Help with fan & Filter

PSY-E

Hi guys, I need some help in selecting the correct fan and filter.

I ordered a Mars Hydro 1.2x1.2x2m tent as well as LED light system.

Now I need to buy an extraction fan and filter. Is a filter required? What size fan and filter should I get for the tent size? What do you guys suggest between plastic and metal?

Thank you

• Like 1

Welcome!

Your name is awfully close to mine 😛 

A carbon filter is to help mask the smell of the plants, especially once they start flowering. The air passes through the carbon, the smell basically attaches to the carbon and what comes out is air which is smell free (or heavily reduced). So whether it is required or not will depend on you and your situation etc.

As for the sized fan, well, with LED lighting heat is not an issue, you could likely get away with a 4" fan, otherwise a 6" fan and run it on a lower setting for less noise should work well too.

I'd personally go for a 6" fan as its more common and you can always increase the speed if need be. As for the size of the filter, well, its a small grow space so do not need a large one. Probably between 30 to 50cm long is fine but also keep in mind the larger the carbon filter the more carbon and therefore the longer it could possibly last.

Not sure what you are asking about with regards to plastic vs metal? For what exactly? The fans and/or filter? Either or really...

My fans are made from plastic, its common. The filters are generally metal, although I have seen some difference designs. I would not bother with plastic vs metal as a deciding factor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Fantastic, thank you so much for the response.

So in short, best bet is a 6" fan and a carbon filter of around 50cm.

Should I be concerned with the m3/h of the filter vs the fan?

Then, I've been looking at the HIT150 fans, I see they have 3 different speeds one can wire for. How would I know at what speed to run it for the filter being used?

Sorry for all the questions, I just started out with this and wow everything is adding up very quickly price wise 🙂 . I am also trying to learn as much as possible and realize that I might be over complicating some aspects.

Thanks a gain for the help.

• Like 1

Yeah, a grow with decent equipment adds up very quickly indeed.

The carbon filter will have a rated airflow rate, the fan should not exceed this otherwise smell can leak.

When connecting a fan to a filter, I believe the airflow is reduced by around 20%, you would need to work out the airflow exchange rate for your tent.

There are a few calculators you can find online which will help you figure out the airflow the fan needs to be rated for in order to ensure it meets your needs.

1 hour ago, PSY-E said:

I've been looking at the HIT150 fans

The idea behind using the 6" fan is that you would rather run a bigger fan slower than a smaller fan faster. You will extend the life of your fan and it will also be more quiet. 

I personally use the HIT 150 in a 2.4x1.2x2 tent (double your size) with ease, and I only currently run it at half speed, and that's with HID bulbs too! 

So in my opinion, you can easily run a HIT 150 on low speed and you'll be good, then just adjust to a higher setting if you want to lower humidity or heat (all other factors accounted for) and when you connect your filter. Also, no need to run a filter during veg. 

Thanks so much guys, your advice makes perfect sense.

Last 2 questions, If I don't use the filter with the HIT150 fan, how do I fix the ducting to the inside of the tent for extraction? Or do I not use ducting...then ho do I fix the fan to the tent outlet?

_Evan, which filter do you currently use...or which local brand/size would you use with the HIT150 on slow/medium in my tent?

Thanks again guys.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PSY-E said:

Thanks so much guys, your advice makes perfect sense.

Last 2 questions, If I don't use the filter with the HIT150 fan, how do I fix the ducting to the inside of the tent for extraction? Or do I not use ducting...then ho do I fix the fan to the tent outlet?

_Evan, which filter do you currently use...or which local brand/size would you use with the HIT150 on slow/medium in my tent?

Thanks again guys.

The HIT series of fans come with brackets that can easily fit between two poles in your grow tent, I then simply use zip ties to fix the brackets to the tent poles. I will just keep the intake side clear and run the outtake ducting to the outside through a window. This allows fresh cool air to be drawn up from the bottom of the tent which also really helps to clear any hot air.

20200914_154529.thumb.jpg.615fff74f40443ae5c3518ab7ba92e75.jpg 20200914_154539.thumb.jpg.3d5b7340d288e332fb638cb13d147d34.jpg

Should probably remove that mirror 🤔

In terms of the filter, I specifically use the Quantum Filter 150mm x 400mm for my 6" HIT fan, but I haven't seen it around since 🤨

For you, I'd probably just go for the shortest 150mm filter you can find, probably will be a 150mm x 300mm. It'll do.