Starting Indoors in my shed

Hi guys,

Call me Jane 

I've been growing plants outdoors and have been quite successful with it.

I would like to convert my shed into an indoor grow room and would like advise.

The sheds dimensions are: 3.4m x 3.4 x 2m

Could I get a large LED light or two and use insulation to line the walls for reflection?

I would rather set up my own grow room than have a tent but I am open to suggestions

I'm wanting to plant 10 to 12 plants at a time no less

Please give me suggestions and referrals to people who have built their own rooms before and who can help me source out the parts and things I need 

I am in Benoni, East Rand 

Maryjanesbenoni@gmail.com 

• Like 1

Hi Jane 

Welcome! 

Lots of help here and I will start with my 5cents. That's just over 11sg/m and to start of you will need 4000  + true Watts, but if you use half of the space to grow and the rest just to keep all your grow nessesities it will help with the start up budget. Winter can be a bitch to maintain temps at a avg of 25 degrees if it's a outside building/shed, if so you need to insulate to keep the heat you paying for inside as best you can. If you veg loooong you can have 10-12 plants but you can put up to 20 x 25L pots easily in there and can manage plants better. All depends what the end products destiny is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkunkPharm said:

I would just replace the sheds roof with clear roof sheets and add some Led lights if you want to give some suplemental light. For insulation maybe some iso board if you really want to add it. 

My concern with this would be heat in summer, I think it would get too hot then.

Regardless in summer I think it will probably get too hot and therefore you'd need an AC running in there.

That is quite a large space, you will require quite a few LED lights to get decent output, with that being said you will be able to fit way more than 12 plants inside there.

I do not agree with needing 4000+ true watts, I reckon you could get away with around 18 to 20 LED QB's, which equates to around 2000W in power and they're dimmable so during veg dim them down. This will give you more than your desired 12 plants, in fact 9 QB's will easily cover 12 plants but not the entire space.

Your electricity bill will increase a lot with 2KW of lighting if you are running the full 2KW during flower that equates to an additional 744 units per month and at a rate of R1.70 per unit works out to R1 264.80 on a 12 hour cycle. Then also take into consideration a heater in winter, an Aircon in summer, other electrical stuff such as fans.

Probably an extra R1500 to R2k per month in electricity alone. The initial equipment is going to cost you a small fortune, if you can get QB's for R5k for 2 that is R45k for 18 QB's or R50k for 20. If you only want to do 12 plants then 8 or 10 QB's will suffice and at R5k local price for this many would be R20k or R25k and you may only find the lights at a higher price too.

Unfortunately the exchange rate has gone to shit so importing lights at the moment is a bit steep too, the R5k for 2 QB's is based on local pricing with the current stock. If these suppliers had to order new stock the price would increase quite a bit. To help lower costs do some research into importing your own QB's maybe, you could probably still save despite the higher exchange rate... Regardless the initial setup is going to cost you.

If you plan to go hydro, once again heat in summer could be an issue. Do not want your res temp too high so an AC would be even more important I reckon.

With that many plants watering by hand is going to be a bitch so I highly recommend an automatic watering system.

I wouldn't recommend soil, I feel coco would be a better choice as you can get 5KG bricks and buffer it yourself, mix it with perlite and you have a lot of medium for a very low price. Waaay cheaper than soil.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

My concern with this would be heat in summer, I think it would get too hot then.

Regardless in summer I think it will probably get too hot and therefore you'd need an AC running in there.

That is quite a large space, you will require quite a few LED lights to get decent output, with that being said you will be able to fit way more than 12 plants inside there.

I do not agree with needing 4000+ true watts, I reckon you could get away with around 18 to 20 LED QB's, which equates to around 2000W in power and they're dimmable so during veg dim them down. This will give you more than your desired 12 plants, in fact 9 QB's will easily cover 12 plants but not the entire space.

Your electricity bill will increase a lot with 2KW of lighting if you are running the full 2KW during flower that equates to an additional 744 units per month and at a rate of R1.70 per unit works out to R1 264.80 on a 12 hour cycle. Then also take into consideration a heater in winter, an Aircon in summer, other electrical stuff such as fans.

Probably an extra R1500 to R2k per month in electricity alone. The initial equipment is going to cost you a small fortune, if you can get QB's for R5k for 2 that is R45k for 18 QB's or R50k for 20. If you only want to do 12 plants then 8 or 10 QB's will suffice and at R5k local price for this many would be R20k or R25k and you may only find the lights at a higher price too.

Unfortunately the exchange rate has gone to shit so importing lights at the moment is a bit steep too, the R5k for 2 QB's is based on local pricing with the current stock. If these suppliers had to order new stock the price would increase quite a bit. To help lower costs do some research into importing your own QB's maybe, you could probably still save despite the higher exchange rate... Regardless the initial setup is going to cost you.

If you plan to go hydro, once again heat in summer could be an issue. Do not want your res temp too high so an AC would be even more important I reckon.

With that many plants watering by hand is going to be a bitch so I highly recommend an automatic watering system.

I wouldn't recommend soil, I feel coco would be a better choice as you can get 5KG bricks and buffer it yourself, mix it with perlite and you have a lot of medium for a very low price. Waaay cheaper than soil.

We have different views on this. She is growing outdoors in summer and with a door on each side of the grow and an extration fan or 2 in the roof you could get away with it in summer. Indoor growing is not the be all and end all of growing. And you dont need to invest thousands of rands to grow good weed. Most guys winning cannabis cups in the US is growing in living organic soils. You dont need to invest in new soul after each grow. You can run living organic soil. There are guys in the US that has been growing in their soil for 10 years and they are only now seeing there best flower being grown in that soul. It is all about maintaining a healthy living soil. Organic farming is sustainable unlike using salts to grow.