420SA's Grow #1

420SA

Hi Folks

Finally I'm able to get my next grow going and my first on this forum!!  ;D

For now I'm going to be growing out 5 seeds. These are a collection of freebies from seed banks and seeds from friends.

The reason I'm growing out these "less valuable" seeds is because I'll be going away on the 21st and will be trying out my auto watering system I've devised for the 2 weeks I'm going to be away.

I popped the seeds on Tuesday & Wednesday this week (4 days ago)

Here's the strains I'm growing:

1 x Thunderbud Haze (Holy Smoke Seeds) - Regular

1 x Kings Kush (GHS) - Fem

1 x Black To Black (Soul Breeders) - Fem

2 x AMS (GHS) - Fem

Growing Medium - 60/40 coco/perlite

Nutrients - Nutriplex Trio

I'm starting the seedlings off under 2 x 85W CFL's and will be moving them to my grow tent in a week or 2.

The grow tent will comprise of:

1 x 400W HPS

1 x 5" intake

1 x 6" exhaust

1 x Oscillating Fan

All seeds have germinated and are now in their mini pots. The 1 AMS seed took a very long time to germ, so long that thought it wasn't going to so I popped another AMS only to find both seeds germinating in the end. Which is why I've got two of those now  :-puffin

As you will see all but the AMS seeds have broken the surface, they should pop up tomorrow.

Started the seeds off fully emerged in water for 24 hours and then moved them to cotton wool until the white roots have emerged

20141203_120904_zpsba21fcfd.jpg

Then into the pots below

20141207_160123_zps7c20bf27.jpg

Till next time!

:-peace

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Maxwell

Lekka line up you got there!! Looks like all the ingredients for a successful grow! What have you devised for your auto-watering? Look forward to see these strains!  :-peace

Lekka line up you got there!! Looks like all the ingredients for a successful grow! What have you devised for your auto-watering? Look forward to see these strains!  :-peace

Bought myself an aquarium pump and plan to pump water from a 100L container(reservoir) using a timer. My main worry is whether all the nutes mixed into the water will settle at the bottom of the reservoir over time which is where the pump will sit. Perhaps I might have to raise the pump up a little bit in the reservoir to avoid any nutrient burn issues. Any suggestions?

Guest grunterfish86

Niice 420,,,I use a similar set up just a smaller res,20l  I keep a airstone bubbling in it to keep water moving and added o2 is a plus! With out the airstone and a high ec I noticed it starting to get smelly depending on pump size and frequency of use it might heat the water up in the rez,,obviously container must be light resistant as well haha good luck I'm subbed so will be along for the ride !!!

Guest Maxwell

I think your biggest challenge will be maintaining pH. 5.2-6.2 is the range, to maintain while away I guess you'd need to start at a stable 5.2-4 on day of leaving. If you use  two pumps, one tiny one to just keep it circulating and one to feed, there shouldn't be a sediment issue. But pH is going to rise. Big Res is better.  :-peace

Thanks for that Max. I was thinking the exact same thing about getting another small pump just to keep the water moving.

As for the PH, was not aware of such a possibility but I definitely see that it does happen. What exactly causes that? Slime build up?

You need a bigger Res so that the ph doesn't fluctuate from evaporation, plant up take etc.

100L you change every 2weeks,  200L - +-3 weeks,  300L - 4 to 5 weeks

So the bigger the better,  but it will just cost a little more on nutes.

You can do a top up, you will just have to do the math on your ppm's, Liters left. 

But a whole change is best to keep up the high levels of all nutrients, sterility and give you a chance to clean off any salt build up or algae growth.

