Light height, plant size & yield

PsyCLown

Hey all,

So @Master_G and I were talking last night and he likes to raise his LED's very high to get his plants to stretch a bit.

I have been keeping my LED's lower and in turn keeping the plants a bit bushier and shorter.

Now, by letting the plants stretch a bit more you end up with a plant which is a bit bigger, if both plants are given the same amount veg time etc.

How would this affect the yield of the plants though? Would getting a bit of stretch be recommended as the extra size from the plant will most likely lead to bigger yields or will the yields likely be similar?

He also does not do any training where I am trying some LST, so that affects plant size too.

I guess what I am getting at is, if you have two clones of the same size and you put them both under the same LED light - but the lights are at different heights.

Therefore causing the one plant to stretch a bit more, everything else done the exact same which is more likely to yield more?

That depends a bit on the light bru. How far can the light penetrate the canopy and be effective. If it can penetrate a good amount growing them a bit taller could be beneficial. Maybe not by that much but it all depends how far your light is from it and how much light the bottom gets.

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

So a taller / bigger plant does not equal higher yield?

A bushier plant which is flatter could yield more as it will be able to get more light overall? Basically it can have a wider canopy to absorb more light?
Being flatter will help keep the light output equal between the entire plant as opposed to just the main cola?

• Like 1

Essentially bru, my light is a Gavita 6/750 and it does have good penetration so 1.4m tall plants are good to go. But some might want to keep it a bit more low and bushy to get more light on that girl.

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

Interesting question....might be very subjective due to growing styles and variable growing conditions.
Even though I grow outdoor, my parameters are very similar.

Extremes of both scenarios will definitely be detrimental.
Too short and bushy- might be more susceptible to issues like pm, rot and poor light penetration.
Too stretched and lanky- would leave you with thin weak stems and buds spaced too far apart. Wasting space.

Probably the best plant ''structure'' would be in the middle somewhere, depending on the space and strain.
Indicas/Ruderalis naturally grow short and stocky and would benefit from a bit more stretch wheras Sativas grow tall and lanky and probably need to be held in check.
Growers manipulate the plant to fit their space, the plant isn't really ''allowed'' to grow the way it ''naturally'' would, which may also be a form of stress.

I would go with a ''bit more'' stretch to capitalise on air circulation and light penetration and to avoid all the other bad shit.

Happy healthy plants that experience the least amount of ''stress'' will produce the best yields.

My2c

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1