views and opinions on adding co2 to the grow box

transkei bones

Hi guys just wanted to know what you think about adding co2  to the grow box and what methods and experience a have been used and workedd properly. I am thinking about trying to make a diy one just not sure how effective it's going to be. Or Should I rather bite the bullet and go the guaranteed way with  tank, regulater .and the rest of what's needed. Thanks. 

Guest Maxwell

Your box has to be sealed. No point in adding CO2 if it will just dissipate before being used. You probably need to link the CO2 regulator to a thermostat, probably the easiest way to control it. Otherwise it'll be a bit of maths to figure out how much needs to be released. Also you CO2 should shut off at least half an hour before lights off to ensure all the gas is vented. The way I'd do it is: Exhaust and CO2 on a thermostat, Exhaust comes on at 34 degrees, at a 3 minute delay. Then your CO2 is connected to the heating outlet, and comes on at 26 degrees, with a delay too. The down side to this method is that you may not reach the ideal CO2 levels before reaching maximum temperature. IMO CO2 is only worth it if done properly. 600ppm of CO2 in my mind is not worth the however many rands to add it. 1200ppm is what you want during lights on, all day, everyday - Nail that and it pays itself off. Sort of. You should buy two tanks so you have one ready to swap out. Higher CO2 means higher rate of Photosynthesis, more food, more water. Your CO2 drops for a day or two and your plants will skrik from the high nutes. Then ofc CO2 adds heat, which is fine as you can grow well into the 30's with CO2, but if you tip past 36, then you're just flushing your money down the loo as the CO2 won't be used as effectively. Look forward to the results!  :-peace

I agree with Max.

If you dont have all the variables in place with a substantial sized grow, you are going to waste alot of money.

On the other hand if you are just doing a few plants for personal use, then using the fermenting process, dry ice or even burning a lamp in the room will increase the C02 level slightly and your plants will use it, so its not a waste of money.  I have had success with a box I built back in 'nam, its was roughly 800x800  with 1x 400W HPS and with 2x 2L coke bottle in there my growth shot up noticeably.

I always believe that you have to try something to know how its gonna work, you cant rely on other growers experiences cause all our set ups are different.

Let us know your findings.

I've read mixed views on the sugar, water  and yeast method.

Any opinions on adding co2 using that method?

Waste of time dude. At the rate we need to vent our growing spaces, there is no time for the CO2 saturation to really get into that 1500ppm you aim for.

If you want to go a CO2 route, you better be prepared to go the whole hog, and seal off your grow space, add the necessary humidifier, and de humidifier, AC unit, and extraction. Then all that needs to be hooked up to expensive climate control gear to manipulate every single aspect of the environment. Once all that is place, then only should you consider adding CO2 IMHO. However, I am severely OCD and that's just me.

There are as many ways to set up a grow space as what there are growers, so experiment, and share your results.  :-puffin