Fungus Gnats

Teal Smith

@PsyCLown I'm hoping that the high dose of Pyrol I gave 2 days ago will kill the adults as they emerge (if all the other stuff doesn't already), or soon after, soon enough before they can lay more eggs. And as a double stop, apparently Pyrol kills eggs on contact too, so that should catch them also. I may need to spray the surface with it again in about a week.  

Another idea I had was buying predatory bugs and introducing them into the tent. Not sure if you've had experience with this? or if there is even a bug that'll work against gnats... But I'm thinking this would probs work better for pests that sit on the leaves and stems rather than under the medium's surface.

• Like 1

Happy Sunday everyone :) An update re the gnats... The extreme drying out and DE & then the H202 and Silicon Plus when watering seems to have kept the gnats under control. It's worth mentioning that both the H202 and Silicon have really low EC (full doses of both only brought my EC to 0.1), so worked out fine as I wanted to avoid any type of feeding while girls are finishing up. I noticed an especially big difference when I increased my usual low dose of Silicon to the recommended dose on the bottle. Some pots still have the larvae moving about when I add small amounts of water... This is day 5 since I discovered the larvae and so they should turn into gnats soon... But most of the girls are almost done now so  :rastabanana so about to put them into their 2 days of dark. I'm thinking even if the gnats emerge they won't have much time to screw things up too badly.

...and the Margaret Roberts Insectacide for the gnats hasn't arrived yet. So the jury is still out on that one but I hear really good things. 

Next time I'll be adding cinnamon to the medium and hope to avoid this altogether.

Edited by Teal Smith
  • Like 2