Beginner

Jellytot

Okay guys so I really want to grow a plant. My problem I think currently is my entire situation that will prevent me from trying to grow a plant. I think the only way to learn is to ultimately mess up to learn from the mistakes, so I don't actually expect my first plant to survive 8). I want to ultimately get into the art of growing, and not just for consuming the yield of the plant, but for now I want to basically save money by not having to buy weed :-hilarious .

My questions are:

• Where do I get good quality seeds from? Can I use the seeds from the weed I buy from my dealer first as a test?

• What would your advice be for a student living in a commune (with 12 guys, most smoke) to grow a plant? Problem here is the owner and agent of the commune are on the property almost daily.

• Our rooms have 'hidden' compartments under the wooden floor, would that be a good place to hide it? Another suggestion I have is in my closet - I have a decently sized closet that's basically used for storing boxes and shopping bags - would it be possible to have a set-up in there with no odour coming from my room? It would certainly be very risky to grow at the commune, but as I said I would really like to do a test run.

• Also, what is the average yield from the average plant? I know it probably varies greatly, but how much can you expect from a plant? I am a consumer, so I want to consume 8-) .
  • How expensive does the typical indoor set-up cost? I see people with really fancy equipment, but I'm talking about the basic set-up that just grows the plant and let it flower properly.

We have had a few plants grow in the garden by itself because of the seeds that somehow end up in the flower bedding.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. I'm reading thread-by-thread carefully to try and learn, I must say all the lingo confuses me but a few more days/weeks/months and I will have the hang of it :P .

Jellytot try a outdoor grow, plant a seed or 10 lol  its outdoor season post a grow log guidance will be here.

Its just december now Toby an 420's must of harvested recently leaving them in a vegetative state on mind lol but the Guru's will make a comeback soon

What else you hiding in your house if you scared they will search your whole house?

A few of us are smokers so obviously we each have a bankie in our rooms, so yes a search by police could most likely net them 20g of weed, not to mention the plant. I'm sure none of you want police searching your house either, nor would you want to take an unnecessary risk to invite them inside...

It all depends on how big(or small) you wanna go...

Some people have grown in PC cases so that's the kinda micro grow you could consider. How big are these hidden compartments? How will you get electricity to it?

Yield? Expect 10 to 20 gramms max from a micro grow

Cost depends on the setup you choose to go for. Lights, ventilation etc.

Yea.. You see if they come into your place and find one little micro grow or if they find say a tent that's holding say 4 descent plants, the charge is gonna be pretty much the same.. So rather go a bit bigger just to make the whole thing worth your time and efforts. And remember if anything goes wrong... Jointhequeue

It all depends on how big(or small) you wanna go...

Some people have grown in PC cases so that's the kinda micro grow you could consider. How big are these hidden compartments? How will you get electricity to it?

Yield? Expect 10 to 20 gramms max from a micro grow

Cost depends on the setup you choose to go for. Lights, ventilation etc.

@420SA I would prefer to start off small as this would be my first attempt. Same reason why I would want to do it as cheap as possible. The hidden compartments are big enough for about 3-4 pots of plants, the problem would be height. The space underneath the floorboards are probably 0,5m. Electricity would definitely also be a problem as the 'hatch' would have to be slightly open to allow a cable to run into it. The owner or agent rarely enters my room, as they are not allowed to enter. I think the best chance would be in my closet - it would be a lot easier to even just grow 1 plant in there without hiding it in another box - the only problem would be the smell. Would you suggest I rather wait until I move into another premises to try outdoor grow first before trying to grow indoor? Regarding the closet, if I do manage to get a pot small enough and have it inside a case, or not even bother with a case at all and just have the plant sit in my closet, how would watering exactly work? It will make a mess most probably, wouldn't it? I can sort out electricity for the closet, but my biggest concerns would be the smell and how to water it.

@4207365 I understand the economics you're saying, but flaunting dagga plants in the yard will just invite trouble. It has to be discreet. I am a tenant after all. I might be able to grow a plant outside without having the owner or agent notice, but the gardener would definitely notice, and either rip it out or let the owner know. My safest option for now would be inside my room where no suspicion can be raised. I'm not too worried about yield return - as I said, I just want to learn how to grow and the first few attempts will most likely definitely fail. The goal would be to grow my own weed instead of having to buy - but I am very patient so if that only happens in a year or two then so be it. Also just to comment on the quantity of dagga. Less is definitely safer. If you are caught with 115 grams or more then you can be charged with drug dealing - which carries a hefty sentence. If you have even just 1 plant then you can also be charged with drug dealing, but it's a lot easier getting rid of 1 plant. If you only have 20 grams on your premises then you will most likely just get a small fine (which you definitely should not pay as it is an 'admission of guilt fine' which will get you a criminal record), and the case wouldn't go any further in court.

Thanks for your input guys.

@Jellytot, if you're planning on growing in your closet, I suggest 1st getting your ambient temp. If it's higher than 25 degrees in there, you could have issues with heat this time of year. Then also, a carbon filter would help with the smell and choose a strain that doesn't smell much. Apparently northern light isn't very stinky. Watering shouldn't be an issue if your pots have those saucer thingies. I drilled a small hole in mine with a piece of pipe that leads into a bottle to catch the run off. Another thing is the extraction fan, a good 120mm silent pc fan can move enough air in a small space.

I'm still a noob at this, busy with my 1st grow, and these are issues I had initially. Also, I suggest getting some of that CCPS as your growing medium, it worked wonders for my plants.

Start with bag seed, just to get a feel for it. 

:-peace

• 2 months later...