STS tips for first time feminizing?

I just got my STS ingredients and now just need to wait for a few clones to get big enough. While I'm waiting I'm looking for some tips on how best to do things

A few questions I have so far 

• I see a few articles saying that its best to use multiple plants (i.e. feminize one, pollinate the other). The argument seems to be that the pollen is ready before the flowers are. But if I collect the pollen, which I'd want to do anyway, there is there any real disadvantage to using one plant? Logistically it seems simpler to isolate a single plant...
  • How do you isolate the plant and ensure no pollen spreads? Obviously a separate tent, but I'm sure that is not enough. I'd guess I'd have to have the separated as far away from one other as possible (different rooms). What type of filter? (stockings wont work right?)
  • What schedule do you recommend for STS?
  • Rough timeframe?
  • Any good articles / books I should look at?

Thanks

• Like 2

Wazzup @highchome

So using two different plant is best in terms of genetics, not ideal to pollinate the plant with the pollen from that plant. So this applies to 2x cuttings from the same plant. Ideally you want plants from 2 different seeds.

However you can use the pollen from the same cutting on another cutting which is the same, or even the same plant.

Separating plants and keeping pollen from going to places it should not be is a bit difficult, plastic bags, little to no air movement and as much distance as possible help. I have typically killed the plant once I have managed to get as much pollen from it as needed and I use the pollen outside to help keep my indoor area as clean as possible. Close all windows and door to help prevent pollen from getting in, it is a risk you will be taking. Change clothes and put the old clothes in the wash. Small things which add up and can help.

I think I was spraying every 4 days until I saw pollen sacs forming.

Been a while since I last used STS, I have a grow diary where I used STS to make seeds... Possibly documented timeline in there a bit but off the top of my head I think 2 weeks roughly.

No sure about articles or books, however I found spraying the entire plant - leaves and all helped and made a difference. Some sources said not to spray the leaves, which I tried but was quicker and better when I did spray the leaves.

Keep the STS in a cool DARK place, it is light sensitive and heat sensitive. So keep it in an airtight bottle wrapped in tin foil in the fridge type of thing to prolong the life. Do not get it on anything as it can stain, wash it off yourself if you spill a bit on you.

Good luck! 😄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1