Growing for Seeds (With STS)

PsyCLown

No, her...

Only females make bud and only females will make seeds.

Males only give you pollen, which then needs to get onto the females in order for seeds to be created.

So I had 2x female autos, I then sprayed the one with STS which is a chemical which suppresses (stops) the production of ethylene which leads to the female plant growing pollen sacs (similar to a hermie, but not due to stress - it's due to the chemicals).

Then take that pollen from the plant and use it on the other, untouched female plant, which is what you see above.

I then killed the plant I had sprayed with STS, it becomes useless as I wouldn't use the bud as Sts is very toxic and I already have pollen and don't want the rest of my females to become pollinated.

Once a plant has been pollinated, its focus becomes the seeds and not so much the bud and trichomes. So yield decreases and potency too.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Aaah thanks for clarification! Me still learning...
  • Like 3

So I finally got around to harvesting the Daquari Lime and the seeds she has provided too!

I got a few more seeds than pictured below, I started by trying to pick out as many seeds as I could and then I did the bus wash and trim, got a few more during trimming and may even find a few more when I finally give it a try - she was not heavily seeded which is perfectly fine by me considering I do not need stupid amounts of seeds from her. I only used around 4 or 5 pollen sacs and spread the pollen with my sticky fingers. Seeds are nice and large!

IMG_20191011_175349.jpg

IMG_20191012_082646.jpg

IMG_20191012_082654_1.jpg

IMG_20191012_082708.jpg

IMG_20191012_082745.jpg

IMG_20191012_114453.jpg

• Like 8

Last night I decided to jar the bud and found a few more seeds, so I have a fair amount of seeds from the Daq Lime.

Gonna wait a while to ensure they are properly dried and then I will put them in a ziplock bag with some silica and into the fridge.

I put the one Charlottes Angel (Surrogate plant) into flower last weekend and yesterday morning I did a quick STS spray on the other Charlottes Angel (donor plant) again. I will probably put the donor plant into flower this weekend or perhaps sometime next week as I want to give the surrogate plant time to develop lots of pistils before the pollen is ready.

• Like 4

So I did another STS spray tonight on the Charlottes Angel.

I just weighed my dry bud from the Daq Lime and it comes in at 78g dry in total, not bad considering how small the plant was and that it was seeded too.

Busy curing with a 58% Boveda pack now.

Edited by PsyCLown
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Further updates!

The Charlottes Angel surrogate is looking good, quite a tall plant due to the unplanned additional veg time. Kinda farked her up due to trying to keep her small - topped her too many times which I feel will negatively impact yield but that's alright for now.
5fc7e1bd6e07c62c0f14b7050b973a0f.jpg
4aec58c4f71d265fee9bcfb0c9d2d652.jpg

The Charlottes Angel next to my Chocolope plant which will be harvested later this week.
381cc2568f42f999cc494e5b89c4f541.jpg

The donor Charlottes Angel is also looking tall and finally some balls are starting to show!!
83d3ff42eee539fa77f2a46f5cc3137f.jpg
841d9cccbfc0e55c6e4a3053c88344f9.jpg
61e4f57382422e6b28590f702b07fd70.jpg

Hopefully I'll have pollen by next week and then can cull the donor and put other plants into flower!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So I pollinated the Charlottes Angel on Monday evening, looking at the pistils it seems to have worked.

The donor Charlottes Angel was killed. I now wait for the bud and seeds to mature. Extremely eager to make some oil and have some people try it out and see how well it works for them.

The picture I took last night, she smells really good! I also had some PM on her but that seems to be sorted now, I used both milk and AQSF to try get rid of the PM.

IMG_20191119_202949.jpg.fc29bdac4cb15b3624ecc341260f95ed.jpg

• Like 2

I'd rather use AQ sf and / or milk in flower as opposed to something like copper soap (toxic) or hydrogen peroxide (I fear about damage to the trichomes and terpenes).

