H2Ou

And so my new life learning course begins. ☺️

I was kindly pointed in the direction of a very pleasant young fella hereabouts. We chatted a bit and I explained my total lack of knowledge, tight budget and limited garden space.

He graciously gave me some pointers and then like a magician without a wand, transformed my little stash of cash into these two beeyooties...

IMAG1775.thumb.jpg.52e636c23ec807eb5477a030d38fd75b.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Very nice!

Where about are you based and what is your game plan? Perhaps we can give further advice.

Hello @PsyCLown

Helderberg region outside of Cape Town, is where I'm based. I appreciate your offer of guidance, having never done this before.

So, I have a micro garden, which gets some limited sun each day. Fortunately I work from home and was thinking of getting some big heavy duty bags with handles which will allow me to hump my girls around as the sun moves.

I don't know if that is feasible. I just know that I need to provide them with lots of sunlight.

Pleasant young barkeep at my new local passed a small bag of about 20 seeds over the counter to me today. So I might just practice with some of them for the time being. It was a nice gesture.

• Like 2

Hello @PsyCLown
Helderberg region outside of Cape Town, is where I'm based. I appreciate your offer of guidance, having never done this before.
So, I have a micro garden, which gets some limited sun each day. Fortunately I work from home and was thinking of getting some big heavy duty bags with handles which will allow me to hump my girls around as the sun moves.
I don't know if that is feasible. I just know that I need to provide them with lots of sunlight.
Pleasant young barkeep at my new local passed a small bag of about 20 seeds over the counter to me today. So I might just practice with some of them for the time being. It was a nice gesture.
Hi H2Ou
Moving your plants around is going to be heavy going and a PITA.... You gonna be limited to about 20lit or whatever you can comfortably carry.
Just some ideas-Have a look at the carrier bags from Woolies, they about 20lit, got handles and should work well for bagseed. 25lit buckets from China mall/Crazy plastic also work well.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good day @Bospatrollie2

Cheers for that. I sorta knew that the rectal discomfort was going to be on the right hand side of the meter, but you confirmed it. Lol. One must do what one must. I guess it will save me a bit on gym fees.  😁

Having read a bit elsewhere here, I've put 5 of the donated seeds in some wet paper towel in a ziplok bag. Any suggestions on how long to keep them in the bag ?

TIA

226592636_FIVESEEDSINWETTOWELZIPLOK20102019.thumb.jpg.0d9c6a5fd312104315b83d74977120f9.jpg

• Like 1

Good day @Bospatrollie2
Cheers for that. I sorta knew that the rectal discomfort was going to be on the right hand side of the meter, but you confirmed it. Lol. One must do what one must. I guess it will save me a bit on gym fees.  
Having read a bit elsewhere here, I've put 5 of the donated seeds in some wet paper towel in a ziplok bag. Any suggestions on how long to keep them in the bag ?
TIA
226592636_FIVESEEDSINWETTOWELZIPLOK20102019.thumb.jpg.0d9c6a5fd312104315b83d74977120f9.jpg

Usually they take about 2 to 3 days to crack and tap roots to emerge. In cold weather they may take longer. I prefer keeping them in a covered sideplate so I can open and close to check.
Keep an eye on them and be carefull when you remove them from the towel to transplant, as the roots are very fragile and many a good bean has been lost due to a broken tap root.
You can plant them out as soon as the root is out of the shell, some people prefer to wait until it's 1cm long-your choice.
While you wait for roots, prep your transplant stuff.

Enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I grew some Moringa saplings from seed in Oz, using the wet paper towel method in a Tupperware container.  I would just take a pair of scissors and cut around the seed and root and plant the whole thing in some nice soil in a small flower pot.

I'm thinking that would work here as well, to protect the tap root. ???

• Like 1

I grew some Moringa saplings from seed in Oz, using the wet paper towel method in a Tupperware container.  I would just take a pair of scissors and cut around the seed and root and plant the whole thing in some nice soil in a small flower pot.
That will work fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, H2Ou said:

In my experience that is not really needed, as long as you use high quality carlton towel it should be fine - I only had it happen to me once when I was using lower quality towel and when I left the seed in for too long, but then I did cut around the paper towel and plant it with the seed.

