
This method doesn't produce as uniform buds as mainlining but it's still worth trying. My Inzane tree is quadlined... I'm going back to mainlining from the next grow.

Both these methods were effective at creating an even canopy with minimal LST and without the need of a net/trellis, but they do involve HST which means you will have recovery periods that add to your total length of the grow. Overall about a week extra veg.

I haven't tried any other methods, but from my understanding; ScrOG is one of the most effective at getting a maximum yield as this is a more controlled way of creating an even canopy and involves using a rigid screen through which you weave the tree as it grows. This makes maximum use of your space as you can decide what size grid to use and when you think its packed enough to flower.
This method comes at the cost of a long veg time and regular maintenance, due to having to check which tops are growing pass the others and getting others in optimal positions.
This is a bit impractical though once it gets to larger spaces.

I'm not sure what other yield boosting techniques are commonly used but IMO; I think you're better off running your trees with the mainlining technique.

Do some searching on Google to see how each of the methods work and how the trees grow, then see which one you'd feel comfortable doing. Everyone has their own preference but from my experience, mainlining is the way.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

No problem bro, I'm glad to help.

Okay so here goes...

Once you've considered of all that I've mentioned before , then you don't have much else to decide.

LST works well, but it takes a lot of patience... Even when using it even with FIMing, it isn't the most effective. This is because you still have to, in a way, let the plant grow normally and constantly train it to fit your space

FIMing your tree will just give you more branches to train.

The next 2 methods I'm going to mention are ways of making the plant grow into your space, which requires minimal training and even less once you flip to flower.

Mainlining a tree requires less patience, and a bit more confidence when using this method because you will have to use some heavy HST with LST. I've used a slight variation of this on my last grow. I came out with about 204g of top shelf bud off a single tree (in a 70cm x 70cm tent).

"Quadlining" has been coming up more recently and I've done this on a Microgrow I had running a while ago. You don't remove as much plant material as the previous method but the results are pretty similar. It requires slightly less time than Mainlining but also works well on maximizing yield... I was able to get 40g from 1sq ft off a single, small tree.
This method doesn't produce as uniform buds as mainlining but it's still worth trying. My Inzane tree is quadlined... I'm going back to mainlining from the next grow.

Both these methods were effective at creating an even canopy with minimal LST and without the need of a net/trellis, but they do involve HST which means you will have recovery periods that add to your total length of the grow. Overall about a week extra veg.

I haven't tried any other methods, but from my understanding; ScrOG is one of the most effective at getting a maximum yield as this is a more controlled way of creating an even canopy and involves using a rigid screen through which you weave the tree as it grows. This makes maximum use of your space as you can decide what size grid to use and when you think its packed enough to flower.
This method comes at the cost of a long veg time and regular maintenance, due to having to check which tops are growing pass the others and getting others in optimal positions.
This is a bit impractical though once it gets to larger spaces.

I'm not sure what other yield boosting techniques are commonly used but IMO; I think you're better off running your trees with the mainlining technique.

Do some searching on Google to see how each of the methods work and how the trees grow, then see which one you'd feel comfortable doing. Everyone has their own preference but from my experience, mainlining is the way.

Looking forward to the journey.

• Like 1