My Charlottes Angel was in flower with some bud development when I used it. Just made sure the fan was on it to dry it out and did it as the lights came on to ensure it evaporates and such.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

I'd rather use AQ sf and / or milk in flower as opposed to something like copper soap (toxic) or hydrogen peroxide (I fear about damage to the trichomes and terpenes).

My Charlottes Angel was in flower with some bud development when I used it. Just made sure the fan was on it to dry it out and did it as the lights came on to ensure it evaporates and such.

Does it turn the pistils red?

47 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

The AQ sf? Not that I noticed, only after pollinating did I notice the pistils change colour and "die".

So it's quite pistil friendly... impressive

Besides pollination almost anything can kill them pistils, touching your buds or bicarb spray etc

So it's quite pistil friendly... impressive
Besides pollination almost anything can kill them pistils, touching your buds or bicarb spray etc
I try avoid touching my buds, I know quite a few like to touch them and see how dense they are - I prefer to leave them alone.

I've only ever sprayed water and now AQ sf and milk during flower.

It's a fungal itself, so I think that is the reason why it doesn't cause any damage to the pistils.
I also quite like trichoderma and mycorrhizal fungi in my grows. How much of a difference it actually makes I cannot say, but I use it anyways.
Trich always as part of my seed soak, I believe it can help prevent damping off and root rot and a few other issues.

Moving over to coco now, I don't feel as if there is much need to use microbe inoculations. Not much organic matter for the microbes to break down etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I try avoid touching my buds, I know quite a few like to touch them and see how dense they are - I prefer to leave them alone.

I've only ever sprayed water and now AQ sf and milk during flower.

It's a fungal itself, so I think that is the reason why it doesn't cause any damage to the pistils.
I also quite like trichoderma and mycorrhizal fungi in my grows. How much of a difference it actually makes I cannot say, but I use it anyways.
Trich always as part of my seed soak, I believe it can help prevent damping off and root rot and a few other issues.

Moving over to coco now, I don't feel as if there is much need to use microbe inoculations. Not much organic matter for the microbes to break down etc.

Yeah I must agree on the not touching of buds. I rub the undersides of the sugar leaves to get a smell of the terps. I haven't used any of those inoculations in coco but I would love to try it.

Damping off is . I'm quite ocd when it comes to sanitizing everything before germination. I strictly only use those coco plugs to start seeds. And then face a fan directly at the tops of them for a few hours just to dry the tops a bit before they sprout. I haven't had a single damping off this way. Domes and reusing substrates definitely increases chances of damping off.

It really sucks when you see a beautiful little sprout emerge and then start to grow its beautiful little 1st true leaves and then all of a sudden... bom bom bom... 

• Agree 1

Yeah I must agree on the not touching of buds. I rub the undersides of the sugar leaves to get a smell of the terps. I haven't used any of those inoculations in coco but I would love to try it.
Damping off is . I'm quite ocd when it comes to sanitizing everything before germination. I strictly only use those coco plugs to start seeds. And then face a fan directly at the tops of them for a few hours just to dry the tops a bit before they sprout. I haven't had a single damping off this way. Domes and reusing substrates definitely increases chances of damping off.
It really sucks when you see a beautiful little sprout emerge and then start to grow its beautiful little 1st true leaves and then all of a sudden... bom bom bom... 

I've never had issues with damping off either, although rather use it. It's not a bad thing and can only be beneficial. It's cheap too.

Although even with being clean and sterile, it's never really sterile. As soon as it's out in the open, there is a chance for contaminations. The fan would just further increase that risk.

I also rub sugar leaves to smell the terpenes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Charlottes Angel is coming along nice, had some issues with PM but the milk and AQ sf seems to be helping quite a bit.

You can see the seeds are forming, the bud is looking good. It is a 10 - 12 weeks train so got a while to go still and the bud needs to swell up some more still before I start checking trichomes.

A very sweet scent, for a strain with upto 16% CBD and under 1% THC she is mighty frosty. 

487208324_CAbud.png.01e07029b481a3641427020a229814d9.png

IMG_20191128_195546.thumb.jpg.33912004c88bc789db8cb80c05c44985.jpg

IMG_20191128_195537.jpg

• Like 2