I use the Woolworths paper towel as it is bleach free and has a good strength and thickness to it, I have yet to have any taproot getting through the towel.

I also use tweezers (angled ones actually) when removing the seed and taproot from the paper towel, makes life much easier.

• Like 1

Hey H20u.

If I were you I would get 20liter pots, either materiel or normal black plastic ones, fill with quality cannabis soil (either go Freedom Farm, Jamie's Living Soil or Craft Cannabis Spoil) and test your location with a few of those bag seeds. In my opinion 20liter pots will restrict your plants from growing to big and will not be that heavy to move around.

Watch out for the wind when your plants are small as they can bend if they stretch to much in the first few weeks.

I would not worry about fertilizer at this point, especially when going with the premixed soil options.

End of the month the light cycle will be good, keeping in mind that your bag seeds will not start to flower before the light dark cycle gets to 12 / 12... this is where the beauty lies in the auto flower seed you purchase as you will be able to flower before the grow season ends.

Just my humble 2 cents...

17 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

In my experience that is not really needed, as long as you use high quality carlton towel it should be fine - I only had it happen to me once when I was using lower quality towel and when I left the seed in for too long, but then I did cut around the paper towel and plant it with the seed.

I use the Woolworths paper towel as it is bleach free and has a good strength and thickness to it, I have yet to have any taproot getting through the towel.

I also use tweezers (angled ones actually) when removing the seed and taproot from the paper towel, makes life much easier.

Right...never thought about possible bleach contamination. Good job these are the donated "Transkei" seeds. I'll swing by Woolies and get myself some bleach free and a pair of ladies eyebrow whipper snippers. 😁

Thanks @PsyCLown

Edited by H2Ou
Typo

13 hours ago, Stoukie said:

Hey H20u.

If I were you I would get 20liter pots, either materiel or normal black plastic ones, fill with quality cannabis soil (either go Freedom Farm, Jamie's Living Soil or Craft Cannabis Spoil) and test your location with a few of those bag seeds. In my opinion 20liter pots will restrict your plants from growing to big and will not be that heavy to move around.

Watch out for the wind when your plants are small as they can bend if they stretch to much in the first few weeks.

I would not worry about fertilizer at this point, especially when going with the premixed soil options.

End of the month the light cycle will be good, keeping in mind that your bag seeds will not start to flower before the light dark cycle gets to 12 / 12... this is where the beauty lies in the auto flower seed you purchase as you will be able to flower before the grow season ends.

Just my humble 2 cents...

Cheers @Stoukie

I've been noodling on a very small cart with two wheels, a front foot and a slip-in, removable handle. Bog simple. Angle iron frame with recycled pallet wood platform, with the wheels made from 25mm x 4mm flat bar, around 300mm diameter. I'll weld some 8mm round-bar spikes on the rim, so I can aerate the lawn as I maneuver the 20 litre pots  with the sun. This will prevent yellow patches forming under the pot as well.

Wind is not a big factor in my micro garden. We had a big blow on the weekend and the trees around us were whipping around, but the garden walls protected us and it was just a mild breeze out on the micro lawn.

Thanks for the soil/fertiliser advice. Will go looking for some when next near an emporium.

Not too sure what you mean about the auto flower. I'll need to do some more reading here. (Problem is, the bloody customers are keeping me so delightfully busy, I don't get time at "work" to research my favourite herb. Lol.)

Regarding autoflowers, they will flower based on time - where the "normal" seeds / plants, more correctly called "Photoperiod" will only start to flower when they are exposed to a reduced duration of light.

Indoors most people will veg their plants under 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness. Then when they want to flower their plants they will change to 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness to force the plants to flower, without the reduction to 12 hours of darkness the plants will not flower.

However with autoflower plants, this is different. The plant will start to flower automatically by itself based on a its age. So for example an autoflower plant will start flowering after 3 - 6 weeks of veg normally. 

If you are growing photoperiods outdoors, you need to wait for the seasons to change and for the duration of light to decrease before the plants will start to flower.

