PH challenge Edenvale

Trailblazer420

My plants have not been looking extremely happy for the last few days, looked like pH, but I wasn't convinced as I haven't had this kind of issue before. Decided to do a flush tonight during which I measure the tap waters' pH. 9.3!!!!!!!

I've included some pH charts in case there are some confusion around this with all the new growers.

ab113bc43076b908b824a25ba7e3c2b7.jpg0a558b5b70f0cb0d3b032a6d79a10693.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would say PH down vir dood. You should probably also take a look at the ppm of the tap-water if possible, sound brackish.

Living in a few different places over years I have come to think that sometimes our municipalities tend to "nuke" the water supply if things get out of hand, pathogens are found, or whatever health concern.

Taking a shower and smelling like you just got out of a swimming pool is usually a sign that the supply has been "nuked" (for lack of a better word). This usually goes away in about a week or so.

Another experiment you can try is to leave a bucket of tap water bubbling (or just standing in sunlight) for 24 hr to 48 hr. Take ph readings and ppm again to compare, if there is a significant change it would mean the "nuking" situation. If PH is not changing I would guess it is the brackish situation.

My 2 cents, all just from experience, anybody can feel free to correct me.

:-greenthumb

Edited by Dank
grammar mistakes

50 minutes ago, Dank said:

I would say PH down vir dood. You should probably also take a look at the ppm of the tap-water if possible, sound brackish.

Living in a few different places over years I have come to think that sometimes our municipalities tend to "nuke" the water supply if things get out of hand, pathogens are found, or whatever health concern.

Taking a shower and smelling like you just got out of a swimming pool is usually a sign that the supply has been "nuked" (for lack of a better word). This usually goes away in about a week or so.

Another experiment you can try is to leave a bucket of tap water bubbling (or just standing in sunlight) for 24 hr to 48 hr. Take ph readings and ppm again to compare, if there is a significant change it would mean the "nuking" situation. If PH is not changing I would guess it is the brackish situation.

My 2 cents, all just from experience, anybody can feel free to correct me.

:-greenthumb

Chlorine makes water acidic, it means his water is jacked fill of calcium or some other basing agent.

5 minutes ago, greenkush said:

Chlorine makes water acidic, it means his water is jacked fill of calcium or some other basing agent.

Liquid chlorine will raise the pH more than powder chlorine. Either muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate can be used to neutralize these alkaline compounds. The pHincreases caused by either liquid or powder chlorine are usually not as great as the drop caused by chlorine gas. In some cases no pH adjustment may be needed.

source - gslabs.com/pools_pH.html

11 minutes ago, Dank said:

Liquid chlorine will raise the pH more than powder chlorine. Either muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate can be used to neutralize these alkaline compounds. The pHincreases caused by either liquid or powder chlorine are usually not as great as the drop caused by chlorine gas. In some cases no pH adjustment may be needed.

source - gslabs.com/pools_pH.html

We're assuming the municipalities are running off to their local spar and buying bags of sodium hypocholorite and and pool acid. Trichlorine, and Dichlorine all decrease ph as well as the gas that you posted. 

We were assuming that all Chlorine drops the PH of water, not sure if our municipalities are all using ClO2, because it does not alter taste and odor of the water. This only stays in the water supply for a day perhaps.

Where i live the water smell like that of a swimming pool. 

Rand Water

randwater.co.za/CorporateResponsibility/WWE/Pages/tapwater.aspx

CHLORINATION

Even after the water has been filtered it still contains some germs.  In order to kill these germs, chlorine gas is bubbled through the water.  This is called chlorination.

WATER SUPPLY

This clean water is then  pumped through underground pipes to booster pumping stations.  As the chlorine is only effective for 6 - 8 hours it is necessary to add chloramine (chlorine & ammonia) to kill any other germs that might get into the water.  From the booster pumping stations the water is pumped into reservoirs and then sold to the various municipalities that supply homes, schools, businesses and factories with clean healthy water.