Brick Grow Room

SHiNi

Hey guys so I'm gonna be building a structure in the yard with M190 cement blocks I'm thinking of encorperating a grow space in the plans.Still deciding on the exact size what I want to know is when it comes to insulation what can I use? The space will be plastered just thinking that I will need some type of insulation.Any ideas or suggestions welcome thanks in advance.

Edited by SHiNi
Missing words
  • Like 1

You 100% correct. Cavity wall would have been 1st prize. 

Your main concern is summer. Now in winter you wont have an major issue you can't fix but summer is going to be your headache. 

If you are able to get a airconditioner you won't need any insolation because you will have a heater, cooler and dehumidifier in one. 

Or you can go ape shit on the shade cloth and cover the whole structure including roof. I know someone that did this with their single garage, it looked ugly but it worked. 

The structure itself is going to dictate your grow space conditions to a certain point. 

• Like 2

And here I thought I had to insulate against the cold lol.So would you advise I build the grow section add on, on the side that won't get direct sun? Properly insulate the roof since it will be IBR sheets only with structural timber.Or could I use Styrofoam as thick as cold storage rooms and add a panel to each wall of the grow space and one on the roof part aswell.Trying to not let the outside environment affect that grow space like have its own climate.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SHiNi said:

And here I thought I had to insulate against the cold lol.So would you advise I build the grow section add on, on the side that won't get direct sun? Properly insulate the roof since it will be IBR sheets only with structural timber.Or could I use Styrofoam as thick as cold storage rooms and add a panel to each wall of the grow space and one on the roof part aswell.Trying to not let the outside environment affect that grow space like have its own climate.

All the above will help except the foam might not work because you will still be pulling hot air from outside or inside the structure 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheLazyFisherman said:

All the above will help except the foam might not work because you will still be pulling hot air from outside or inside the structure 👍

That is true yes didn't think of that so aircon it will have to be then.I understand now what you mean control the temperature in the structure and it will control the temp in the growspace except fir humidity or do I have it wrong.Thanks alot bro i appreciate it really.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SHiNi said:

That is true yes didn't think of that so aircon it will have to be then.I understand now what you mean control the temperature in the structure and it will control the temp in the growspace except fir humidity or do I have it wrong.Thanks alot bro i appreciate it really.

Yes same like what you would refer to as a  "lung room". Aircon with resolve both high humidity and temp issues. With summers low humidity...you can either just add a bucket of water in the space or the more expensive option of a actual mister or humidifier.👍

Myself moving from a 2.4 x 1.2 tent in a double garage to a 60x60cm tent in a spare room it can get tricky with either one having it's own extremes.

*Humidity. My experience in CPT. Further north it's the opposite humidity and season-wise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SHiNi said:

Was even thinking of adding fillable foam in the cavities of the blocks just for the grow section lol.Airconditioners is crazy expensive or you talking about a portable one just for the grow space?

Sorry I missed this one. I had both types of aircon. The portable is a waste unless its' a  "dual hose model" which is more expensive than a split unit, very inefficient.

And yes, expanding foam is very expensive...not a option

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TheLazyFisherman said:

Sorry I missed this one. I had both types of aircon. The portable is a waste unless its' a  "dual hose model" which is more expensive than a split unit, very inefficient.

And yes, expanding foam is very expensive...not a option

Never knew portables could be more expensive then split models.I think I'll have to invest in a split model for the structure.

Myself moving from a 2.4 x 1.2 tent in a double garage to a 60x60cm tent in a spare room it can get tricky with either one having it's own extremes.

*Humidity. My experience in CPT. Further north it's the opposite humidity and season-wise.

Sorry to hear that bro must have been a big adjustment to make going from the big space to almost one plant.

You could even aircon your main house and pull that air into the structure in your yard .Depends on your pocket really

I think that would probably work out more expensive if I had to guess lol.

• Like 2