Dehumidifier

Dr. Green

Why not a portable aircon? That will drop your RH and allow you to control the temp better with these hot African summers.

In terms of what is better, I am not too sure but if you want a dedicated dehumidifier get one which allows you to at least set a specific RH. I suspect the power consumption will be the same for a dehumidifier vs aircon, or at best not much of a difference.

2 hours ago, Dr. Green said:

I'm about to purchase a 20liter Meaco dehumidifier this will be the last piece of expensive equipment, my setup should be complete after this. 

Id like to know if anyone knows of a better dehumidifier than the 20l Meaco? 

Thanks 

Ive got the Midea 20L running inside my 1x1m tent. Only real down side to dehumidifiers is the heat they give off!

I have mine set to keep a constant RH of 45%. The unit goes on for a few minutes every 15-20mins or so, drops rh to high 30s and then lets it raise up to 45+ before going on again. My temps fluctuate constantly because of this, 27-30C

Edited by YourStonedBuddy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are better dehumidifier available besides the midea that takeaway sell.

In my set-up I rely on the heat created by the dehumidifier to increase my temperatures at lights out. This way my air con will switch on at lights OFF and keep the room dialed in.

I just got to go thru my emails and find a quote for dehumidifiers I was sent recently. Their industrial duty unit was around 3500.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Why not a portable aircon? That will drop your RH and allow you to control the temp better with these hot African summers.

In terms of what is better, I am not too sure but if you want a dedicated dehumidifier get one which allows you to at least set a specific RH. I suspect the power consumption will be the same for a dehumidifier vs aircon, or at best not much of a difference.

I have a portable AC that's hooked up to an stc-1000. The AC chows too much power to run all the time so I'm getting the Meaco which only consumes 250w compared to 1300w from the AC. Going to have to play around to get them all dailed in. Maybe I just use dehumidifier during light out and AC lights on 

Edited by Dr. Green
  • Like 1

Both aircon and dehumidifier are essential to dial in conditions. If you use them together then split unit aircon with dehumidifier for growrooms.

On a smaller grow the cheapest way to control temperature and humidity is with a portable air con like what you have. During lights on you vent the exhaust pipe from the aircon out of your lung room as normal with the aircon set on cooling at the temperature suitable for your lights set-up.

At lights out you set the aircon to dehumidifier/dry mode and unclip exhaust pipe at the back of aircon so it vents the hot air into your lung room. If your portable aircon has the function where it automatically switches ON after a power failure. Then hook it up to a timer and only run it at lights out for the minimum time increments required to keep you safe from PM. You will have to camp out in your lung room and monitor what's going on to know how to set the timer.

You will get the most efficient use of your electricity this way whilst maintaining decent conditions in your tent.

• Like 1

My AC is fixed permanently to vent straight outside. I cannot unclip ducting and switch AC to dehumidifying mode every day due to work commitments. 

So what I've done is to hook my AC up to an Stc-1000 temperature controler which only switches my AC on when temps reach 29 and the AC is always on cooling mode. I will get a small heater for winter which the temp controller will switch on when it gets too cold so temps are sorted with the portable AC and temp controller. I went for the stc-1000 instead of a timer so I can save on the electricity as the AC is only on when needed.

I now only need to control the humidity during lights off really which I can do by putting the dehumidifier on a timer hopefully, should it keep its settings like my AC does when you disconnect power. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Green said:

My AC is fixed permanently to vent straight outside. I cannot unclip ducting and switch AC to dehumidifying mode every day due to work commitments. 

So what I've done is to hook my AC up to an Stc-1000 temperature controler which only switches my AC on when temps reach 29 and the AC is always on cooling mode. I will get a small heater for winter which the temp controller will switch on when it gets too cold so temps are sorted with the portable AC and temp controller. I went for the stc-1000 instead of a timer so I can save on the electricity as the AC is only on when needed.

I now only need to control the humidity during lights off really which I can do by putting the dehumidifier on a timer hopefully, should it keep its settings like my AC does when you disconnect power. 

Does your AC start cooling as soon as it receives power? If my portable AC is on and cooling and the power goes off, when it turns back on the AC is still in the "off" mode and needs me to turn it back on in order to start cooling again. Wondering how you bypassed this if yours originally worked the same as mine?

I have an STC-3008 up for sale in the classifieds, brand new. Basically the same as the STC-1000 but it has 2x temp probes so allows you to have both a heater and AC connected to a single unit at the same time basically and you can set each one separately. Very useful units indeed!

The name of the company that sent me the quote is Splendid Air.

They also sell 2nd hand and demo units.

My portable delonghi aircon also does not switch back on after a power failure. I contacted manufacturer and they told me it's not possible to have auto ON function. So what I use to do is switch it ON only at lights out. Even if I finish work late I go in and then switch it ON. Nowadays this unit has been sponsored to my veg room.

• Like 1