Guest Maxwell

So without trying to sound smarter than I am, pH is basically how much Hydrogen is available for exchange. The pH will rise as the result of the exchanges going on over time. Aerating the water will hasten this process and the smaller the body of water, the faster it will rise.  :-peace

Guest grunterfish86

Haha thanks for that Max (smart ass) just joking makes sense ! I use a Lil bit of liquid silicon and it helps stabilize the pH, it does rise slightly to about 6,2 from 5,8 but by then I top up The rez again I did read that its best to have pH drift up slowly nway ?? Only feeding one plant at the moment anyway so 100 litre mixes sounded like a mission just to clear that up, sorry 420 

Guest Maxwell
:-hilarious :-hilarious Well if you'd like we can get into the chemistry of it  :poke LOL. You should actually read into it a little, pH is one of the most important parts of nutrient uptake, you can easily sort deficiencies by only adjusting pH as well as identifying them earlier. Mobile, immobile elements and pH is the best place to start researching how to hone your feedings.  :-peace

Thanks for the all info folks. Quite simply I'm gonna use the 100 litre res I have. Buy another pump for circulation, start with a PH of 5.2 to 5.3 and hope for the best

A quick update*

I've moved the seedlings over to the tent under a 400W dual spec.

Unfortunately that initial struggling AMS seed didn't go any further than showing a small bit of white root. Luckily I had an extra AMS seed which seems to be doing fine.

I seem to be managing temps ok in the tent by using both a 6" and 5" as exhausts and using one of tent vents as a passive intake. Highest temp I've recorded is 30.3 which is hot but I suppose manageable, especially for veg.

Not much else to report!  :-peace

20141211_090254_zps1a01f5f0.jpg

Quick update at day 11

All seems to be going well.

The seedlings started to yellow up a bit so I gave them a very light feed with a PPM of 220. They're responding well to the feed except the Kings Kush which I think is showing a bit of N toxicity with the curling? Not too sure...

Otherwise all is quite alright  :thumbups

20141214_103959_zps996841f2.jpg

20141214_124649_zpsf0182152.jpg

20141214_124653_zps97caa5e9.jpg

20141214_124657_zpsf7a9d177.jpg

Kings's Kush

20141214_124704_zps268c55cf.jpg

Day 16

Just giving an update before I leave on a short 2 week break.

Luckily a mate will be looking after the plants while I'm away. That saves me a shit load of stress  :-meditate

Will be taking them to him tomorrow so no more updates on this log for the next 2 weeks.

20141219_210900_zpsgo9ewhie.jpg

20141219_210907_zpsggh3pwgl.jpg

20141219_210918_zpshq2tefkq.jpg

20141219_210926_zps9bb0xoil.jpg

Guest Garethleauk

Well I hope your buddy does a good job with them while your away. Would really suck to come back to dead plants lol.  :-hilarious :-hilarious :-hilarious I look forward to the update when your back

Update at day 33

I've arrived home to some wonderful looking ladies!  ;D except the KK which has always been been a troubled child however she is showing signs of improvement  :thumbups Many thanks to my mate who has rather fortunately (for his sake)  :poke looked after the plants really well!  :-gthumb  :-gthumb

20150105_190624_zpsade3cbe9.jpg

Took these pics with my phone. One with the glasses lens in front of the camera's lens and one photo without the glasses lens in front. Major difference!

Grow light: 400W HPS

Without lens in front

20150105_190523_zpsykrfond7.jpg

With HPS+ lens in front

20150105_190521_zpsvyfq5c1k.jpg

Looking good 8)

Did you flip them? I see you using the HPS? :poke

Guest Maxwell

Very nice 420SA! Looks like you left them in some capable hands!  :-clap :-clap Toby I think you can veg under HPS, provided the hours are still 18/6 or whatever. At least I have been told this... I use MH  :-peace

Guest Garethleauk

Wow those plants look amazing. You are lucky to know people who would look after your plants for you so well. Must be an experienced grower. Looking forward to seeing the end results.

Looking good 8)

Did you flip them? I see you using the HPS? :poke

Nope didn't flip them. My metal Halide started developing this really odd looking build up in the filament. Kinda like a greenish substance... so I stopped using the MH.

This HPS is a Sunmaster Dual Spec which can be used for Flowering and Vegging, apparently.