Noob Questions on Brewing Tea - Ingredient(s)

Dear Organics Gurus, 

Many tea recipes around, but quite difficult attempting to find certain suitable ingredients in SA, with a noob's lack of knowledge.

Primarily looking to create / sustain bennies, rather than a source of nutrition. Beginning with recipe similar to Heisenberg's Tea for DWC, in DWC, and perhaps will expand and brew different teas for coco and possibly more balls out soil tea for outdoor season, depending on how I get on. More simple for now.

Just one Noob question simply related to ingredients:

Will a product like mycoroot be effective for brewing tea, i.e. will the mycorrhizal activate/dissolve/thrive  (terminology?) or will I need a different source?

Mycoroot needs to be added to your medium at the root level actually several weeks before planting your bean/clone. Those fungal pieces need to reconstitute and grow. Your roots need to grow through it and get infected to gain any benefit from the fungi.

This is best for a no till setup.

:-peace

Thanks for your help Totemic[/member] ,

Have been inoculating with Mycoroot at transplant,  in coco. 

Many recipes for DWC teas - such as Heisenberg's - have soluble mycos as an ingredient, usually "Mycogrow Soluble" 

http://www.fungi.com/product-detail/product/mycogrow-soluble-1-oz.html

All I can seem to find is Mycoroot, and have some on hand in any case, which obviously doesn't appear too soluble. Do you think it'll be ineffective?

I have had lengthy conversations with the Dr who developed and produces mycoroot. She explained to me that the clay they use as a carrier, holds the fungi in the cavities in the clay.

The reconstitution time is weeks not hours so I cant see it being beneficial in a tea at all.

:-peace

Youd be better off buying a ready to add liquid formula.

Michorrizal fungi need to infect a root and hitch a ride as the roots grow. It is a symbiotic relationship.

Your best way of using it if you insist, would be to plant wheat grass, or any other grass and after a few weeks harvest the roots and snip them up into tiny pieces as part of your brew. It might work but for all the effort it would take and the time involved,... yeah the possible benefits are not noticeable on grows.

Ya, I'll definitely trust in your expertise, it is much appreciated Totemic[/member] .

Was hoping to get some more mileage out of regular brews. As it is I question the life span of the bottled microbes I am using, in a DWC environment, though I'm fairly confident root health has been improved and potential slime combated. There's just no data, anecdotal or otherwise, on the 2 bottled products available in SA; so it's pour and pray. 

The teas are usually:

EWC

ZHO - (Botanicare ZHO is a proprietary blend of mycorrhizae and trichoderma fungi )

Mycogrow

Molasses 

Why two sources of mycos, not sure.

• 2 months later...

I started brewing my own tea this season and so far its going good. I haven't added any ingredients to my tea. I'm still at level 1 with brewing meaning I am currently using horse manure and worm castings with added molasses. I haven't gotten to a shop to get extra stuff cause I live in a small ass town that is closed minded. I still have to find a fellow grower near me to hang with cause the guys here just buy street weed.

Blessings

Hein

You don't need a shop to brew a good tea. Let nature be your guide bud , roll a fatty and go look for lush growth in nature and take some soil samples from it for the tea . Get some from different types of areas to get a greater diversity of microbes .

When you say soil samples, how deep should I dig when I take soil ?I'm heading up to a good spot with good growth in different areas this weekend.

Blessings

Hein