To add to what @PsyCLown said, in your instance if you plant the Apple Pie photoperiod seed now your plant will only start to flower towards the middle of March next year as the days start getting shorter and light duration dip below 12 hours a day.

But if you plant the auto flower Lemon Haze now you will harvest in the next 12 to 16 weeks, depending on the autoflower strain and depending on how rip you want it to be...

Disclaimer - My times and dates might be incorrect

On 10/22/2019 at 1:21 PM, PsyCLown said:

Regarding autoflowers, they will flower based on time - where the "normal" seeds / plants, more correctly called "Photoperiod" will only start to flower when they are exposed to a reduced duration of light.

Indoors most people will veg their plants under 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness. Then when they want to flower their plants they will change to 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness to force the plants to flower, without the reduction to 12 hours of darkness the plants will not flower.

However with autoflower plants, this is different. The plant will start to flower automatically by itself based on a its age. So for example an autoflower plant will start flowering after 3 - 6 weeks of veg normally. 

If you are growing photoperiods outdoors, you need to wait for the seasons to change and for the duration of light to decrease before the plants will start to flower.

Thank you @PsyCLown

On 10/22/2019 at 2:25 PM, Stoukie said:

To add to what @PsyCLown said, in your instance if you plant the Apple Pie photoperiod seed now your plant will only start to flower towards the middle of March next year as the days start getting shorter and light duration dip below 12 hours a day.

But if you plant the auto flower Lemon Haze now you will harvest in the next 12 to 16 weeks, depending on the autoflower strain and depending on how rip you want it to be...

Disclaimer - My times and dates might be incorrect

And thank you, also, @Stoukie

Learning, learning, learning....

Hi All.

An update today. 

We've had cooler weather this week and even though @Bospatrollie2 had said that they might take more than 2 or 3 days when it ain't hot, I was starting to get a little concerned last evening as there didn't seem to be anything happening.

I just went out to the garage with a rollie and a cup of coffee and.....we have a sprout !  Woohoo !  😁

There's another showing a bit of white on the one end, so I think we should have another sprout today.

Sorry about the kak pic. I carefully placed my phone in a puddle of diesel earlier this year and sort of melted my camera lens. So I only have the "selfie" lens to work with until I get my new phone in the next few weeks. (Boss man tells me it will be one of those new-fangled eyefone things, so it should take semi-decent photos.)

BTW. I forgot to mention that I intend using structured water to irrigate my plants. I'll be interested to see if there's any obvious benefit, bearing in mind that I know nought.

730726875_FIRSTSPROUT.thumb.jpg.da5c7865fe4db84677d648c6f9924562.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stretchy said:

As long as it's not ice-nine, you should be ok.

No, @stretchy, some very positive stuff. Good for humans...

But, before we go to the subject of structured water, some of my favourite music.

A track from the classic movie "Easy Rider".

The Band, with The Weight...

Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson, smokin' some gooood stuff....

To the subject of structured water.

We pay respects to Viktor Schauberger, Dr. Masaru Emoto and most recently, for having brought structured water to the attention of many folks in our world today, clif high of Half Past Human and Jerry Durand of Durand Interstellar.

Official advisory. I'm a friend of Jerry's and sell his product's both here in SA and in Oz. clif is an aquaintance and uses some of my products, as well as Jerry's.

However, in the spirit of fourtwentydness, I'll show you how to make your own structured water device. For a couple of Rand.

We are large, wobbly bags of jelly, comprising some 70% water.

If we put dead water into our bodies, our bodies will react accordingly. They will die.

We need to enliven our water and this is where the field of structured water comes into play.

Many of us live in cities and our water, after having been forced through miles of straight pipes, arrives at the spigot depleted of any energy. If you are wealthy enough, you might drink spring water. But so often, this is packaged for long periods of time in plastic bottles, which is not good for us. 

In an effort to revitalise my water, I structure every glass I drink. I only drink rain water or spring water. I'm eyeing out the lovely river some 1km away, which runs out of the unpopulated mountains behind us.

TBC