Coco in Fabric pots.......

Good afternoon all.....

I wonder, are fabric pots good to use with Coco?. I'm early into a grow. I have auto feed dripper set for 5mins every 6hrs and am getting+/_ 10% runoff at each event!. The thing that concerns me is how the fabric pots remain very wet (bottom 10%) until next fertigation!. It's almost as if the fabric is holding in the water and not draining through properly!. I've even got algea starting in places!. The plant is only 3 weeks old so I don't expect the roots are near the bottom yet so I'm wondering if I should try another type of pot for the Coco. I know coco needs to be kept moist but these fabric pots seem to retain wetness at the bottom?. Maybe some people punch holes in the bottom????.

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.......

9 minutes ago, Furbrain said:

Good afternoon all.....

I wonder, are fabric pots good to use with Coco?. I'm early into a grow. I have auto feed dripper set for 5mins every 6hrs and am getting+/_ 10% runoff at each event!. The thing that concerns me is how the fabric pots remain very wet (bottom 10%) until next fertigation!. It's almost as if the fabric is holding in the water and not draining through properly!. I've even got algea starting in places!. The plant is only 3 weeks old so I don't expect the roots are near the bottom yet so I'm wondering if I should try another type of pot for the Coco. I know coco needs to be kept moist but these fabric pots seem to retain wetness at the bottom?. Maybe some people punch holes in the bottom????.

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.......

Or maybe line the bottom with clay balls?????????

• 9 months later...

Are you using perlite in your Coco/mix? I’m using coco in bags too and at the moment they are staying fairly wet towards the bottom.Mainly because temps have been lower and the plants are not transpiring much!

Also I think the water/fert column moves slowly down by gravity just like any container,you just don’t see it in a rigid container.

as long as you have enough drainage in your medium you should be fine.I do a 60/30 coco perlite mix and once the roots are coming out the bottom they dry fairly quickly.