'Legalise it!' Mboweni tweets he will propose legal cannabis industry to Cabinet

Ill_Evan

The rest of the country might be easing into the working year, but Finance Minister Tito Mboweni is considering the prospect of billions which, according to him, could come from a fully legalised cannabis industry.

Mboweni on Thursday evening took to social media networking site, Twitter, to share images of cannabis plants from a farm at an undisclosed location. He extolled the potential that legalised cannabis could have for the South African economy and the South African Revenue Service’s collections.

Following the 2018 Constitutional Court judgement, the private possession, use and cultivation of cannabis has been de-criminalised and Parliament must now make the legislative adjustments to accommodate this. Selling cannabis at any scale remains, for the most part, illegal.

Mboweni tweeted to his 481 803 followers, asking for their opinions on whether sale of the plant should be made legal. While tweets from a Cabinet minister cannot be construed as government decisions, he stressed that we would, at least personally, be taking all inputs seriously.

Mboweni said there were a number of sites around the country, particularly in Limpopo Province, which he argued could give billions in tax money to SARS, if the industry could be legalised.

He did not clarify his calculations.

"My neighbor found this thing too! The soil is ready in Makgobaskloof to grow it legally! The economy of Lusikisiki and Tzaneen is waiting for legal growth of the stuff!! R4bn plus!! Tax money," Mboweni said.

While Mboweni's observations on Twitter do not directly qualify as a means to inform government policy, Mboweni said most of his followers were in support of the idea.

"On this one, the majority says: legalise! I will put the proposal to legalize [sic] it at the Cabinet Lekgotla this January. The People have demanded it. But those medical doctors…," Mboweni tweeted.

https://www.fin24.com/Economy/South-Africa/legalise-it-mboweni-tweets-he-will-propose-legal-cannabis-industry-to-cabinet-20200109

The economy of Lusikisiki and Tzaneen is waiting for legal growth of the stuff!!

That is only if policy is so that it allows people in such areas to create start-up ventures and small businesses without too heavy handed red tape, registration and expensive licensing. Otherwise it will only be big corp benefiting once again over the local populace. 

Although nice to see our financial minister recognising the economic opportunity of the plant for the country (we can save the conversation of misappropriation of said potential funds for another day...)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sars would benefit if growing cannabis is legalised, says Tito Mboweni

I like the fact that this story is getting airtime. The only thing that would worry me is this 'territory' /mafia style control that is still running - how will they view legalisation on their watch? The people will have to be the barometer.

https://www.iol.co.za/ios/news/sars-would-benefit-if-growing-cannabis-is-legalised-says-tito-mboweni-40773730

• Like 1

@420sake and that is the problem 420sake. I sat with someone yesterday who is involved with chinese investors looking at licensing. The investors are looking at the western cape as its the easiest. They are importing all the machinery from the far east, including alot of the labour force. They could not invest in the eastern cape due to bureaucracy and they did not want to invest in Natal cause its run by a consortium of ex rugby players. I dont know how true all of this is, but as far as I am concerned the guy does know what he is talking about.  I really just hope they let people grow at home, no tax, no license. Biggest problem is most governments see the tax dollars, and the ANC needs money, and generally does not have a clue what they are doing.

• Like 1

Read my say in Politics post @Chris Jay - most people do not know how to go forward. I am just so glad that we have Myrtle and Jules trying to keep the boat on course - otherwise it could have been another ten years of unraveling the cock-ups between Imbizos, campfire talks and Zumastans, whilst everyone is eating a fat chow and the kidz go hungry.

Let the Chinese in - if we must, they at least do not take shit from zulus. Its work or die. I also heard about the 'territories' owned by mafiosos and kingpins of darker inclination. Nothing belongs to the 'people' anymore. Last week I was told all game on the land belong to the zulus, and they will take what they want when they want. Hence the constitutional changes afoot so land may be stolen. Fork, I am about to resist a mining application for a farm in the middle of our peaceful cowzulunatal. No product specification, just want to mine!

Se La Vie....

Its gonna take IRON BALLS to sort out the shitty legacy we have inherited due to greed of those in control. (The BRASS BALLS were sold for scrap last year...) 

I choose to be positive and educate one person at a time to become members of the ICANDO tribe.

Noooo one owns the plant.

• Like 1

Funny enough was just sitting with a 70's politcal activist who spent months in jail for anti-apartheid photography, talking about weed, the chinese, surfing and a good living life.

When I first met Jules and Myrtle, I was over the moon and to a small degree underestimated the revolution they would fire up. If it were not for them, we would still be smoking seeds and sticks talking about legalization. They are the perfect couple, with brains, balls, intellect and undying energy. We can thank our lucky starts for them.

The chinese. I think they will be good for Africa. Its hard to say that as I pulled my finger at asian corporate companies I worked for and ran from that crap life. But this country needs a continental shift before anything will change. This need for burning, plundering and corruption needs to stop and sadly will only stop when nothing can be taken or when the  ( good people )people rise up. I do have hope in Ramaphosa, unfortunately Zuma created  a very corrupt regime thats legacy will burn us for a couple more decades.

No one owns the plant agreed, however greed, corruption is already showing is hungry face. The malemanoma syndrome must be culled or educated with open ears and hearts.

• Like 2